Dreger: Malkin will test the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I wonder if he comes out West.

He's about to be massively, massively overpaid based on past performance, but I'd say he's earned it with his loyalty to the Pens.

Would be amazing to have him play with Podkolzin and Kuzmenko but we don't have the space or ability to offer a long term deal. He probably gets $8-9 million per at least based on name value alone.
I cant see him wanting to go to a team that is closer to retooling than contending if he's going to leave PIT

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I wouldn't be shocked to see a team offer him 9-10M$ per year for 2-3 years. Very high caliber player - and last time he was #1C he swept the awards in 2012.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So after the team paid him $120M and they and the fans treated him like royalty over the years, they should what….grossly overpay him for prior accomplishments when they’re a cap strapped team who’s trying to carefully spend to the cap on a balanced team with enough talent surrounding Sid & Geno so they actually have a prayer at being a legit contender?

I love all these takes that the Pens are f**king over Malkin if they don’t give him a blank check and whatever term he wants despite being a 35+ contract who’s almost guaranteed to only play 50% of the games.

So I guess anything short of like 4 yearse wirhat $9 or $10M is just an insult, and the Pens should bend over and screw themselves.

If paying Malkin $6.1M AAV x 4 years (front loaded and bonus laden of course) is fair and commensurate compensation for what he brings on the ice, how many extra millions of dollars do the Pens need to add on top of that just to compensate his ego?
I agree with your logic mostly but the idea a 4 year deal was offered is false . Accordingly to Rossi the penguins never offered this.
Secondly regardless of the situation, this was handled BAD by Burke and hextall. The player basically had declare himself a free agent a mere day before free agent frenzy started. It should have been handled like Sakic did with Darcy K.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
He always stated that he wants to remain a Penguin for a fair contract.
He doesn't believe that the contract that they offered him so far is fair otherwise he would had already signed.
Hence it's about the money.
I get what you're saying, but money is just one of the variables involved if Geno felt he was disrespected in the negotiation. To say this is only about money is oversimplifying how this negotiation went down.

Fact of the matter is Hextall waited until hours before UFA to sort out a franchise legend's contract extension. What could possibly go wrong?

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
I assume a team will need to sign a 7Mx4year deal for him...

Unless a contender lucks out, Geno is pissed and takes a year or two deal to show the Pens up..

It'll be an awful day for me to see him in a different jersey.
7x4 is a huge risk for signing a 36 year old injury prone vet. Even a PPG one.

Reactions: thegr8one66

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Evgeniglass Malkin hasn't played a full season in 14 years, it seems he loves mid season vacations and at 36 years old it's not going to get any better, buyer beware!

High risk/high reward situation.

I think whatever team signs him, signs him expecting he won't play full season, but will play in playoffs.

Most teams who should be in the mix for him are playoff teams - so whether he plays ~80 games or ~60-65 games, they should still make playoffs. And if he's there for playoffs, big plus.

I think the biggest risk outside of health is simply his ability/production level. He hasn't been elite any of the past 4 seasons. Compare that to Crosby/Ovechkin - and both have been elite at least 3 of the past 4 years, and the 4th one was big injuries. Malkin also hasn't done well in playoffs in 4 years.

But - new team/new circumstances - high risk/high reward. I think he could still do great with a new mix of linemates in a #1C role.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I get what you're saying, but money is just one of the variables involved if Geno felt he was disrespected in the negotiation. To say this is only about money is oversimplifying how this negotiation went down.

Fact of the matter is Hextall waited until hours before UFA to sort out a franchise legend's contract extension. What could possibly go wrong?
Absolutely, if GMJR were still here, Geno (and Letang) would already be re-signed by July ... 2021.

I hope Geno re-sign ASAP, but I don't believe he is bolting for the NYR for a 2x6m just because he felt disrespected, (almost) everybody loves him in Pittsburgh, but it's just business in the end.

Reactions: Extra Texture

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Absolutely, if GMJR were still here, Geno (and Letang) would already be re-signed by July ... 2021.

I hope Geno re-sign ASAP, but I don't believe he is bolting for the NYR for a 2x6m just because he felt disrespected, (almost) everybody loves him in Pittsburgh, but it's just business in the end.

He'd piss off the whole Pittsburgh fanbase if he left for a team friendly deal elsewhere. I don't think he wants to leave that legacy behind. How pissed would you be at Malkin if he signs for 2x6MS in NYR?

I agree with you - if he signs elsewhere, it'll be for big money.

Reactions: Giskard

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Bizarre that the Penguins would cheap out one of their legacy players
ZHGOA4TXP5FCRGA3ZEWUHMSO7M.jpg

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I agree with your logic mostly but the idea a 4 year deal was offered is false . Accordingly to Rossi the penguins never offered this.
Secondly regardless of the situation, this was handled BAD by Burke and hextall. The player basically had declare himself a free agent a mere day before free agent frenzy started. It should have been handled like Sakic did with Darcy K.

Do you seriously, at this point, still put ANY stock into what Rob Rossi says? The guys is as useless and unplugged into the Pens' inside scoop as my great great great great grandmother who died in the 1800's. (actually, if you believe in the paranormal, the ghosts of my deceased ancestors actually have a better view of what's going on inside the Penguins).

So I'll take this reporting at face value saying he double-confirmed Malkin was given 4 years at 6.1M.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If he somehow defects across the state to Philly, that would be "funny" alright, but in a different way. They would have to clear a major salary like JVR, and then would immediately use it to sign a 36 y.o. Malkin rather that Gaudreau. That would be the king of stupid PR moves.

He'd piss off the whole Pittsburgh fanbase if he left for a team friendly deal elsewhere. I don't think he wants to leave that legacy behind. How pissed would you be at Malkin if he signs for 2x6MS in NYR?

I agree with you - if he signs elsewhere, it'll be for big money.
A team friendly deal with a rival would piss fans off, for sure. Because that would mean he took whatever disrespect he felt, and then decided it was more about getting revenge than the original reason of financial security.

But if he went to a non-rival, it would be totally different IMO. For example, if he signed for a similar cap number in Colorado or Calgary (or even a building team, like Seattle) I think many would wish him well, especially if it was for the extra years he wants. Jagr left the franchise at its low ebb, when there was no more money and the ownership picture/future was looking grim, and pushed his way to a rival. Geno would be leaving as one of the two guys that helped put the franchise on a pedestal. I dont think there would be any bad blood after 16 years.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Malkin will sign.

He just wants to see if anyone is stupid enough to offer $10m x2

I think the Pens don't let Malkin go to UFA unless they know they're going to sign one of Kadri (preferred) or Trochek, or have a trade option in place for JT Miller, etc.

They're not going to leave a gaping hole at C.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
The problem with Malkin (and he's my favorite penguin of this era) is that you currently get 50% of the games per season where he is injured and then, 50% of the games he plays he is disinterested or phones it in.

25% greatness. I wouldn't sign that for four years either and, frankly, it's screwed with team chemistry the last couple of years (starting when he couldn't get along with Phil the thrill).

Malkin could have a monster 80 point season but, in reality, he will play 40-50 games and score 35-50 points.

Its very good 2nd line numbers but if some team goes bananas and pays him 10m ....... yikes

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
High risk/high reward situation.

I think whatever team signs him, signs him expecting he won't play full season, but will play in playoffs.

Most teams who should be in the mix for him are playoff teams - so whether he plays ~80 games or ~60-65 games, they should still make playoffs. And if he's there for playoffs, big plus.

I think the biggest risk outside of health is simply his ability/production level. He hasn't been elite any of the past 4 seasons. Compare that to Crosby/Ovechkin - and both have been elite at least 3 of the past 4 years, and the 4th one was big injuries. Malkin also hasn't done well in playoffs in 4 years.

But - new team/new circumstances - high risk/high reward. I think he could still do great with a new mix of linemates in a #1C role.

I generally agree with this, though he was pretty good in the playoffs in 2021 and better this year.

But the last time he was consistently productive and his line crushed it as a #1C with Jake Guentzel and Bryan Rust in '19-'20. Since then, outside of the injuries Malkin has kept playing a high-risk 1C game but with diminishing speed and defense and crappier linemates. Yet regardless, the Penguins as a team have a strong GF% and Malkin has now ranked near the bottom since COVID. His production at 5-on-5 is based on a high-risk, chance trading game. And it's deflated by his linemates but inflated by his insistence that he touches the puck at every chance.

In the end he'll be a risk, but all of FA is a risk I think a few teams would prefer his risk at 4/$27M versus Kadri at 7/$63M. There's still a path for a very successful player for 2 years if you can surround him with true 1st line wingers, think he'll be much more healthy/motivated now, and trust his ability to not pick up any more debilitating injuries.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
Hope it is Washington if he doesn't re-sign with Pittsburgh. Backstrom will be out next year and with his surgery, he may not come back ever (though I hope he defies the odds and can successfully return).

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It hurts me to say this, but I think the Rangers have learned their lesson, and they won't be in on Malkin. Capitals seem to be the clear best fit for Malkin. If he really does leave the Penguins, It will affect the Penguins PP. They'll go from 4 options who can score from distance to 3. If he goes to the Caps, that PP is scary, but hard to see how it's much scarier than it already was.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It hurts me to say this, but I think the Rangers have learned their lesson, and they won't be in on Malkin. Capitals seem to be the clear best fit for Malkin. If he really does leave the Penguins, It will affect the Penguins PP. They'll go from 4 options who can score from distance to 3. If he goes to the Caps, that PP is scary, but hard to see how it's much scarier than it already was.

The Pens' first power play unit has been really weird for years tbh. They aren't statistically bad but they often look totally incompetent, especially on zone entries. They basically get by on the raw talent of Malkin, Letang, and Crosby. Without Malkin, Sullivan would be forced to try alternate configurations that might actually improve the power play.

That's not to say Geno wouldn't be missed. But the Pens' power play has never been as deadly effective as it feels like it should be, even with Malkin.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Said from the get go Malkin was problematic as to the priorities. Pens have all the medical info to make an offer that reflects his physical uncertainty for 3 to 4 years. Pens know who can hold up and who in all likelyhood won't. Rakell will drive a top line that will give the Pens enough scoring without Malkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad