LeBrun: Malkin, Pens still struggling to find common ground on contract

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
Screenshot_20220709-191053.png

Seems as if Hextall and Geno's camp are still having issues getting a deal done with free agency just 4 days away.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
I, like some other Pens fans, want Malkin back. I also don't think the team needs him back if his contract demands are unreasonable. The last few seasons haven't been world beaters and Malkin has been trending the wrong way. Due to loyalty to the player I wouldn't ask him to take a sweetheart deal, but I'd ask him to take a fair one. I do wonder who to think is being unrealistic with the contract. Is the player asking for more term than appropriate, more AAV than he's reasonably worth, or is the Org/GM not valuing the player fairly. We may never know.

All of the above is why I probably wouldn't make a good GM.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
If Penguin is going in a rebuild in 3 years when Crosby's contract is up, it makes no difference to sign Malkin for 5 years, right?
I feel like you are baiting, but I'll play along. While Malkin and Letang aren't direct comparable because of many factors in a strictly window/projection based thing it's kind of close. Two key differences between signing them long term IMO: Letang may still be an asset as the window closes for Pittsburgh. Meaning he might still hold minimal positive value in 3 years. Malkin's trends indicate he'd be a negative value asset by that time. Item 2 and the far more relevant one, Letang took a significant cut from market AAV with that term. If Malkin was willing to do the same, I might even entertain it. But I'd put Malkin at like 6m market AAV meaning he'd have to come down to like 4-4.5 for me to sign him long term.

Again, probably why I'd be a horrible GM.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
After giving Letang 6 years, you’re going to try and force Malkin to go short term? That makes no sense. Just give him his term. The team only has a couple years left anyways
My thoughts too. Just pay the man 7.5 x 4.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm gonna be annoyed if we lose Malkin over one year.

I pretty much guarantee you that they're not going to lose Malkin if the difference is only 1 year with the same AAV.

Just like that horrendous Rossi article about how "disrespected" and "distraught" Malkin feels, this is just JP Barry trying to push the Penguins into caving into Malkin's demands.

If Penguin is going in a rebuild in 3 years when Crosby's contract is up, it makes no difference to sign Malkin for 5 years, right?

Crosby came out when Letang signed his deal and said he wants to play for longer than his current contract.

Reactions: RSPens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did I just see Pens fan putting a market value of Malkin at 6aav and long term at 4? LOL

Malkin could easily get 7-8m on open market. If he wants 7x4 just give it to him

The current negotiation is that the Penguins are at $6 million a year for 3 years, while Malkin would be fine with that AAV if it came in at 4 years instead. That's at least according to the Athletic.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
After giving Letang 6 years, you’re going to try and force Malkin to go short term? That makes no sense. Just give him his term. The team only has a couple years left anyways

Because Letang might be the best conditioned player in the NHL, and can play into his mid 40’s if he chooses to, just like Chelios did.

Malkin OTOH *might* be capable of playing 3 more years.

No NHL contender or even above average team is going to give Malkin a 4 or 5 year contract. I wonder just how many really good teams would offer him even 3 years?

And if he’s truly still a productive player after 3 years, there’s nothing to preclude him signing another 1 or 2 year deal at that point.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Malkin's agent is desperately trying to push the media to get the Penguins to give him an extra year. Nothing to see here.

Exactly. This is pure “negotiating through the media” to try to pressure the Pens.

Play great hockey for 3 years Geno, and the Pens or other teams will be happy to sign you for a year like Joe Pavelski. And if you want to retire at that point, the Penguins will give you a cushy hockey ops job anyway if that’s what you want.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why not? He’s a year older and has had far more injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad