Malkin's future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Who said that Crosby would be manning the #1 line? If he is to be the center he will have to earn that. In his way will be Malkin and a guy named Mario. Someone will have to be pushed to second or even third line or someone will have to move to wing. Personally I think keeping them all at center is the best option as each has the ability to make whatever wing look much better than they are.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
freakazoid said:
With Crosby in PIT, how does this affect Malkin's future with the Pens? With Crosby manning the #1 line, what role will Malkin play in all of this?
Malkin will man the #2 line.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
I might be looking for a scenario like Crosby is first lines center, Malkin is second line center. Malkin is first line powerplay center, Sidney is 2nd line powerplay center. No matter what, nobody is given anything on a silver platter in Pittsburgh, and they will both have to earn their spot, and that's what makes the city great.

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Spetzky said:
Malkin can play LW, but he could make for a Sakic-Forsberg combo like in Colorado.

Yes he can, but he will be more effective at centre... it makes me kinda remember the days of Lemieux and Francis. Now we have Crosby and Malkin :bow:

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Mario hasnt played Center that much since he returned from retirement.... even in his 1st year back Hrdina was playing a lot of center on that line with Mario and Jagr.

Mario - Crosby - Recchi
Malone - Malkin - Koltsov/Kovalev

Malkin will be the #2 center i would assume.

Birdman

Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Why not put Malkin and Crosby together?

The Penguins are starting to stockpile young talent and with Patrick running the show, this team has the potential to do some serious damage in 3 or 4 years.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Id love to see the Pens ice a roster like this this year...

Malone-Mario-Recchi
Kovalev-Malkin-Crosby

:yo:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Birdman said:
Why not put Malkin and Crosby together?
The easy answer is that they're both centers.

Another is that they don't want to be a one line team. It would be fun to see them both together, but it's be completely sick to be able to roll out a line manned by Crosby followed by a line anchored by Malkin.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Philip J. Fry said:
Kovalev is not coming to pittsburg...

Why? Money is there to sign him, he had his best years here, and now especially with the new rules he could be set up to score by either Malkin, Crosby or even Mario. He could have a monster year on one of those lines. Why would he not come to Pittsburgh.

Wetcoaster

freakazoid said:
With Crosby in PIT, how does this affect Malkin's future with the Pens? With Crosby manning the #1 line, what role will Malkin play in all of this?
That is assuming Malkin will actually sign for a capped rookie salary in the NHL. According to reports his salary with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the RSL pays him more than he could earn in North America and the tax situation is much more favourable.

Malkin has a lucrative, multiyear contract with his hometown team in the Russian Super League, Metallurg Magnitogorsk. J.P. Barry, one of Malkin's agents, said yesterday that an overhaul of that agreement was completed this week.

"We did a deal last summer," Barry said. "That deal has been extended, and [Malkin's salary was] bumped up."

Although Barry did not divulge details of Malkin's contract, he said that, "on a net dollar basis, he's making quite a bit more than he would in the NHL under this new system," which reduced the amount players can earn on entry-level contracts.

The new CBA will allow the Penguins to pay Malkin a maximum of $984,200, plus signing, roster, reporting and games-played bonuses.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05202/541229.stm

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Spetzky said:
Malkin can play LW, but he could make for a Sakic-Forsberg combo like in Colorado.

I was thinking he could play wing or you build around each.

for example
Line 1 LW-Crosby-RW
Line 2 LW-Malkin-RW

You could have to high powered lines or move Malkin up.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
i don't think crosby or malkin can step into NHL right away and play on the 1st or 2nd line. probably have to break them in slowly from 3rd or 4th line.

i can see the ottawa fans back in 93' thinking. oh cool we have a log jam in center with yashin and daigle (who btw, were picked 1st overall from qmjhl and 2nd overall from russia, coincidence? ; ) but the team still performed poorly with 2 youngsters in center.

i don't think nhl is a league in which a team could have rookie centers on first 2 lines and still maintain competitive.

just my 2 cents.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
chum said:
i don't think crosby or malkin can step into NHL right away and play on the 1st or 2nd line. probably have to break them in slowly from 3rd or 4th line.

i can see the ottawa fans back in 93' thinking. oh cool we have a log jam in center with yashin and daigle (who btw, were picked 1st overall from qmjhl and 2nd overall from russia, coincidence? ; ) but the team still performed poorly with 2 youngsters in center.

i don't think nhl is a league in which a team could have rookie centers on first 2 lines and still maintain competitive.

just my 2 cents.

INHO the duo Malkin/Crosby is better than the young duo Yashin/Daigle...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
chum said:

just my 2 cents.

That Ottowa teams was horrible and didn't have veteran players like Lemieux and Recchi.

Apples 2 Oranges.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
chum said:

Unless Crosby at 18 and Malkin at 19 are better than Jashin and Daigle have ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad