Mantha likely out again Wednesday(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Mantha is that much of a problem then we need to trade him as soon as we get a decent package instead of hanging onto him forever and hoping he changes his stripes. That, or we just embrace the shortcomings.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Sorry, but this is just all wrong. Like the exact opposite.

You don't bench players for production, typically. You bench players for commitment issues, or attitude problems, or lollygagging.

You also bench the incomplete new guys because they are incomplete. You have a chance to fix those issues before they become set in their ways.

You also bench guys because it will make them better. Benching Glendening or DeKeyser isn't going to do much good. They seem to be doing the best they can already. Mantha can be better.

Sheahan has to play at 100% to stay on the roster. Glendening too. Helm. DeKeyser. Jensen. Zetterberg. Whether that's good enough or not is an entirely different discussion. Mantha doesn't get to put in 75% effort, even if he's out producing everyone.

This whole Mantha benching thing has just brought out so many people and so many opinions that just don't seem to be based on reality.

Yup, people are hung up on production instead of the real (correctable) issue. Mantha would have seen the wrath of Babcock if he was here. He would have gotten the Tatar treatment 10-x-fold.

Benching Mantha will likely do more good than harm to for his NHL career.

If Mantha is that much of a problem then we need to trade him as soon as we get a decent package instead of hanging onto him forever and hoping he changes his stripes. That, or we just embrace the shortcomings.

I've been one of the few here that's been completely onboard trading Mantha, Larkin and Mrazek for the right return. Problem is their collective value has dropped significantly and won't return their worth. May as well just keep them now.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've been one of the few here that's been completely onboard trading Mantha, Larkin and Mrazek for the right return. Problem is their collective value has dropped significantly and won't return their worth. May as well just keep them now.

Gotta play them and hope they play well, though, if you want to rebuild their value. Even if you don't like their habits or whatever, if you can get them to put up points, they become movable.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Blabhill and Holland are trashing this franchise with horrible contracts and ridiculous personnel decisions like this nonsense with Mantha. Dangling the "maybe he will or may he won't " stuff publicly is just a Blashill distraction away from the root cause of a failing season: WE HAVE NO COACH!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sorry, but this is just all wrong. Like the exact opposite.

You don't bench players for production, typically. You bench players for commitment issues, or attitude problems, or lollygagging.

You also bench the incomplete new guys because they are incomplete. You have a chance to fix those issues before they become set in their ways.

You also bench guys because it will make them better. Benching Glendening or DeKeyser isn't going to do much good. They seem to be doing the best they can already. Mantha can be better.

Sheahan has to play at 100% to stay on the roster. Glendening too. Helm. DeKeyser. Jensen. Zetterberg. Whether that's good enough or not is an entirely different discussion. Mantha doesn't get to put in 75% effort, even if he's out producing everyone.

This whole Mantha benching thing has just brought out so many people and so many opinions that just don't seem to be based on reality.
Your entire argument is based on the notions that:

1) Players shouldn't get benched for extended bad play.
2) The majority of this roster hasn't been guilty of at least occasional bad effort.

I disagree with both.

If a guy plays like trash, even if he's giving 100 percent, he needs the occasional break. And I can count on one hand the players that haven't had at least a couple bad effort games.

Again, benching anybody to send a message is fine. But when 90 percent of the roster has at least occasionally been both lousy and lazy, the wrath needs to fall on both the young and old. Not necessarily equally, but there isn't a single player not named Zetterberg that hasn't deserved to sit at least ONE game this year.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Your entire argument is based on the notions that:

1) Players shouldn't get benched for extended bad play.
2) The majority of this roster hasn't been guilty of at least occasional bad effort.

I disagree with both.

If a guy plays like trash, even if he's giving 100 percent, he needs the occasional break. And I can count on one hand the players that haven't had at least a couple bad effort games.

Again, benching anybody to send a message is fine. But when 90 percent of the roster has at least occasionally been both lousy and lazy, the wrath needs to fall on both the young and old. Not necessarily equally, but there isn't a single player not named Zetterberg that hasn't deserved to sit at least ONE game this year.

When players play poorly for extended periods of time, it's not benching, it's "being replaced" or "losing your roster spot".

And maybe you missed my point that benching isn't terribly useful for veterans that are set in their ways.

I guess a lot of people think benching is punishment. I disagree. Benching is a tool, usually a last resort, to get through to younger players in order for them to achieve their full potential.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
And maybe you missed my point that benching isn't terribly useful for veterans that are set in their ways.

Is DDK set in his ways? Is there nothing to improve? Is Sheahan? Even if that's true, shouldn't a player who's playing poorly sit occasionally for the guy behind him? Or are the veterans infallible, simply by virtue of being veterans?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Better lines

#RedWings lines at practice:
Tatar-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Mantha-Nielsen-Helm
Athanasiou-Larkin-Abdelkader
Miller/Callahan-Sheahan-Glendening

Also d-pairings are different

#RedWings defense pairs:
DeKeyser-Jensen
Kronwall-Green