Pittsburgh
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=249279&navid=nhl:topheads

malkin_zps0d0a1cc9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guy's answer was Crosby :laugh:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Saw this earlier. It absolutely killed me. :laugh:

My favorite part is how after he was told the answer was incorrect, the other two contestants just stood there with blank stares.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
I've heard that contestants to appear get some type of study guide before going on. I wonder if there's any truth to that.

zhenya71

Mar 2, 2011
Am I the only person bothered by the placement of the comma relative to the second quotation mark?

zhenya71

Mar 2, 2011
It is correct.

Source: I am better at English than hockey.

Yeah because it's referencing a name as opposed to an actual quote, right?

Affirmative.

Not that it really matters, but...

The placement of the comma is wrong, and it doesn't matter that it's referencing a name or word rather than a sentence or clause or whatever. In American English, commas and periods go inside quotes; in British English, it's the other way around.

If you're interested, see this link (it's near the end): http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/566/01/

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Am I the only person bothered by the placement of the comma relative to the second quotation mark?

:D Grammar Nazi's unite!

I also really, really hate how no one uses an Oxford comma anymore. Ex. "I'd like to thank my parents, Bill Clinton and Oprah." ---> "Wow, your parents are Bill Clinton and Oprah?" Y U NO comma before "and"?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
:D Grammar Nazi's unite!

I also really, really hate how no one uses an Oxford comma anymore. Ex. "I'd like to thank my parents, Bill Clinton and Oprah." ---> "Wow, your parents are Bill Clinton and Oprah?" Y U NO comma before "and"?

Yeah, but none of the Grammar Nazis noticed the lack of a period at the end of the statement. Pffft . . .

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Everyone knows Crosby. Unfortunately, he's pretty much the only household name in the US when it comes to active hockey players.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Last edited:

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
If you wanna get really technical... those aren't even quotes, they are inch-marks. It's a typographical faux-pas to use inch-marks instead of quote marks. Quote marks in that typeface are curved like 66 and 99.

And the hyphen in 2011-12 should be an N-dash to denote a "range". It should be written as 2011–12 not 2011-12.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: