Malkin's performance in game 3 against Washington in PO 2009

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
I might do some video editing or flirt with seeing if i can cut some clips. I see all 5 guys as low as the dot in the d-zone supporting defense first. I also see wingers coming down as far as the goal line to give our defense an outlet for a breakout pass. :amazed:

Also.. I can't believe I'm saying this.. Miro Satan is more tenacious than 75% of the team right now. He's playing hungrier than most of our team is right now.

Bolded for truth. Kids from WBS like Gibbons until he got hurt or character guys like Billy G. back in 09. Someone has to play that role. Not sure who plays that role now. Do we even have an agitator let alone a character guy?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So I watched some shifts back... on one shift, ALL FIVE PLAYERS were down below the top of the circle for defensive support. All with heads on a swivel to look for in coming players. Within that same time - 3 consecutive breakouts a winger came below the hash to support the break out. :amazed:

Wow do I miss those days.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haha, this is the game with the dumbfounded Caps fan near the end with the beard.

Good times, back when Letang didn't suck, we didn't pour on certain players, etc etc...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bolded for truth. Kids from WBS like Gibbons until he got hurt or character guys like Billy G. back in 09. Someone has to play that role. Not sure who plays that role now. Do we even have an agitator let alone a character guy?

8jS9nzT.jpg

We do have that beauty beside Beau Bennett.

I think the team right now, has the grit, they just don't have proper direction it seems. Most of the time, the players look like they're just not interested in the game unless they're down and need to some how make it up, it's true, Game 3 was the Pens best game this entire series and Sid & Geno didn't even score in that one.

But a guy like Megna adds grit, Goc being ready to go, adds grit...Gibbons added a dimension that the team has been missing in the top 6 and sadly, Dupers brought it, and that's a speedy guy that is willing to battle.

Even Beau looks like he's not engaging as much.

Sid needs to go out in the next game, play physical and start making stuff happen. Lead by example.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I have every single win of that '09 run stored on my computer, most of them in hi-def.

Every once in a while, I go watch a few of them just to see the differences in the heart and soul of the team, as well as strategy.

I've watched them so often that most of it is seared into my brain, including one of my favorite sequences that probably nobody can even remember. I've watched this shift dozens of times, probably more.

The following link is game 4 of the Washington series. Scroll to 1:26:30 of the video (There's 4:38 left in the game) Max had just scored to make it 5-3, but did the boys sit back? **** no. Look at the havoc that Cooke-Staal-TK created in the Caps zone. Federov gets so pissed off he just fires a slapper from his own blue line because he didn't know what to do anymore. The puck actually almost goes over the glass on MAF's end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diAsQqh8ABM

Listen to the crowd too. It makes me sad to think how far we've fallen since then.

What the **** happened?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I have every single win of that '09 run stored on my computer, most of them in hi-def.

Every once in a while, I go watch a few of them just to see the differences in the heart and soul of the team, as well as strategy.

I've watched them so often that most of it is seared into my brain, including one of my favorite sequences that probably nobody can even remember. I've watched this shift dozens of times, probably more.

The following link is game 4 of the Washington series. Scroll to 1:26:30 of the video (There's 4:38 left in the game) Max had just scored to make it 5-3, but did the boys sit back? **** no. Look at the havoc that Cooke-Staal-TK created in the Caps zone. Federov gets so pissed off he just fires a slapper from his own blue line because he didn't know what to do anymore. The puck actually almost goes over the glass on MAF's end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diAsQqh8ABM

Listen to the crowd too. It makes me sad to think how far we've fallen since then.

What the **** happened?

1. Bylsma decided that he was smarter than everyone else and knew everything there was to know.

2. Shero became risk averse, drafted like ****, and decided that the best way to create a Pens dynasty was not to build around and thus exploit his greatest asset.

darkbrew*

1. Bylsma decided that he was smarter than everyone else and knew everything there was to know.

2. Shero became risk averse, drafted like ****, and decided that the best way to create a Pens dynasty was not to build around and thus exploit his greatest asset.

Woah woah lets not go too far. RIsk averse? Go look at the last 5 years of GM trades and tell me Shero isn't still in the top 5 as far as risk taking. Last years deadline, and consistently trying to improve the team. What do you want him to do desperately try to make a blockbuster where we trade letang for magic beans or something? He takes the shots when he can win.

Many will disagree, but i think Sheros only sin has been sticking with Bylsma past his expiry. Goc, Stemp were really all this team needs to come out of the east if they play like they can. That and health with guys like Beau back in the lineup.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Woah woah lets not go too far. RIsk averse? Go look at the last 5 years of GM trades and tell me Shero isn't still in the top 5 as far as risk taking. Last years deadline, and consistently trying to improve the team. What do you want him to do desperately try to make a blockbuster where we trade letang for magic beans or something? He takes the shots when he can win.

Many will disagree, but i think Sheros only sin has been sticking with Bylsma past his expiry. Goc, Stemp were really all this team needs to come out of the east if they play like they can. That and health with guys like Beau back in the lineup.

Since the Pens won the cup, name one roster player Shero moved who didn't want or price himself out.

It's a trick question: There's only one to name, Gologoski, who at the time was #5 on the depth chart.

Think about that . . . 5 years and the only unforced subtraction from his roster was Gologoski.

Yeah, he'll happily trade away futures. What's the risk, that in 4 years that pick would've been a minor league defenseman (because we all know that pick wouldn't have been a NHL forward)?

No, that's not being a risk taker or even risk neutral.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
Agreed. This and the "Long toss onto Malkin" from Crosby play in his 1st couple weeks when he shredded the Devils and Brodeur... "Shades of Mario". My top 2 Geno goals ever and right up on a short list of my favorites overall.

Agree.
Much better than the overrated BH goal against Carolina for me, which is actually not even in the best 5 goals Geno has ever scored.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Geno during that playoff run was simply unstoppable.

Game 1 vs Flyers (1g, 1a)
Game 2 vs Flyers (1g, 2a)

Game 3 vs Caps (1g, 0a) Top 3 games of Geno's career
Game 5 vs Caps (1g, 1a)
Game 6 vs Caps (1g, 2a)

Game 2 vs Canes (3g, 1a) Top 3 game of Geno's career
Game 3 vs Canes (2g, 1a)

-Game 3 vs Detroit (0g, 3a)
-Game 4 vs Detroit (1g, 1a)

Sid and Geno were really hungry that year. They were dominant all playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad