Proposal: Malkin to CGY

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
To CGY: Malkin + 2020 1st
To PITS: Monahan + Brodie

Malkin would make the Flames older but he would be a huge upgrade on Monahan. The cap would work since we unload Brodie too. Brodie would make a decent replacement if they are in fact shopping Letang.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I will admit, Malkin would be tempting, but no from the Flames.

Here's the thing. Malkin has put up one season better than Monahan last year since the lockout. Mostly due to injuries. But you can't forget that injuries exist and can get worse as a player ages.

If Malkin was guaranteed healthy I'd do this, but that plus the extra cap hit make this a no from me.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Why are the Flames trading their 24 year old center for a 32 year old center?

Yes Malkin is the better player, that's no debate, but Monahan will be a Flame for another decade while Malkin would be with the Flames for like 3-4 years.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Flames fan here. Malkin is clearly still a higher level of talent than Monahan. However, at 33 he's just too old for the Flames to give up a major asset like Monahan for. The rest of Calgary's core is largely young, and the Flames don't have a solid pipeline of high end centers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rutherford's rowed back hard on the idea that he could trade Malkin and Letang and I think it would take a considerable overpayment to change that. So can't see this from either side.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I will admit, Malkin would be tempting, but no from the Flames.

Here's the thing. Malkin has put up one season better than Monahan last year since the lockout. Mostly due to injuries. But you can't forget that injuries exist and can get worse as a player ages.

If Malkin was guaranteed healthy I'd do this, but that plus the extra cap hit make this a no from me.
There's no mostly. It's only due to injuries.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Flames would be stupid to move a 24 year old healthy and reliable Monahan for a soon to be 33 year old injury prone Malkin

That's not a smart trade for Calgary.....at all

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Johnny, Backlund, 2020 1st for Malkin and Kessel

That’s extremely far fetched for both sides but it’s the only way I consider moving Malkin to CGY. Because I would want a plus on Monahan and Flames fans are reluctant to move him anyways

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Compare Malkin to Monahan is like kawhi Leonard to demars DeRozan. I'd trade Monahan for one year of Malkin IF he can still play.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Compare Malkin to Monahan is like kawhi Leonard to demars DeRozan. I'll trade Monahan for one year of Malkin IF he can still play.

This isn’t the NBA. One player doesn’t win you a championship and we’d just be shooting ourselves in the foot for the future

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This isn’t the NBA. One player doesn’t win you a championship and we’d just be shooting ourselves in the foot for the future
True but I doubt the flames can win with Monahan as the #1 center..nba or not

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
To CGY: Malkin + 2020 1st
To PITS: Monahan + Brodie

Malkin would make the Flames older but he would be a huge upgrade on Monahan. The cap would work since we unload Brodie too. Brodie would make a decent replacement if they are in fact shopping Letang.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOPPPPPPPPP. UGH.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
True but I doubt the flames can win with Monahan as the #1 center..nba or not
Why is that? The Blues just won with Schenn and O’Reilly. Monahan is 3 years younger than both of those guys and continually out produces them. The Flames need a huge upgrade on Backlund and a guy that plays a little more physical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad