Mantha likely out again Wednesday(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If he sits again, there sure better be.

The playoffs are out of reach, now is when you get the young guys experience.

I was OK with Mantha sitting for the ****cago game. Then I accepted that he'd sit for the NYR game because we just dominated chi and blash wouldn't want to tinker with the lineup much. But we just got destroyed, I think its time to bring mantha back. If he sits there must be more to the story than blash not liking the way he's playing recently.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Seriously, I'm still mad he sat for the NYR game, but if he's out Wednesday I'm gonna need some god damned information.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Mantha must feel like Cool Hand Luke right now.

I can see him digging ditches for Blashill, only to fill them up later.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was OK with Mantha sitting for the ****cago game. Then I accepted that he'd sit for the NYR game because we just dominated chi and blash wouldn't want to tinker with the lineup much. But we just got destroyed, I think its time to bring mantha back. If he sits there must be more to the story than blash not liking the way he's playing recently.

It definitely sounds like that's why he sat out the Rangers game.

"He's got a great ceiling," Blashill said. "My job is to make sure he reaches that ceiling. As him and I talked (Sunday), when you come out of the lineup, you leave the door open to not go back in, and our team played very good against Chicago (4-2 win Friday) and there was no way I was taking anybody out because of that."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._anthony_mantha_out_t.html#incart_river_index

Hopefully he'll be back tonight. And honestly Blashill should start reducing Zetterberg's minutes, though I have a feeling he won't until there's 0% mathematical chance they make the playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The article in the OP claims Detroit Free Press is it's source, but I haven't seen a related article or anything from HSJ on this.

So seems like it's just pure speculation to me. Although it could end up being right.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lol if it happens just trade him already and then continue to try and keep being competitive. Cause so far it's worked out amazingly. Manthas gonna hate the wings after he misses the cup this year

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
A maximum cap budget team is flailing to the bottom of the standings loaded with veteran players and the coach is sending messages to the youngest players.

The message might resonate more if there was absolutely any accountability for the players that were supposed to make this roster a playoff team. How about the guys who got lifetime Red Wing contracts? How about the players brought in with the intention of competing this year?

But no, a weak coach and management fall to the default safest plan. Let's send messages to the youth. You know, the guys who don't have the cache to push back and are getting paid a fraction of the rest of the team. You want to send messages? Fine. But you better do it across the entire roster, not just the most vulnerable players who have to play along to get their ice time back so they can keep begging coach to see the ice.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._anthony_mantha_out_t.html#incart_river_index

Sounds like Mantha will be in the lineup on Wednesday the way it sounds in this article. You people over react to every little thing you see or hear.

Sounds like he'll play, I agree:

The Red Wings did not practice Monday. Coach Blashill, following Sunday's 4-1 loss to the New York Rangers, declined to reveal whether Mantha will return to the lineup Wednesday at Colorado (9:30 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit Plus). But, chances are, he will play.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A maximum cap budget team is flailing to the bottom of the standings loaded with veteran players and the coach is sending messages to the youngest players.

The message might resonate more if there was absolutely any accountability for the players that were supposed to make this roster a playoff team. How about the guys who got lifetime Red Wing contracts? How about the players brought in with the intention of competing this year?

But no, a weak coach and management fall to the default safest plan. Let's send messages to the youth. You know, the guys who don't have the cache to push back and are getting paid a fraction of the rest of the team. You want to send messages? Fine. But you better do it across the entire roster, not just the most vulnerable players who have to play along to get their ice time back so they can keep begging coach to see the ice.
Totally agree. Having said that...

logic-you-have-no-power-here-thumb.jpg

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Sounds like he'll play, I agree:

The Red Wings did not practice Monday. Coach Blashill, following Sunday's 4-1 loss to the New York Rangers, declined to reveal whether Mantha will return to the lineup Wednesday at Colorado (9:30 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit Plus). But, chances are, he will play.

I figured he'd play tomorrow if we lost to the Rangers. Pretty much industry standard in terms of coaching. I guess it's funner to complain rather than looking at the reality.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
How can he fix the habits if he doesn't play? This is starting to seem really weird. Like they couldn't punish him during the playoff push, but now they're laying into him full force because there's nothing to lose.

Because he refuses (or has the inability) to fix his bad habits when playing. Since he refuses to fix his issues playing the game, maybe missing a whopping 2 games will better help send the message.

Mantha was drafted 20th overall instead of top 10 because of work ethics. At 22, those concerns are still going strong. But also may not be too late to "fix" it. The one thing he has going for him, based on his stuff he says during interviews, is he has a good attitude and wants to be better. Maybe he never will and he is what he is. But lets hope he can turn it around and become the player we hope he can be, instead of a *hindsight* "Kenny should have traded him when he had the chance" crowed starts barking their clear "whoulda, coulda, shoulda" 20/20 hindsight vision predictions that we see on here in every thread.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I figured he'd play tomorrow if we lost to the Rangers. Pretty much industry standard in terms of coaching. I guess it's funner to complain rather than looking at the reality.
That the team is filled with lousy players, yet a coach clearly in over his head keeps picking on the same incomplete yet talented young forward?

DeKeyser should have been benched half a dozen times by now. Shoot, Mike Green has deserved a few nights in the pressbox. Sheahan has played more like waiver fodder than a chip to retain at the deadline. And yet Mantha and AA comprise over 90 percent of the coach's wrath.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
That the team is filled with lousy players, yet a coach clearly in over his head keeps picking on the same incomplete yet talented young forward?

DeKeyser should have been benched half a dozen times by now. Shoot, Mike Green has deserved a few nights in the pressbox. Sheahan has played more like waiver fodder than a chip to retain at the deadline. And yet Mantha and AA comprise over 90 percent of the coach's wrath.

Sorry, but this is just all wrong. Like the exact opposite.

You don't bench players for production, typically. You bench players for commitment issues, or attitude problems, or lollygagging.

You also bench the incomplete new guys because they are incomplete. You have a chance to fix those issues before they become set in their ways.

You also bench guys because it will make them better. Benching Glendening or DeKeyser isn't going to do much good. They seem to be doing the best they can already. Mantha can be better.

Sheahan has to play at 100% to stay on the roster. Glendening too. Helm. DeKeyser. Jensen. Zetterberg. Whether that's good enough or not is an entirely different discussion. Mantha doesn't get to put in 75% effort, even if he's out producing everyone.

This whole Mantha benching thing has just brought out so many people and so many opinions that just don't seem to be based on reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad