Malkin's performance in game 3 against Washington in PO 2009

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Those were the times. Not a chance that something like that happens on Saturday, sadly.

Well, you know, there was one change to his line before that game.

Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora was a line designed for December, not May.

After a lackluster 8 games to start the playoffs and with the team down 2-0 to Washington, the coaches (read FITZGERALD, who ran the forwards) suggested putting Max Talbot on Malkin's wing in place of Sykora.

The rest, as they say, is history. Non top six player with a ton of energy just happens to do things out there that help make Malkin a better player. Malkin responds.

Sound familiar? Cough, Vitale (or Megna or Beau), cough.

EDIT: That was an unreal game. Funny thing is, Malkin had NO points at even strength. None. Zip. But, he owned this game. Just on another planet. That's why I said what I said yesterday: Malkin was flying but his line was pedestrian. Think about it. When Malkin is flying, you get games like this Washington game. Points or no, he is dominant, his line is sustaining pressure. Yesterday, Malkin flying, and they barely managed to tilt the ice a little on balance. I hate these coaches. I really do. In games like last night, they do as much to shut Malkin down as the opposition.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

After a lackluster 8 games to start the playoffs and with the team down 2-0 to Washington, the coaches (read FITZGERALD, who ran the forwards) suggested putting Max Talbot on Malkin's wing in place of Sykora.

The rest, as they say, is history. Non top six player with a ton of energy just happens to do things out there that help make Malkin a better player. Malkin responds.

EDIT: That was an unreal game. Funny thing is, Malkin had NO points at even strength. None. Zip. But, he owned this game. Just on another planet. That's why I said what I said yesterday: Malkin was flying but his line was pedestrian. Think about it. When Malkin is flying, you get games like this Washington game. Points or no, he is dominant, his line is sustaining pressure. Yesterday, Malkin flying, and they barely managed to tilt the ice a little on balance. I hate these coaches. I really do. In games like last night, they do as much to shut Malkin down as the opposition.
Well, might be.. But do you really believe that this is all about 3rd wheel of his line?
Btw, I have the exact same opinion on Jokinen as you do..

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
When was the last time Malkin galloped through a group like that...or the last time Sid drove hard to the net or scored on a breakaway...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, might be.. But do you really believe that this is all about 3rd wheel of his line?
Btw, I have the exact same opinion on Jokinen as you do..

Honest answer: I don't know.

Wake me up when we've got a coach who will say 'well, JMN isn't working, so let's try SOMETHING to shake it up'.

See, that's what irks me, and not just about this. Same with Sid and Kunitz. You can see it's not working. And, still, the coach does NOTHING.

Dude should be FIRED for that reason alone.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012

Sadly, Bylsma has a short memory and doesnt remember that. Although maybe we are better off with him not making the change. Who knows it might propel us to the ECF and we keep bylsma and we are stuck with Byslgladamssudorpik next year too.

I'd rather lose. embarassingly

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
That game was the last playoff game I was at. I sat up in F Balcony.. fun times.

I'm also going to the game on Saturday, and will be sitting wayyy up top, hopefully we see a similar effort and result.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
That series was amazing. Was in Washington for Game 5. Geno scores in overtime. I'm wearing my Geno jersey surrounded by trash talking Caps fans. Life highlight.

Malkin was absolutely unstoppable during that run.

How about this one:

malkins_third.gif

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Honest answer: I don't know.

Wake me up when we've got a coach who will say 'well, JMN isn't working, so let's try SOMETHING to shake it up'.

See, that's what irks me, and not just about this. Same with Sid and Kunitz. You can see it's not working. And, still, the coach does NOTHING.

Dude should be FIRED for that reason alone.

And the thing is, Jokinen not working might be the most obviously visible thing on this team (aside from Gladams and Scorpik being wretched Penalty Killers or MAF's brain rattling around like a broken light bulb).

Even I can see how Jokinen bails on everything that would take actual effort on his part, and I know nothing about the strategy of hockey or how to break down plays.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
And the thing is, Jokinen not working might be the most obviously visible thing on this team (aside from Gladams and Scorpik being wretched Penalty Killers or MAF's brain rattling around like a broken light bulb).

Even I can see how Jokinen bails on everything that would take actual effort on his part, and I know nothing about the strategy of hockey or how to break down plays.

You could see Jokinen not working come playoff time all the way back in November. Well, sorry, there's something apparently in the air inside arenas that makes you not able to see it, because the GM and coach apparently didn't.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Geno during that playoff run was simply unstoppable.

Game 1 vs Flyers (1g, 1a)
Game 2 vs Flyers (1g, 2a)

Game 3 vs Caps (1g, 0a) Top 3 games of Geno's career
Game 5 vs Caps (1g, 1a)
Game 6 vs Caps (1g, 2a)

Game 2 vs Canes (3g, 1a) Top 3 game of Geno's career
Game 3 vs Canes (2g, 1a)

-Game 3 vs Detroit (0g, 3a)
-Game 4 vs Detroit (1g, 1a)

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
That passion, tempo and drive for the whole team..fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.. where is it now :cry:

ComplianceBuyout

Feb 18, 2009
Montreal
Man, what a great game. Perfect mix of skill and grit. That team had a never-backdown attitude. Every play was exciting! They all, from the 1st line down to the 4th, had a fire in them. Beautiful to see. We need that again

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Even as a Caps fan that was one of the craziest series I've ever witnessed. AO, Sid and Malkin were on a different level. Hilarious how much younger they looked.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I might do some video editing or flirt with seeing if i can cut some clips. I see all 5 guys as low as the dot in the d-zone supporting defense first. I also see wingers coming down as far as the goal line to give our defense an outlet for a breakout pass. :amazed:

Also.. I can't believe I'm saying this.. Miro Satan is more tenacious than 75% of the team right now. He's playing hungrier than most of our team is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad