Management Thread: Assessing the Damage

Which year has been the most damaging by GM Benning against the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Last thread at 1000 posts so less continue here. Which year was the most damaging in your opinion. Please let me know also what should be added to each years damage of our team. Heres last thread

Management Thread: RATE the 7 Years

-Traded Kesler for a Late 1st round pick, Sbisa, Bonino
-Drafted Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander
-Traded high 2nd round pick for Linden Vey

-Traded Bonino and 2nd round pick for Sutter, 3rd round pick
-Signed Sutter to 5 year deal
-Traded 2nd round pick for Baertchi

-Eriksson $36 million
-Traded Mccann and high 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson and 5th
-Drafted Juolevi over Tkachuk
-Forsling traded for Adam Clendenning

-Gagner signing
-Gudbranson extension
-Del Zotto signing

-Roussell $3 million x 4 years
-Beagle $ 3million x 4 years
-Schaller $1.9 million x 2 years
-Gudbranson multi year extension

-Ferland $3.5 million x 4 years
-Myers $6 million x 5 years

-Madden and 2nd for 10 games of Toffoli
-Letting Toffoli walk away
-Re sign Virtanen $2.5 million x 2 years
-Holtby signing $4.3 million x 2 years
-0 picks in top 80
-Letting Bracket leave

-Pearson signing PRIOR to expansion draft $3 million x 3 years

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
2016 has everything wrong with this team five years later...

Lack of cap space? Loui E
No third line centre? McCann
Two extra draft picks? gone
Trainwreck of a D corps? Chychrun, MacAvoy or Sergachev
Defensive depth? Forsling seems serviceable

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Honestly the last 2 years dont even look that bad. 2018 looks the worse IMO

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know a lot of posters will cast a ballot for 2020 as the greatest 'Benning boondoggle' year....but I think one of the reasons for this is that the memories are more recent and therefore more painful.

But for sheer perversity, it has to be 2016 by a longshot. It starts with with the Eriksson signing, which still hangs over the franchise like a burning tire. The Gudbranson trade cost them valuable picks and a kid like McCann who's morphed into a solid third-line center, which the Canucks are still looking for to this very day.

Of course the 'piece de resistance' was drafting Juolevi instead of Tkachuk, McAvoy, Chychrun, or Sergachev. Forsling morphing into a 20 minute a night d-man for the same Panthers team in this year's playoffs is just icing on the cake.

For the hardcore Canuck faithful, 2016 was like simultaneous karate kicks to right and left testicles.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I know a lot of posters will cast a ballot for 2020 as the greatest 'Benning boondoggle' year....but I think one of the reasons for this is that the memories are more recent and therefore more painful.

But for sheer perversity, it has to be 2016 by a longshot. It starts with with the Eriksson signing, which still hangs over the franchise like a burning tire. The Gudbranson trade cost them valuable picks and a kid like McCann who's morphed into a solid third-line center, which the Canucks are still looking for to this very day.

Of course the 'piece de resistance' was drafting Juolevi instead of Tkachuk, McAvoy, Chychrun, or Sergachev. Forsling morphing into a 20 minute a night d-man for the same Panthers team in this year's playoffs is just icing on the cake.

For the hardcore Canuck faithful, 2016 was like simultaneous karate kicks to right and left testicles.
You could also argue that 2016 is why 2020 was so painful. Its like how this year 2021 will be in contention with 2016 as the most painful.

Reactions: geebaan and MS

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Assessing the damage Benning has done to our club...

Looks like this.

tenor.gif

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
When it came to Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander I figured maybe they know something big that I didn't.

The first real Bim "WTF" moment was the Sutter acquisition and signing.

From then it snowballed...

Eriksson, Gud, Juolevi and on and on.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
From the last topic:

$6 million Eriksson (may be bought out)
$6 million Myers (still a productive player)

$4.3 mill Holtby (could get bought out or claimed at the ED)
$3.5 million Ferland (LTIR..?)
$3 million Roussell (buy out candidate)
$3 million Beagle (one more year..may not be able to play next year)
$2.5 million Virtanen..??

So you hope that almost all of the Bennings remaining UFA signings somehow retire or get bought out so he can sign some more free agents? That alone should tell anyone that he is completely unable to correctly assess players and cant work with a budget. Whenever he has money available he spends it like a drunken sailor. Just after listing this you should scream for Benning to be fired, its truly incredible that you keep defending his overall body of work.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
From the last topic:

So you hope that almost all of the Bennings remaining UFA signings somehow retire or get bought out so he can sign some more free agents? That alone should tell anyone that he is completely unable to correctly assess players and cant work with a budget. Whenever he has money available he spends it like a drunken sailor. Just after listing this you should scream for Benning to be fired, its truly incredible that you keep defending his overall body of work.

See I asked this question numerous times but no one seems to be answering: what data and fact exist to back up the claim that Benning is an "average" GM.

Because when I look at the facts and data he's a very bad GM.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
So something i have been thinking about, but could it be more advantageous to wait a bit in free agency to see which players aren't being taken? Of course then using a Competent Player analytics department to find out why they aren't and if they would be worth while to go after? Idea being maybe you could maybe sign them at a reduced rate?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'd say between 2015 was when he set the standard for what we'd be in for or when Linden was fired (2019?) after presenting an alternate direction for the team but Francisco stuck with team Benning/Weisbrod.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Voted for 2015, but meant 2016. I think a lot of long lasting damage was done in that off season.

The 2021 offseason was brutal, too, in that a lot of the goodwill that was built in the playoff bubble was absolutely squandered. Letting Toffoli walk for peanuts, and underestimating the locker room impact of letting all these respected veterans walk with no offers, etc...just bad.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Voted for 2015, but meant 2016. I think a lot of long lasting damage was done in that off season.

The 2021 offseason was brutal, too, in that a lot of the goodwill that was built in the playoff bubble was absolutely squandered. Letting Toffoli walk for peanuts, and underestimating the locker room impact of letting all these respected veterans walk with no offers, etc...just bad.
Do you mean 2020? 2021 is this off season.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
This season when he let Tanev, markstrom and Toffoli go for nothing, seriously, what the actual ****. This gets my blood boils again. WHAT THE ****

And put the icing to the turd, two of them left for our rival, i just can't believe this kind of incompetency, you mean he did not foresee that happening when he signed Myers? Even without covid and the cap increase by a few millions we might still loose two out of three and then proceed to replace them with nothing.

He should be fired long ago.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Average GM my ass.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
See I asked this question numerous times but no one seems to be answering: what data and fact exist to back up the claim that Benning is an "average" GM.

Because when I look at the facts and data he's a very bad GM.

Well I think it self-evident, his teams have made the playoffs 5 of the 7 years he has been GM. He won executive of the year in 2011. He has assembled the leagues best group of managers and coaches that are the envy of all. Finally, he has set a high bar for performance that historically no other GM has achieved.

Wait, wrong thread.

My bad.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Well I think it self-evident, his teams have made the playoffs 5 of the 7 years he has been GM. He won executive of the year in 2018. He has assembled the leagues best group of managers and coaches that are the envy of all.

Wait, wrong thread.

My bad.

My keyboard and monitor are now covered by bubble tea, thanks~.
:laugh:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
2014…the path along this misguided monstrosity was set. As soon as he rolled over and showed his belly to Kesler I knew it was going to be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad