Malkin's shot

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
In another thread there was some discussion. Where is Malkin's shot, particularly his one-timer? In his first few years, Geno used to have one of the best slap-shots in the NHL. It was fast and accurate. He was a huge part of the power play because of this. After 2008-2009, his shot seems inaccurate and he doesn't look like he wants to hit it a lot. His wrist shot just lacks the power it had. I know he's had some shoulder injuries, however what do people make of this idea? Am I seeing things, or is it just confidence?

Acquizitor*

In another thread there was some discussion. Where is Malkin's shot, particularly his one-timer? In his first few years, Geno used to have one of the best slap-shots in the NHL. It was fast and accurate. He was a huge part of the power play because of this. After 2008-2009, his shot seems inaccurate and he doesn't look like he wants to hit it a lot. His wrist shot just lacks the power it had. I know he's had some shoulder injuries, however what do people make of this idea? Am I seeing things, or is it just confidence?

I think Malkin is "done" as a super star, especially now that he is guaranteed all those millions of dollars.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And I think that's totally ridiculous.

Predicated on what? His greedy, self-aggrandizing, entitled history that doesn't actually exist at all?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Lack of Gonchar dishing him sweet saucer passes. Letang's handcuffing setups killed Geno's one-timer

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
This is something that's baffled me a bit too. He was absolutely lethal with those one timers earlier in his career - almost Kovalchuk like, and now we almost never see him even attempt them. Not sure if that can be tied to the powerplay strategy being employed or whether it's a byproduct of so many shoulder injuries, but it's sad to see.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Good point. Malkin´s shot is almost non-existing now. It´s my biggest concern I have with Geno (probably the only real concern I have with him).

Series against Boston was a perfect example, he had soo many chances. Everytime he tries that shot, it´s just wide or blocked on the PP or off the iron or a great save.. We are talking about a guy who´ve scored 50 in this league. Right now, I would be very happy with 30. He needs Neal back to be very effective as a playmaker, then it will be much easier for the fans to swallow this fact.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I thought he's trying a lot more this season to get a good one timer off on the PP. It didn't really work so far, but I'm not giving up hope.

Yes, he´s definitely trying. But I don´t know if it makes it better in general, because it looks like he isn´t that close to break this problem. If he wasn´t trying, then we would say just "shoot more Geno".. Right now, I don´t even know if I want him shooting. He´s still extremely good in almost everything else, thankfully.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The guy did score 50 in '11-'12, and he got a fair share of those on wicked one-timers.

Malkin's shoulder was injured last season and his shot suffered. Hopefully it gets back to where it was this season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's sustained multiple shoulder injuries, now, though... hasn't he?

It has probably taken it's toll.

Though obviously the Penguins know more than anyone not named Evgeni Malkin about his health. And they just signed him to a monster contract. So...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
His shoulder injury has handicapped it. Like a pitcher holding off on the fastball...Malkin is holding off on the big one timers for fear of aggravating old injuries.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This IS a worry. I have one positive, sort of, spin on it though.... But it might be 'too easy'. While getting chances for the one timer is of course very much down to moving into position for them, can anyone even recall a recent PP where Malkin received a good feed for it and didn't try? It seems very much like teams are focused on taking that away, staying high on him, when he is in THAT spot and otherwise he is moving around as the units playmaker. Anyway, I really miss that bomb also!

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It was there as recently as 2012. He did score 50 goals that year afterall. But yeah, last year and so far this year it's been non existant.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good point. Malkin´s shot is almost non-existing now. It´s my biggest concern I have with Geno (probably the only real concern I have with him).

Series against Boston was a perfect example, he had soo many chances. Everytime he tries that shot, it´s just wide or blocked on the PP or off the iron or a great save.. We are talking about a guy who´ve scored 50 in this league. Right now, I would be very happy with 30. He needs Neal back to be very effective as a playmaker, then it will be much easier for the fans to swallow this fact.

He scored 50 goals during the last full NHL season. What are you worried about?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I know Letang can't feed them into Malkin's wheelhouse, but you think the shoulder injuries have something to do with it though?

Most likely. A shoulder injury is something that can really reduce his strength and even make it painful to take a shot. It is the smoking gun here IMO. I'd rather any player take a 1-timer wrist shot anyway.

Letang can only pass it into your legs whether you are on his team or not.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He scored 50 goals during the last full NHL season. What are you worried about?
Yes.. and he scored 14 goals in 51 NHL games since then. It´s not that small sample size, considering that he has a lot of scoring chances, but for some reason, puck is not going in. He´s missing a lot and his shot/one-timer is no longer lethal. His overall game is as good as always, but his shot IS a legit concern for me. I´m not bashing him, no other problem with Geno at all, but yeah, I´m worried about his shot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes.. and he scored 14 goals in 51 NHL games since then. It´s not that small sample size, considering that he has a lot of scoring chances, but for some reason, puck is not going in. He´s missing a lot and his shot/one-timer is no longer lethal. His overall game is as good as always, but his shot IS a legit concern for me. I´m not bashing him, no other problem with Geno at all, but yeah, I´m worried about his shot.

Fair enough. I'm not that worried about it. He injured the shoulder just last year so last year's stats in a weird shortened season don't mean a lot to me. It's been a whole 5 games so far this year. I will give it some time before I make any judgments.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

He also scored 15 goals in 43 games the season before he scored 50.

Malkin has his off-years, usually exacerbated by injury. I wouldn't read much into his production in a lockout-shortened year, especially since he was scoring goals at a very good clip in the KHL prior to coming over last season.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
He also scored 15 goals in 43 games the season before he scored 50.

Malkin has his off-years, usually exacerbated by injury. I wouldn't read much into his production in a lockout-shortened year, especially since he was scoring goals at a very good clip in the KHL prior to coming over last season.

He was out for several games last (shortened) season and had a revolving door on his left wing, so yeah, I'm with you ... not really worried about it at this point. The goals will come.

Malkin112*

I agree. His skating, hockey iq etc. looks great. When Malkin is playing his best hockey goals to assists ratio is somewhere 40/60 now it's about 20/80

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Most likely. A shoulder injury is something that can really reduce his strength and even make it painful to take a shot. It is the smoking gun here IMO. I'd rather any player take a 1-timer wrist shot anyway.

There's no way his shoulder isn't healed by now, therefore there should be no pain or discomfort. I'd also say that there are WAY too many examples of players that had much more serious shoulder injuries and returned to form without issue. It's a pretty common hockey injury.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If he has an "off" year this year, my guess is the Penguins will coax him into shoulder surgery in the offseason. It seems to have been nagging him on and off for some time.

Though I will say part of the reason you're not seeing him take slapshots on the PP is because there's no open lane. The current powerplay configuration has 4-5 lefties, only one of which, Malkin, is in good position to shoot at any given time. Not hard for the PK to figure out whose lane they need to be in.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think he can coast through the regular season. As long as he turns it up in the postseason when Sid runs into tougher matchups, I'm cool with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad