Malkin High Sticking Match Penalty (Suspended for One Game)

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Can this thread be closed? It’s over and done with.
I mean, you could always just not click on the link if you don't want to join the discussion. The best way to close a thread yourself is to not open it to begin with.

It's not like the thread has been derailed and turned into a ****show. It's actually been a fairly reasonable discussion between two fanbases that hate each other.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
JVR got a $5000 fine for a similar play in the Flyers previous game. And he actually hit Alec Martinez in the face and sent him off the ice.

I am not saying Malkin should have gotten less, I said earlier 1-2 games would be about right. I just find it odd that this thread is still going with people saying he got off easy.
Again, as a flyer fan, jvr got off way too easy.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
JVR got a $5000 fine for a similar play in the Flyers previous game. And he actually hit Alec Martinez in the face and sent him off the ice.

I am not saying Malkin should have gotten less, I said earlier 1-2 games would be about right. I just find it odd that this thread is still going with people saying he got off easy.
I won't dispute any of that as I didn't see that incident.

Did JvR swing it with what appears to be intent to swat the other player? It's obvious that Malkin was retaliating for the punch to the head.

Sadly, this is yet another example of the official letting something go that directly results in a retaliating offense that could have been prevented should that official have done his job properly.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
It's a fair point by Malkin. He missed 5 games because of a neck injury and then his first game back Raffl cross-checks him in the high-mid back region and then punches him in the head.

So if this is 1-game for Malkin, how many games would Raffl have gotten had it come out that he had re-injured Malkin with that cross-check/punch combo? (The answer is: Probably zero)

And that was my take several pages ago. How the league can let that one go is beyond me.

I dont care if Malkin gets 5 games (because that would be fine), all I argue is that Raffl should have a severe suspension as well.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I won't dispute any of that as I didn't see that incident.

Did JvR swing it with what appears to be intent to swat the other player? It's obvious that Malkin was retaliating for the punch to the head.

Sadly, this is yet another example of the official letting something go that directly results in a retaliating offense that could have been prevented should that official have done his job properly.

I guess my point is this: yes, star players get preferential treatment. In this instance, it doesn't seem to be the case, since there was a similar (not identical - looked more accidental) incident with a player whipping his stick around that received neither a penalty nor suspension. I like JVR as a player, but wouldn't really consider him a star.

I see this with the Crosby and Malkin cup checks..."they aren't suspended cuz they're stars (or Penguins)" outrage rains down. Yet we see these plays fairly often, and the guilty party is almost never suspended.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I'm sure Malkin and Pens fans would all agree that back in 2008 when Malkin tackled Hartnell and repeatedly punched him in the back of the head, it would have beeen acceptable for Hartnell to have gotten up and slashed Malkin in the face.

I'm sure they wouldn't have uttered a single complaint in that situation in order to be consistent.
Talking about taking a childish crap right in the middle of the thread. Using 2008, the Flyers and Hartnell out of all people for your argument...

Trully hit it out of the park with this one...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Talking about taking a childish crap right in the middle of the thread. Using 2008, the Flyers and Hartnell out of all people for your argument...

Trully hit it out of the park with this one...

I know I did, hence why you didn't do anything to dispel the comparison.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t think you know what a comparison means. Hence why there was no point being made in your post. But keep on going showing off what a witty guy you are...

I directly compared Malkin's past actions to Raffl's. What Malkin did was worse, and somehow Hartnell didn't get up and try to slash Malkin in the face. Based on some of the reasoning displayed in this thread though, If Hartnell had tried to take Malkin's face off then a lot of Pens fans would have supported it, or they'd be hypocrites.

Are you sure you know what a comparison is?

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I directly compared Malkin's past actions to Raffl's. What Malkin did was worse, and somehow Hartnell didn't get up and try to slash Malkin in the face. Based on some of the reasoning displayed in this thread though, If Hartnell had tried to take Malkin's face off then a lot of Pens fans would have supported it, or they'd be hypocrites.

Are you sure you know what a comparison is?
No, you actually refered to the fans reaction, while all Pens fans agreed what Malkin did was wrong. :heretohelp:

Good to see the Pens live rent-free in your head since you’re using 2008 and Hartnell to try and make a point, though...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, you actually refered to the fans reaction, while all Pens fans agreed what Malkin did was wrong. :heretohelp:

Good to see the Pens live rent-free in your head since you’re using 2008 and Hartnell to try and make a point, though...

I referred to numerous things to point out double standards. That is a possibility. How are you struggling with this?

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
This one seems pretty clearcut to me: Raffl's abusing 71 in way that should never be permitted by the refs, dooshy--especially the embellishment, but it what guys like him do. Since, 1) the refs didn't do their jobs, and 2) Geno can often be an idiot, he reacted, as expected, foolishly.

Thus, the fault, again, is the pizzpoor officiating, with a secondary assist by 71.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
So your stance is that if an official put his arm in the air Malkin would have somehow known a delayed penalty was being called while looking down at the puck and he wouldn't have swung his stick?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
And that was my take several pages ago. How the league can let that one go is beyond me.

I dont care if Malkin gets 5 games (because that would be fine), all I argue is that Raffl should have a severe suspension as well.
You think Raffl should have been suspended for that? That's a 2 minute penalty at worst. This has to be one of the most illogical bias opinions I've ever seen here and that's saying something.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Yeah, I understand that it's very situational and it would be a slippery slope if you punished Raffl because of Malkin's recent injury, but I think it at least serves for people to understand why Malkin would swing his stick like that. Some people are acting as though it's the dirtiest thing ever and "oh my god how could he do such a thing, blah blah blah".

Reactions: Casanova

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So your stance is that if an official put his arm in the air Malkin would have somehow known a delayed penalty was being called while looking down at the puck and he wouldn't have swung his stick?

It's quite possible the referee could have WHISTLED them both off for roughing to try and manage a game that clearly had some kindling: division rivals, 3 goal difference late in the game, etc. and might have prevented this situation from escalating. Good refs manage games, just like good parents manage siblings from getting out of control.

But don't take that to mean I'm absolving Malkin. It was a dangerous, dumb and selfish thing to do. He even admits the Flyers were going to take liberties considering the game circumstances yet he fell for it. Moron

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
You think Raffl should have been suspended for that? That's a 2 minute penalty at worst. This has to be one of the most illogical bias opinions I've ever seen here and that's saying something.

What is the difference between this and the Bertuzzi-Moore incident?

Sure Bertuzzi took a few strides and had more strength, thats it. Malkin also had an injury history which makes it quite possible/probable that it was with malintent.

Is it strange that I want sucker punches to the neck to get out of hockey? Or that I want people targeting injured players suspended? Or that I want glorified AHLers that targets star players out of the league?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It's quite possible the referee could have WHISTLED them both off for roughing to try and manage a game that clearly had some kindling: division rivals, 3 goal difference late in the game, etc. and might have prevented this situation from escalating. Good refs manage games, just like good parents manage siblings from getting out of control.

But don't take that to mean I'm absolving Malkin. It was a dangerous, dumb and selfish thing to do. He even admits the Flyers were going to take liberties considering the game circumstances yet he fell for it. Moron
Oh yeah, I'm sure Pens fans would have been thrilled if the refs stopped play and called both guys for roughing after Malkin got crosschecked and then punched in the head and didn't do anything at all. It's not the refs job to make up penalties and stop play to prevent guys from wildly swinging their sticks at other players faces. The idea that the refs could have predicted Malkins response is a stretch.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I mean, you could always just not click on the link if you don't want to join the discussion. The best way to close a thread yourself is to not open it to begin with.

It's not like the thread has been derailed and turned into a ****show. It's actually been a fairly reasonable discussion between two fanbases that hate each other.

Closed Thread

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
What is the difference between this and the Bertuzzi-Moore incident?

Sure Bertuzzi took a few strides and had more strength, thats it. Malkin also had an injury history which makes it quite possible/probable that it was with malintent.

Is it strange that I want sucker punches to the neck to get out of hockey? Or that I want people targeting injured players suspended? Or that I want glorified AHLers that targets star players out of the league?
The difference is Bertuzzi jumped an unsuspecting player from behind and after throwing a haymaker to the back/side of Moore's head, he then drove him face first into the ice and broke his neck, ending his career and leaving him with a permanent brain injury. Totally the same as throwing a 6 inch rabbit punch that barely moved Malkins lid.

Would it be fair if I said what's the difference between this and the McSorley-Brasheer incident? See how dumb that sounds?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Good next time Crosby/Ovechkin does something stupid the NHL should have the facts and guts to suspend either as well
Or how about the next time McDavid crosschecks someone in the face...oh wait the refs didn't even call a penalty on that...hmm...I guess some people do get special treatment, just not Malkin anymore.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I referred to numerous things to point out double standards. That is a possibility. How are you struggling with this?
It’s quite obvious at this point that you’re struggling explaining what you wanted to say, but hey it’s been over a decade of free rent, not going to complain...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Oh yeah, I'm sure Pens fans would have been thrilled if the refs stopped play and called both guys for roughing after Malkin got crosschecked and then punched in the head and didn't do anything at all. It's not the refs job to make up penalties and stop play to prevent guys from wildly swinging their sticks at other players faces. The idea that the refs could have predicted Malkins response is a stretch.

Are you new to hockey? I've seen players get punched in scrums all day and not do anything, yet get set off for a matching minor. If you have kids I'm sure you've sent one to their rooms when they weren't necessarily guilty.
And that's part of the deal- Pens fans would have rather seen Malkin sit for basically doing nothing for 2 mins over 1 game (or worse). Again goes back to the officials tolerating this garbage until it escalates into something bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad