Mantha for a top 4 D?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Nah, Mantha is our top proven goal scorer at this point.

We can have high hopes for Zadina, but we don't know for sure he will be ready and how good he will be right away.

Svech is still completely on the fence, he had a really rough season last year, he had a brief stint playing with Larkin and Mantha in the NHL where he looked good, but other than that he didn't show much last year to prove he's ready to contribute in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbdet

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It depends on who they get back. They get back a top pairing guy under 26, the answer is 'anyone not named Larkin or Zadina' for the package. If its a #3 that's north of 30? I'd rather keep Mantha and hope that Cholo peaks as a #3.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Only way I trade Mantha is if I am getting back Victor Hedman, OEL, or EK. Any of those would require a massive overpayment on our part and put us in cap hell. Pass.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Trouba is probably staying in Winnipeg in light of their recent prominence.

I also don't think we should trade Mantha; he offers a unique toolset on this team, just had a very good rookie campaign, and I think he's an important player on this team.

It's the kind of thing I leave on the table, but only if you get exactly the type of player you want in return. Any team rebuilding like the Wings should have that mindset.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hard to disagree with you there, Bench.

I think the best template is what Yzerman did with Drouin. Now I guess you could argue they should have took Jones to begin with, but hey, they still turned the pick into a blue chip young defender.

Like all of us I'm eager to see how the Wings fix the blueline (like we've been waiting since Lidstrom retired, ugh), but this team isn't competing next year or the year after. It's going to be a process and you really need to take the best players available at the moment, not trying to plug holes immediately or force trades.

I'm very critical of how the team has been run in recent history, but the current draft and subsequent glut of forward talent isn't even on my radar of critiques.

Reactions: Syckle78

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think the best template is what Yzerman did with Drouin. Now I guess you could argue they should have took Jones to begin with, but hey, they still turned the pick into a blue chip young defender.

Like all of us I'm eager to see how the Wings fix the blueline (like we've been waiting since Lidstrom retired, ugh), but this team isn't competing next year or the year after. It's going to be a process and you really need to take the best players available at the moment, not trying to plug holes immediately or force trades.

I'm very critical of how the team has been run in recent history, but the current draft and subsequent glut of forward talent isn't even on my radar of critiques.

No, this draft was the best thing Holland’s done in ten years. I forgot what it felt like to be excited about the team.

And kudos to him for the returns he got for Tatar, Sheahan, and Smith this season.

But certainly, if somehow a teams wants to move a Sergachev level asset for Mantha, I’d probably do it.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Bring me the name of a Top 3 defenseman, no older than 24, that you think would be available for trade from their current team. When you can bring a name to the table, then I think we can discuss it as a possibility. Without a realistic target in mind, this isn't worth the speculation. And this isn't to say that Mantha can fetch that by himself, but there's no sense in making lateral moves at different positions if they are one of the biggest building blocks moving forward.

I'm not shopping Mantha at all going into this next year. This feels like a massive year in his career, where we see a big step in production or if he holds steady.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bring me the name of a Top 3 defenseman, no older than 24, that you think would be available for trade from their current team. When you can bring a name to the table, then I think we can discuss it as a possibility. Without a realistic target in mind, this isn't worth the speculation. And this isn't to say that Mantha can fetch that by himself, but there's no sense in making lateral moves at different positions if they are one of the biggest building blocks moving forward.

I'm not shopping Mantha at all going into this next year. This feels like a massive year in his career, where we see a big step in production or if he holds steady.

I don't know but there has been these rumours lately:

- RD Trouba from Winnipeg
- RD Parayko from St. Louis
- RD Faulk from Carolina

Jets and Blues have luxury on RhD position.

I also think LD Shea Theodore could be the odd man out from Vegas, if they Erik Karlsson.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018

- RD Faulk from Carolina

I also think LD Shea Theodore could be the odd man out from Vegas, if they Erik Karlsson.
all those names i wouldn't move mantha for. He is our leading goal scorer, 23 years old, and really didn't even feel like he was hitting his stride with how he was playing within the team and how the team was around him. For me we could move some other chips like AA as a youngster, and hopefully nyq/daley could bring us picks that we could package with a guy like AA if we wanted to try and get another D prospect.

Idk I am more of the mind that we try and not really do anything crazy wise this upcoming year with our young talent, and see how they progress.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Nope keep him and use him with his shot on the PP and Rass as net front. He is just getting started.
From what i remember i didnt see him all that much as a feature on the PP, and yet he still managed 9 goals on the power play. If we can improve our power play and get him involved more as a shooter and not some dumb net front presence idea, could easily see him getting 15 plus goals on the PP and hitting that 30 goal mark on the season. Could also help his assist numbers on the PP as well.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

- RD Faulk from Carolina

I don't think there is much behind the Trouba "rumors"

Faulk is a little bit too old for what I would be willing to move Mantha for. I'd rather target someone I believe has a little bit more room on the development curve and a little more. I think we'd be sacrificing about 3 years moving from Mantha to Faulk. I'm trying to keep this as part of a core group.

Parayko is a little older as well, but has half the NHL miles than Faulk. I can see Parayko being in a big development year similar to Mantha. I would consider putting a package together, but having read over some of the Parayko trades on the Trade forum, I would never pony up what the Blues would be commanding.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
More than anyone else on our roster I feel Mantha has potential to just get better and better. Legit think he could have a ~40+40 peak, even if it’s short and like 5+ years from now. He’s got so much skill and seems to have a will to improve.

Any trade involving him would be dangerous.

Reactions: turkleton85

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
From what i remember i didnt see him all that much as a feature on the PP, and yet he still managed 9 goals on the power play. If we can improve our power play and get him involved more as a shooter and not some dumb net front presence idea, could easily see him getting 15 plus goals on the PP and hitting that 30 goal mark on the season. Could also help his assist numbers on the PP as well.
Our PP could he exciting. Zadina in the Ovi spot (but on the opposite side), Mantha in the bumper spot like Oshie, Mantha and Ras working the puck on the boards, and Hronek or Green as the defenseman up high.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No...

Do not trade Mantha......

Trade AA or Svechnikov alk rhey want but Anthony is and should be part of the solution.

Just continue to acquire picks and draft high for at least the next two drafts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad