Management Thread: Cold Chicken Noodle Soup and 1/2 a Pizza Pop Edition. (MOD WARNING POST 728)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Virtanen has CLEARLY been a success story he was pacing for almost ELEVEN points this season. Like to see you get that many :shakehead

It's taking possible legal charges for some people here (like 1 or 2) to realize that maybe this kids a bonehead who can't play hockey and maybe we whiffed on the pick.

Any average fan with basic hockey knowledge knew this was a fail basically since year 1.

Last edited:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Anyone remember when the 2014 draft was a smashing success? All the great players Jimbo went and sussed out...

I don't understand why Benning continues to get credit for 2014. He was hired a month before the draft, every key guy like Crawford and scouts were put there by Gillis.

GMs are only really responsible for the 1st round pick. They let the scouts do the rest. We all know how all that worked out.

Reactions: vanuck and rypper

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
How can Highmore be the return of the asset that was once Adam Gaudette? Gaudette 4 points in first 3 games with Chicago.

Will Highmore ever get a point? An UDFA level of player.

The asset bleeding just continues.

Reactions: PM

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
How can Highmore be the return of the asset that was once Adam Gaudette? Gaudette 4 points in first 3 games with Chicago.

Will Highmore ever get a point? An UDFA level of player.

The asset bleeding just continues.
If I was a gambling person id say lets bet on whose the next prospect that will literally be traded for garbage. Rathbone? Kunz? McDonaugh? Woo?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Drance said on 650 today that Tryamkin's agent was told by Benning that there was interest in him at the trade deadline.
More asset bleed. This is a big reason why it's hard to explain to casuals or other fanbases why Benning is so bad.

The asset bleed is enormous but you have to point at vacuums. Try explaining to a casual why Benning's handling of Tryamkin over the last 7 years has been a case study in horrific asset management, their eyes glaze over already on the one line summary.

But when you look at how many assets the org has bled during his tenure for free...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
More asset bleed. This is a big reason why it's hard to explain to casuals or other fanbases why Benning is so bad.

The asset bleed is enormous but you have to point at vacuums. Try explaining to a casual why Benning's handling of Tryamkin over the last 7 years has been a case study in horrific asset management, their eyes glaze over already on the one line summary.

But when you look at how many assets the org has bled during his tenure for free...
Drafting gurus can always draft more!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Drance said on 650 today that Tryamkin's agent was told by Benning that there was interest in him at the trade deadline.
Tryamkins agent gave the distinct impression to Benning (and the media) that his client wanted to play for the Canucks..So why would Benning have traded his rights at the TDL..?

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Tryamkins agent gave the distinct impression to Benning (and the media) that his client wanted to play for the Canucks..So why would Benning have traded his rights at the TDL..?

Yes because the one and only franchise Nikita had interest in was the Vancouver Canucks, seeing as how he love the city so much, why wouldn't he single Vancouver out as the only team he'd play for...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Because Benning didn't have the cap flexibility to make an offer right away. And Tryamkin didn't want to be strung along like last offseason.
We were prepared to pay Nikita what he was asking for, but my understanding is that his decision in the end was based on wanting to stay in Russia, rather than play in the NHL,” Benning said Sunday.

So they did have the cap flexibility....It doesnt answer the question..Why would Benning trade his rights when they are negotiating a return.?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
We were prepared to pay Nikita what he was asking for, but my understanding is that his decision in the end was based on wanting to stay in Russia, rather than play in the NHL,” Benning said Sunday.

So they did have the cap flexibility....It doesnt answer the question..Why would Benning trade his rights when they are negotiating a return.?
Because it’s better to acquire assets then let them drift away Surely even you can see that.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

They were prepared according to Benning. But in the end no offer came from the Canucks. Just like last offseason.

Why would Tryamkin trust that an offer is coming and risk losing a good KHL contract after last offseason?

If the Canucks were serious about signing Tryamkin then an offer should have been made as soon as it was possible. If the Canucks weren't going to make an attractive offer ASAP, then his rights should have been traded.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I don't think this is an issue you can dismiss based on a quote. Benning should have identified the situation and known Tryamkin would prefer to stay in Russia BEFORE the trade deadline, and acted accordingly. He didn't. He squandered another asset based on incompetence, which has been the story for his entire tenure as GM here. Just a terrible GM, worst in franchise history.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Other link says negotiations hadn't started.

I would think most GM's would make it a priority to have advanced negotiations by the trade deadline for this purpose.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Jim Benning's legacy on Tryamkin is amazing.

Didn't even know what league he played in pre-draft.

Let Eric Crawford and his scouts make the pick.

Signed him to an illegal contract when he was brought over and was publicly spanked by the league.

Alienated the player off-ice by providing no community support and resources.

Alienated the player on-ice by trying to turn him into Chris Pronger.

Had the player bolt back to Russia.

Had 4 years to sort something out to bring the player back and failed.

Failed to get an asset back for the player either and has now lost him for nothing.

Strong work, Jim.
+Put a no AHL clause in his contract and then tried to send him to the AHL.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
They were prepared according to Benning. But in the end no offer came from the Canucks. Just like last offseason.

Why would Tryamkin trust that an offer is coming and risk losing a good KHL contract after last offseason?

If the Canucks were serious about signing Tryamkin then an offer should have been made as soon as it was possible. If the Canucks weren't going to make an attractive offer ASAP, then his rights should have been traded.
The intent by the team and the player (and the agent) was to get a deal done...The players intentions, as it turns out, were to play in Russia...If he truly wanted to play in the NHL , he would have taken the Canucks offer (maybe a one year deal), and cashed in on his second contract.

If Tryamkin truly wanted to be an NHL player, and didnt think it would get done with the Canucks.. he would have requested Benning trade his rights..he did not request his rights be traded.

The biggest loser in this, is Tryamkin himself..imo..His development years are done, and I dont see him re entering the league as an almost 30 year old KHL D man.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I think given that this was the last negotiating period before he was an UFA, he should have been treated the same as a pending college UFA. Prior to the deadline they needed to negotiate and figure out if they were likely to get a deal done. If not and there is interest in the league, you trade him.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There is a clip on Dhaliwal's twitter. He seems to be suggesting that the Canucks did offer Tryamkin a contract for more than $1M a year. If that is true, I think all that talk about Tryamkin wanting to play in the NHL is really just from his perspective. He'll go play in the NHL if the money is at least equivalent.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think given that this was the last negotiating period before he was an UFA, he should have been treated the same as a pending college UFA. Prior to the deadline they needed to negotiate and figure out if they were likely to get a deal done. If not and there is interest in the league, you trade him.

That's not exactly the same though. A pending college UFA would be a UFA in a matter of months. No potential NHL time or NHL earning potential would be missed by that college UFA waiting to become a UFA. Tryamkin still had a full year left which for a player who wants to play in the NHL would be giving up potential NHL time and earning potential by foregoing the opportunity to sign with the Canucks.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Seems rather easy eh.....

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That's not exactly the same though. A pending college UFA would be a UFA in a matter of months. No potential NHL time or NHL earning potential would be missed by that college UFA waiting to become a UFA. Tryamkin still had a full year left which for a player who wants to play in the NHL would be giving up potential NHL time and earning potential by foregoing the opportunity to sign with the Canucks.

You are really only arguing semantics here, the situations are very similar and can/should be handled as such.

Do you think the Canucks handled Tryamkin well as an asset?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You are really only arguing semantics here, the situations are very similar and can/should be handled as such.

Do you think the Canucks handled Tryamkin well as an asset?

It's not semantics. It's an entirely different situation and timeline where one becomes a UFA in a matter of months while the other has a full year left. If I was advising a college UFA I'm telling him that he might as well wait to become a UFA and control his destiny. If I was advising Tryamkin, I'm telling him to sign a 1 year deal and become a UFA next year if he wants to play in the NHL and maximize his earnings. From an NHL team's perspective, if you can't sign a NCAA player who finished his senior year in March, he's not signing with the team. Tryamkin's season ended after the NHL trade deadline.

How often do you see Russian players in comparable situations sign a KHL contract in April/May? Usually players who tell their teams they are going to the NHL go to the NHL unless there are no offers. Nesterov signed in October. Gusev was traded in the offseason. Datsyuk decided to go back to the KHL in July.

How far apart do you think the Canucks were with Tryamkin? Reportedly, Tryamkin wanted to come back they were discussing 1-2 year terms and the Canucks had offered more than $1M. So if I was Benning and I offered him more than $1M, I would think there is a pretty good chance of him signing and it was only a matter of time that the deal got done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad