Management Thread: Don't Forget. You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
This has to be the last season if we miss the playoffs right? Like surely no owner can be so inconceivably stupid to think this team is headed in the right direction if we miss the playoffs this year ? 50 % of teams make the playoffs and we are in the weakest division.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
This has to be the last season if we miss the playoffs right? Like surely no owner can be so inconceivably stupid to think this team is headed in the right direction if we miss the playoffs this year ? 50 % of teams make the playoffs and we are in the weakest division.
I won’t hold my breath

Reactions: vanuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The d group I'm not sure is better, but it's not worse either. Rathbone is a positive addition to the 3rd pairing imo. And Quinn Hughes is still only 21, and players his age and with his talent tend to take large leaps forward in their game at this stage of their career. And OEL of course, so their is potential for the d group to play mauch better than expected.

But there is no denying that our offence has improved by a lot. We are much deeper than before, and like Quinn, Pettersson is likely to take another step forward.

I think there is enough talent now that we can genuinely say, when we make the play-offs, anything can happen.

Nothing they have done is going to impact the team more than Pettersson returning. They could have brought back exactly the same team and they would be better: He would be playing.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
The absolute funny thing is, after an off-season like this, if Canucks have success then Benning will win the GM of the year award.

Other GMs likely stoopified how Benning went from a cap strapped team into cap flexibility within 10 days while significantly improving, and dumping Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel in one shot.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I feel like not enough people are talking about how important it is to lock up Pettersson and Hughes long-term, opposed to giving them bridge deals.

They are both coming off what will likely be their worst season for the next 7-8 years.

Their value is about as low as it will ever be.

This is the perfect time to sign them to long-term deals that they will almost certainly outperform during their prime.

Give them a bridge deal and their long-term contracts will end up being much more expensive.

Benning’s management of the cap almost certainly ensures that bridge deals are the only viable option though.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
The absolute funny thing is, after an off-season like this, if Canucks have success then Benning will win the GM of the year award.

Other GMs likely stoopified how Benning went from a cap strapped team into cap flexibility within 10 days while significantly improving, and dumping Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel in one shot.
It only took a early 1st and 2nd to fix his self inflicted wounds.
GM of the year everyone.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

Eriksson and Roussel are expiring.
Furthermore, he signed all 3 of those contracts.

we don’t have flexibility. We’ll be cap strapped again next year.

There’s no GM of the year award to be won here unless OEL is a top-10 norris candidate next year. I won’t hold my breath.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I feel like not enough people are talking about how important it is to lock up Pettersson and Hughes long-term, opposed to giving them bridge deals.

They are both coming off what will likely be their worst season for the next 7-8 years.

This is the perfect time to sign them to long-term deals that they will almost certainly outperform during their prime.

Give them a bridge deal and their long-term contracts will end up being much more expensive.

Benning’s management of the cap almost certainly ensures that bridge deals are the only viable option though.

agreed — but do we have the cap for that?

petey will cost 9.5+ long term. hughes 7-8.

I don’t think it works. Bridge Hughes and 8 years for Petey is the best option, I think.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Hoping for the best with OEL and Poolman but having a hard time forgetting Sbisa, Bartkowski, Pedan, Clendenning, Pouliot, Larsen, Gubranson, Del Zotto, Myers and Benn.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Add to that Edler basically choosing to leave rather than sticking around for another season says something about the mood in the room.

The obvious flipside to that is Sutter and Hamonic both reupping.

But I do find the fact that a 15 year team veteran full on got the hell out of dodge/was jettisoned like garbage by management/both to be disrespectful.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

They obviously won't sign longterm deals that are based on their worst season - there's no incentive for them to do so. If that's what's on the table, they'll sign a bridge or offer sheet.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Our cap situation is worse next year. Flat cap and will need to re-sign Brock and Ratbone and find a backup that will work for peanuts and some depth piece. Bascially any improvement in the team will come internally and we have like no prospects lol.
Luongo’a recapture will be gobbled up by the buyouts and Halak’s bonus. If OEL doesn’t deliver, this team is going to be stuck for awhile.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They obviously won't sign longterm deals that are based on their worst season - there's no incentive for them to do so. If that's what's on the table, they'll sign a bridge or offer sheet.

Well, they could sign long-term if the dollar figure is close enough to what they would have gotten regardless of injury. As in, an AAV commensurate to each's continued performance. Pity that this is not on the table...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad