Who would you take for next 3 years

• Malkin

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Kopitar

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
For Oil I'd go Kopy as we have enough high end scoring talent but a shutdown #3c for the playoffs would be perfect.

Reactions: slapKing

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I know it's risky to take Malkin, because he misses time every year. But I can't pass him up. Love Kopitar. But this is Malkin, still, all the way.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Easily Kopitar.

Malkin is obviously the better talent, but Kopitar is a year younger and plays the games so I could depend on him more. One has missed 29 games in his career and the other has missed 255.

Unless you’re Mario Lemieux, you can’t miss that much time and not be penalized, especially going forward.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Malkin is better so i voted for him.

Injuries makes this complicated so I expext it'll be close

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Kopi has played 89 more games than Malkin in the last 4 seasons. So I would probably take him.

Although the point difference is impressively only 20 in favor of Kopitar.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Depends on how good my team is I guess. If I can make the playoffs despite his missed games, like Pittsburgh, I’d take Malkin and hope he’s healthy and on his game when it matters. If not, I’d probably take Kopitar

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even as a Pens fan I'm leaning towards Kopitar here. It's not the missed games I mind so much as the fear that the next one is going to be it.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Easily Kopitar.

Malkin is obviously the better talent, but Kopitar is a year younger and plays the games so I could depend on him more. One has missed 29 games in his career and the other has missed 255.

Unless you’re Mario Lemieux, you can’t miss that much time and not be penalized, especially going forward.
I’m actually surprised Malkin hasn’t missed more than that even

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I’m actually surprised Malkin hasn’t missed more than that even

He missed only 4 games total in his first 3 seasons so nearly all of his missed time has come in the past 13 years; an average of close to 20 per year or 1/4 of every season. Looking at it like that makes it seem more right.

It didn’t feel like it at the time, but through 2011-2012, it certainly seemed like Crosby was going to be the bigger question mark with time missed and what it does to a career.

Then Malkin took over the injury mantle while Crosby missed “only” 82 games since then, with 12 coming the season after, 28 during COVID Year 1, and of course 12 this season.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is the first time in Kopitar's career I might say Malkin...I could be wrong as soon as next season--in fact, i HOPE I'm terribly wrong--but it looks like Father Time finally showed up for Kopitar and beat the everliving shit out of him behind a shed.

He's played waayyyy too much hockey over the last decade, and has been healthy for virtually all of it, playing all the hardest defensive/PK minutes...so it's not REALLY surprising, but it is VERY sad to watch him right now, looks like a dying dog out there.

But if it's the Kopitar of every year up until now, I pick Kopitar without blinking. Malkin is amazing but the raw consistency of Anze all over the ice, 20 minutes a game, 82+ games a year is completely underrated and arguably legendary. If it weren't the Bergeron era or if Anze played in Chicago or East, he'd have had a LOT more fanfare.

• Haha
Reactions: Cape

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad