Maloney joins the Flames

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don was interviewed on Sportsnet Calgary Radio.

The host said, "Hiring Don Maloney to scout hockey players is like hiring Orville Redenbacher to sell popcorn at the arena!"

Fun little interview. Always like how he describes his GM tenure with the Islanders. Previously, I heard him describe himself as, "Less popular on Long Island than Joey Buttafuoco". This time, he says he was fired from the Islanders and "told never to return to Long Island" :laugh:

rt said that Maloney has great "beer-ability". I think that's the perfect word to describe Don Maloney's interviews.

I really want to see this man win the Cup.

Edit: Here's a link to the interview - http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/new-flames-pro-scout-don-maloney-steinberg-wills-aug-17th/

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
More from Chris Nichols.....

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/learning-process-continues-don-maloney/

"I just think you can’t buy experience. You have to live through it. You hope you make better decisions the second time around. I know if I ever get another chance, I’ll hopefully learn from my past errors.

“It’s a cliché, but the bottom line is there are no shortcuts in this game. You can’t cheat the system. You have to put in the work. You have to grind it out. You have to get the games. Watch games. Study games. Analyze games. Open your minds to analytics and what they can bring to the table. Hopefully you have a good staff around you that have that common goal."

“It’s been well-chronicled, we had our share of trials and tribulations,” chucked Maloney. “It’s amazing to think back. When I came in, Wayne Gretzky was the coach and managing partner, and probably the main reason why I was hired here in the first place. So Wayne was here for two years. Then we hit the bankruptcy and all the fallout for three or four or five years. They all start to run together with me. And then this new ownership group.

“I felt for the most part we were all about survival here. It wasn’t a long-term plan. It was all trying to get through the day. We were obviously a lower-spending club. You never try and equate spending with winning, but at some point you have to spend to a certain level to have success. That’s the reality. There’s outliers, of course. There’s a team that might be a lower-spending team that might win a round or two, but to have sustained success, you have to be able to spend like the big boys."

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

There he is blaming the budget again. The ownership group already said that was nonsense and that he had plenty of money to spend, he just refused to. That's why they assured us they'd spend much more this season. And just look...oh...wait...yeah, we're spending less relative to the cap than at any point during bankruptcy. Can we get the league to own us again? Those were the days. Milk and honey back then. None of this Spartan austerity that we have now.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There he is blaming the budget again. The ownership group already said that was nonsense and that he had plenty of money to spend, he just refused to. That's why they assured us they'd spend much more this season. And just look...oh...wait...yeah, we're spending less relative to the cap than at any point during bankruptcy. Can we get the league to own us again? Those were the days. Milk and honey back then. None of this Spartan austerity that we have now.

Can we call BS on finances yet? Rhetorical.

This was a power struggle between DM and DT. DT pissed off about being embarrassed by management tanking and him getting in the ear of an owner. Chayka is DT's guy who will make roster moves he's told.

Thats how I see it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If there was money to spend, we'd have spent it. You think GMDT wants this roster? You don't think "Not a development league" "win every game" Dave would bring in veteran help to prop up this sad roster if he could afford it? He threw a public tantrum and almost quit when the overdue rebuild happened.
He's stuck with this roster because we can't afford replacements. We even had to buy out one of the country club players to help afford bringing another "good guy" back at a position of need. Not encouraging.

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
I wonder with him being in Calgary if we could see the Flames as a natural trading partner.

Are there any players that Maloney seemed to like more that he would want on the Flames?

I know that hes not calling the shots but still.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One would have thought the same with Treliving being over there and it didn't really work out that way. Of course it was only one season and change.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This is not what ownership meant when they told Maloney get Dougie Hamilton on his team :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad