Management Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Politely tell haters they can cheer for the Nordiques.
Man... I'd really like them if they'd do so.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The narrative would simply shift - Price and Gallagher were just too good, and MB wasn't responsible for either one. The team won the Cup in spite of the management, not because of it. They might have won the Cup, but they would have won the Cup more convincingly with PK and Guy Boucher and if Bryan Flynn wasn't on the team and if they had traded for a better goalie in Dec 2015 and if DD had been bought out and if Bouillon hadn't been signed in 2013 and if Paul Byron didn't get a 3 year deal and if Lefebvre had been fired years ago.

This guy get's it! :handclap:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Whaaat? Poor decisions lead to success? I think there's something wrong here...

Here, I'll do the thinking for you:

Poor decision: putting your life savings on 32 red.

Success: 32 red hits.

Your conclusion from this would be what? That the decision to put your life savings on 32 red is a good one?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Here, I'll do the thinking for you:

Poor decision: putting your life savings on 32 red.

Success: 32 red hits.

Your conclusion from this would be what? That the decision to put your life savings on 32 red is a good one?

It's not a one time bet we're talking here, you do understand?

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
What's the point of this thread?

Either people say their perception would change, and you then point out that maybe management here isn't as bad as people say it is; or people say their perception wouldn't, and you then point out that people are over-exaggerating with their hatred of the current management.

Of course the ends justify the means when you're talking sports - a Cup has a great ability to wash away years of bad decisions, and as you point out yourself, any team with Price has at least a chance of winning a Cup. That doesn't mean that all of a sudden management has become a model of how to run a team. The fact you're relying on a superstar/generational talent to pull the team across the finish line should underline that point.

Anyway, the reality is that if they win a Cup, they'll get at least a few more years to run the team. I'd rather emulate an organisation like Chicago or Los Angeles that sets itself up to be a top contender year after year instead of the uneven display we've seen of late, but I guess since we have Price that's good enough for everyone to calm down and enjoy the ride.

You know what's the difference between a great management team and this one? Look at the Patriots and how they always set themselves up to win, year after year after year. Brady gets injured? Matt freaking Cassel wins 11 games. Brady gets suspended? Backup QB and third-string QB win. Price gets injured? The *worst* season-ending slump in franchise history. That's the damned difference.

Either way, you portray current management as victims and the fanbase you don't agree with as irrational.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Of course the ends justify the means when you're talking sports

This is it, in a nutshell. If you win a championship, you've succeeded. It's not 'til death do us part. You're not judged on how-long; you're judged on how-high.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
The point was to show how bi polar is this board .

That's your opinion. I'd argue some people are too comfortable with mediocrity.

It's fine to be patient and wait for results, and it's fine to be critical when you start seeing a trend of worrysome behaviour from management.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's an example, silly billy.

But again, how would a series of events change anything relating to homeboy's argument? Difference without distinction.

The example is bad, because there're a lot of other things that can change the end result.

It's not black or white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad