Recalled/Assigned: Mantha

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Mantha is so fragile that these comments knock his confidence or mess up his psychology he has bigger issues as a prospect. You need to be mentally strong to play professional sports. Furthermore, Holland left the door open for the kid to come back up if he has a good AHL showing.

Ya'll are blowing this way out of proportion.

Except nobody is actually worried about Mantha's feelings and that's been said so many times.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
To me the most interesting thing about Holland's comments is how out of character they are. Kenny is pretty tight lipped about damn near everything, to a fault. This is so far from his generic answers that it is a little concerning.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Even if: To toughen you up , your frustrated GM just calls you out in public. Yeah...

Go to work and call someone a spare part to all the other employees and see if that doesn't stir up a bee's nest.

Janice from accounting, you know it's true!! You've been coasting Janice!

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Go to work and call someone a spare part to all the other employees and see if that doesn't stir up a bee's nest.

Janice from accounting, you know it's true!! You've been coasting Janice!

This one is worth some Bench Bucks. :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To me the most interesting thing about Holland's comments is how out of character they are. Kenny is pretty tight lipped about damn near everything, to a fault. This is so far from his generic answers that it is a little concerning.

What comments were made regarding Mantha?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If Mantha is so fragile that these comments knock his confidence or mess up his psychology he has bigger issues as a prospect. You need to be mentally strong to play professional sports. Furthermore, Holland left the door open for the kid to come back up if he has a good AHL showing.

Ya'll are blowing this way out of proportion.

Yep, this is where I'm at. Big over-reaction around here. I doubt these comments affect Mantha at all really. He already knew he is not yet an NHL regular and needs to keep working on things to get to that point. He's focused squarely on hockey right now. This phenomenon of always worrying about prospects' feelings on this board is strange to me.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yep, this is where I'm at. Big over-reaction around here. I doubt these comments affect Mantha at all really. He already knew he is not yet an NHL regular and needs to keep working on things to get to that point. He's focused squarely on hockey right now. This phenomenon of always worrying about prospects' feelings on this board is strange to me.

Repeating this narrative over and over doesn't mean that's true for the majority of criticism here.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah it's totally Mantha's feelings this thread is about.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why lie and say people are worried about his feelings, thats not it.

Its out of character and unprofessional, if it werent, we would have been hearing the same.or.simmilar things about almost all our prospects of the years but we dint or haven't

This was said out of frustration because fans and the media are no longer buying everythi.g kenny is selling

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Crying tears of a rapper...

sWcnAML.gif

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am at a point where I am more entertained by watching the youngsters play and try to do something they haven't before, than watching the old guard fail at the same old task over and over again. If I thought the old guard had a reasonable probability of success, the inverse would be true. In the end, this makes me very partial to Mantha.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Repeating this narrative over and over doesn't mean that's true for the majority of criticism here.

I'm not saying it's a majority, I don't know what the % is, but it doesn't matter. There are numerous posts about Mantha and his confidence being damaged, or how he as possibly soured on the Wings, or how he should ask for a trade. Hurt feelings indeed.

And really, if we're not worried about Mantha's 'feelings,' or play being affected, then there's really no tangible reason for this topic about Holland's comments to exist. It's a non-issue.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
If I read that about myself in the media I'd be ready to move on to a GM that wasn't so quick to throw me under the bus when people question his moves.

If you aren't worried about Mantha's feelings being hurt, then why bother posting this?

This is what I'm talking about. This is an over-reaction. And there are a number of posts like it here.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
And really, if we're not worried about Mantha's 'feelings,' or play being affected, then there's really no tangible reason for this topic about Holland's comments to exist. It's a non-issue.

The biggest reason I am a little concerned is Holland's comments give the impression he doesn't view Mantha as a big part of the future. Other posts have talked about this as well. Most likely a stretch, but there are reasons to talk about this other than Mantha's feelings.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't know that Mantha's feelings are hurt but you can't know that they aren't. Sure we'd like to imagine him as a tough guy but he's just a person. He's also young. Who the **** knows how sensitive he is. I'm sure some hockey players are rocks. I'm sure some suffer from depression. I'm sure some have intense pride and others don't give a ****. People are just people. Some react differently than others. You just can't know.

I mean imagine that you have a passion. You get an incredible job that's a once in a lifetime chance. You'll be fulfilling your lifelong dream of prosecuting felonious mimes. What you've been studying your whole life for. And then your boss shows up on NBC and tells the world "theotherone is just a spare part, I don't know why anyone thinks he's going to be a difference maker". Am I Are you just going to brush it off or is it going to be in the back of your mind every time you show up to work? Maybe you make one mistake too many and get fired and become a fry cook and suddenly there's a crime wave of felonious mimes and you could have stopped it if only someone had given you a little positive reinforcement, a little push in the right direction. But now mimes run the world and there's ain't **** you can do about it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If you aren't worried about Mantha's feelings being hurt, then why bother posting this?

This is what I'm talking about. This is an over-reaction. And there are a number of posts like it here.

It's about being with a franchise that believes you are a difference maker. That could be a strictly professional consideration for career, NOT feelings. We're talking potentially millions of dollars for this kid. If my boss is giving me so-so performance reviews, in public, and that's capping my salary potential why the hell wouldn't I seek a new employer?

Maybe I'm the problem and things stay the same at the new job, but you couldn't blame me for wanting to try a new opportunity to succeed. It's really logical. No weak feelings involved.

Other reasons it matters:
1) Mantha's trade value
2) Holland's professionalism
3) Janice seriously I know you ate my Cheetos your fingers look like orange sausages!!

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
What comments were made regarding Mantha?

I am paraphrasing because I don't have the link, but Holland called him a spare part on the 4th line, there was a criticism about his points in the AHL playoffs last year, and he said Mantha wasn't the answer to making the playoffs.

Aug 6, 2012
I am at a point where I am more entertained by watching the youngsters play and try to do something they haven't before, than watching the old guard fail at the same old task over and over again. If I thought the old guard had a reasonable probability of success, the inverse would be true. In the end, this makes me very partial to Mantha.

Same.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am paraphrasing because I don't have the link, but Holland called him a spare part on the 4th line, there was a criticism about his points in the AHL playoffs last year, and he said Mantha wasn't the answer to making the playoffs.

Went back and found the actual quotes.

Definitely a poor choice of words by Holland.

"Why does anyone think he's going to be the answer in Detroit".

Lol... Takes me back to 13-14 when Nyquist was left off the team, and many posters on here tried to downplay that by saying "Nyquist isn't some savior"... then fast forward to spring and he pretty much single-handedly dragged us to the playoffs.

Sometimes these kids just need the opportunity.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Went back and found the actual quotes.

Definitely a poor choice of words by Holland.

Lol... Takes me back to 13-14 when Nyquist was left off the team, and many posters on here tried to downplay that by saying "Nyquist isn't some savior"... then fast forward to spring and he pretty much single-handedly dragged us to the playoffs.

Sometimes these kids just need the opportunity.

Letting prospects "over ripe" is definitely hit and miss. Gus and Tatar should have been up much sooner. AA and Marchenko benefitted from time in the minors. I think Jurco was called up too early.

The Zetterberg Era has posted about Mantha being a slow starter at new levels, he is better off getting big minutes in the minors.

Playing Joker over Jurco, Pulkinnen, and Mantha is crazy to me, but what do I know.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

That quote is so funny to me because it's so easy to answer. Well, Ken, because we assume you might be good at your job and you picked him in the top 20 of the draft. If he's not an answer, what the hell were you doing?

If Mantha isn't that good and is a problem child, guess who failed on that one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad