Management Thread II - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
What stats are you looking at? His save percentage? You don't remember a time when Markstrom was letting in all those early goals? Markstrom was not an above average #1 goalie over the past three years. It's been more like his past 3/4 of the seasons.
Jacob Markstrom Stats and News

You’re arguing a point I didn’t make. I said, Markstrom’s stats are virtually identical over the past 4 season, but only two are with a 1000+ mins of starting time. But his gaa and save percentage are very dam close

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
In my opinion the best scenario would be for us to be out of a playoff position at the deadline while there's another good team in a spot but with shaky goaltending, a scenario which could net us a 1st rounder.
I feel this almost never happens, though... I don't know if it's just because almost all good teams already have solid goaltending, or there's a fear of dashing the confidence of your heretofore starter, or just the fact that no one is eliminated by the deadline anymore. But I can't think of many deadline goalie trades at all, going back to, like, Tom Barrasso to Carolina and the Cheveldae-Essensa swap. And that was when the deadline was later in the year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I feel this almost never happens, though... I don't know if it's just because almost all good teams already have solid goaltending, or there's a fear of dashing the confidence of your heretofore starter, or just the fact that no one is eliminated by the deadline anymore. But I can't think of many deadline goalie trades at all, going back to, like, Tom Barrasso to Carolina and the Cheveldae-Essensa swap. And that was when the deadline was later in the year.

I was thinking of Edmonton trading for Roloson, but yeah it's pretty rare. Possible this season with a team like Calgary or Columbus, or there's a chance for an injury.

That would be the ideal though. I still think the most likely is we sign him and then if Demko is the real deal we can sacrifice Markstorm in the expansion draft and not have to lose a forward or dman.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya. You pretty much need a Cup contender (or a team pushing for the playoffs) with highly suspect goaltending or have their #1 out with injury that requires some insurance. I think the last time it happened was Ben Bishop to the Kings?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Oh Lord, if Brackett is the one who ends up paying the price for that, we should be crying bloody murder. Every time you think it can't get worse, we get a little preview of coming attractions.

Someone here noted that he didn't seem thrilled immediately after the draft. Good eye. He certainly seems a lot smarter than the rest of his team... if he leaves that's another huge black mark on Aquilini for being an obstinate fool.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
the canucks haven't released a benning mic'd up video this year

:huh:

(for the record i think we had a pretty good draft this year regardless but this is a bit concerning)

Reactions: Hansen

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Can you blame em? I know I haven't been to happy with our drafting and was completely shocked that we took such a huge risk drafting Pod this year.

Somebody please remind me but didn't we just shuffle a couple of scouts around or they left about a week or so after the draft?

I wonder if this has something to do with it?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
the canucks haven't released a benning mic'd up video this year

:huh:

(for the record i think we had a pretty good draft this year regardless but this is a bit concerning)
Do they usually release one every year?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I recall some reports that the Canucks drafting appeared to take a step back this year in terms of the depth rounds. Though we've largely failed to generate anything after the first round in like 5 years, so I dunno how you measure success. At some point I think everyone will realize this period in the team history was fairly poor at the draft table outside of picks in the top ten (which were also rather hit or miss).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Somebody please remind me but didn't we just shuffle a couple of scouts around or they left about a week or so after the draft?

I wonder if this has something to do with it?

If I recall, two were outright released and one left for a promotion with another organization.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I know in interviews after the draft Brackett toed the company line and used this year's buzz words (big motor players etc.) But it felt odd not to see an US college player not picked until much later in the draft.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
If I recall, two were outright released and one left for a promotion with another organization.
Thanks rypper.
It's been a very busy/fun summer so far and I haven't been keeping up so I appreciate the response :thumbu:

And just to confirm...this happened just after the draft right?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I know in interviews after the draft Brackett toed the company line and used this year's buzz words (big motor players etc.) But it felt odd not to see an US college player not picked until much later in the draft.
I saw that interview and fully agree that it felt a bit odd...really surprised they never took Boldy tbh.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I recall some reports that the Canucks drafting appeared to take a step back this year in terms of the depth rounds. Though we've largely failed to generate anything after the first round in like 5 years, so I dunno how you measure success. At some point I think everyone will realize this period in the team history was fairly poor at the draft table outside of picks in the top ten (which were also rather hit or miss).

Exactly. Since 2016, our 5th round picks and later have not been good. I hope Jett Woo turns into a player but right now, Lind and Gadjovich aren't looking like good picks. I still like Madden, Dipietro, Rathbone, and Lockwood.

I don't think the Canucks' draft this year was all that exciting, but the Canucks' top 3 picks this past draft were solid picks relative to where they were drafted. The others I think are all draftable. If there is one big knock, none of the later round picks have high end skill. Focht reminds me a bit of the Brett McKenzie pick. I think there is some development project for guys like Malone and McDonough. Plasek is probably my least favourite pick in this year's draft, but his skill level might be the highest of the forwards drafted in the later rounds.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Exactly. Since 2016, our 5th round picks and later have not been good. I hope Jett Woo turns into a player but right now, Lind and Gadjovich aren't looking like good picks. I still like Madden, Dipietro, Rathbone, and Lockwood.

I don't think the Canucks' draft this year was all that exciting, but the Canucks' top 3 picks this past draft were solid picks relative to where they were drafted. The others I think are all draftable. If there is one big knock, none of the later round picks have high end skill. Focht reminds me a bit of the Brett McKenzie pick. I think there is some development project for guys like Malone and McDonough. Plasek is probably my least favourite pick in this year's draft, but his skill level might be the highest of the forwards drafted in the later rounds.

I dunno. Maybe we were spoiled by the Bieksas, Edlers, Burrows, Hansens, Tanevs, etc. For a long time we seemed to be generating pretty good depth players (and legitimately great players that were surprises) out of the system. That hasn't been the case for a while. I guess Stecher is the exception.

It's discouraging that we aren't seeing much in terms of solid development out of the system. Outside of the guys you mentioned it's pretty bleak.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh yeah, some scouts were just fired weren't they. Yeah, Benning and Weisbrod have purged everyone else who can do their job worth shit. Only a matter of time before they came for the last competent CSE employee.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I dunno. Maybe we were spoiled by the Bieksas, Edlers, Burrows, Hansens, Tanevs, etc. For a long time we seemed to be generating pretty good depth players (and legitimately great players that were surprises) out of the system. That hasn't been the case for a while. I guess Stecher is the exception.

It's discouraging that we aren't seeing much in terms of solid development out of the system. Outside of the guys you mentioned it's pretty bleak.

I think your memory is just long so it seems like yesterday (I do the same thing). Burrows and Tanev weren't drafted. Edler, Hansen and Burrows were acquired under Nonis. Bieksa was a Burke draft pick who made the NHL in his draft + 5 season. Right now, outside of Stetcher and then Gaudette, McEwen, and one UFA Dman who might end up being that, there aren't really the type of depth players or legitimately great players that were surprises ready to compete for a spot on the Canucks. It would have been nice to see Lockwood turn pro. I think there are some potentials but I'm not going to get my hopes up until I see them contributing for the Canucks.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

This was bound to happen. I expected Brackett to push back at some point. Benning is not going to let the scouting department run autonomously. It's just not in his make up. With 3 scouts leaving/being fired, and now with this Brackett rumour, it's becoming clear that there's enough critique of Benning within the scouting department that an opposition is forming.

Brackett is only the figurehead to it, IMO. He wouldn't be acting alone and without insight from the others.

This seems to confirm all the draft stuff

Looks like you were right about that interview.

Reactions: Consistencee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad