Malkin used as a question in Jeopardy

Sideline

May 23, 2004
:D Grammar Nazi's unite!

I also really, really hate how no one uses an Oxford comma anymore. Ex. "I'd like to thank my parents, Bill Clinton and Oprah." ---> "Wow, your parents are Bill Clinton and Oprah?" Y U NO comma before "and"?

People that don't use the Oxford comma should be treated with ill concealed contempt.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
People that don't use the Oxford comma should be treated with ill concealed contempt.

Vile cretins, the lot of them. And ill-concealed is hyphenated.

OH!

2921560757_06406e5bf9-450x361.jpg

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Vile cretins, the lot of them. And ill-concealed is hyphenated.

OH!

2921560757_06406e5bf9-450x361.jpg

I take the same approach to grammar that I do to hockey: bandwagon for the best. Oxford Comma = Pittsburgh Penguins of grammar. Hyphenating = Washington Capitals of grammar.

useless

Feb 2, 2011
lol that's great. Geno has a new reason skate out last on intro's, Crosby isn't on Jeoprady :)

scottrodo

Mar 8, 2009
Wheeling, WV
If you wanna get really technical... those aren't even quotes, they are inch-marks. It's a typographical faux-pas to use inch-marks instead of quote marks. Quote marks in that typeface are curved like 66 and 99.

And the hyphen in 2011-12 should be an N-dash to denote a "range". It should be written as 2011–12 not 2011-12.

The 'straight quotes' have to be the result of the font set they use for the show. I heartily agree that they should be 'smart quotes' and I agree even more about the en-dash.

Damned Philistines, butchering the simplest language in the world.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
The 'straight quotes' have to be the result of the font set they use for the show. I heartily agree that they should be 'smart quotes' and I agree even more about the en-dash.

Damned Philistines, butchering the simplest language in the world.

Naw, the quote marks are available in that font set. The Jeopardy! people just don't know better, is all.

font_rend.php

en-dash is there too.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Yeah, but none of the Grammar Nazis noticed the lack of a period at the end of the statement. Pffft . . .

The lack of period can be justified as creative-license, aesthetics by omission. I do it all the time, but I'm less inclined to do it if the copy is replete with other punctuation marks, because then they really highlight the missing period. Which, you yourself noticed... and that's case-in-point.

See what I did there? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad