Maple Leaf Gardens II

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bit of a random historical question for you guys: before the Toronto Maple Leafs bought the Toronto Raptors and the Air Canada Centre in the late 90s, there was some talk about the Leafs building their own downtown arena. I don't remember exactly where it was to be located, (it might have been at Dundas Square), but does anyone have a link to the architect's rendering of the interior and exterior?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
They were going to build the arena right on top of the Union Station tracks, which would have literally been steps away from the ACC.

Here is a rendering of the exterior:

20140221-ACC-Union.jpg

If I recall correctly, the interior would have been what the ACC is now, while the Raptors arena would have been all grey seats. The Leafs bought the Raptors and ACC in time where they could modify the design of the arena.

I remember following these developments passionately. I even clipped out the interior rendering as shown in the Toronto Sun and still have it in a binder at home.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They were going to build the arena right on top of the Union Station tracks, which would have literally been steps away from the ACC.

Here is a rendering of the exterior:

20140221-ACC-Union.jpg

If I recall correctly, the interior would have been what the ACC is now, while the Raptors arena would have been all grey seats. The Leafs bought the Raptors and ACC in time where they could modify the design of the arena.

I remember following these developments passionately. I even clipped out the interior rendering as shown in the Toronto Sun and still have it in a binder at home.

Modify to some degree as I recall. Isn't that why there are some obstructed seats?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Modify to some degree as I recall. Isn't that why there are some obstructed seats?

I presume this is correct. I don't remember how far along the arena was in its development, which would have made it impossible to reconfigure the arena, but the Leafs got in there before the seats started going in which allowed them to go with the coloured seating system like the old MLG.

I'm trying to remember if the Raptors designed the arena to accomodate hockey so they could lure the Leafs in as they were the first ones to the arena punch. There was some haggling between the teams' owners before each came to their senses and brought both teams under the same roof.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I presume this is correct. I don't remember how far along the arena was in its development, which would have made it impossible to reconfigure the arena, but the Leafs got in there before the seats started going in which allowed them to go with the coloured seating system like the old MLG.

I'm trying to remember if the Raptors designed the arena to accomodate hockey so they could lure the Leafs in as they were the first ones to the arena punch. There was some haggling between the teams' owners before each came to their senses and brought both teams under the same roof.

Yep, this is how I got my season seats.

I can't imagine any original design would have included obstructed views and not have included hockey. The Leafs must have added something(more suites?) which caused the obstruction.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I probably won't live to see it but my dream is that the Leafs' next stadium will be built on the old MLG site integrating the exterior walls of the old place into the shell of the structure. The ACC really turned out to be little more than a passable stadium with far too many obstructed views for hockey and very little distinctive character. The Leafs should be playing in a great building.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00