Confirmed with Link: Malcolm Subban(CHI G) to BUF for Future Considerations

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
With Levi returning to school and Portillo believed to be leaning in that direction, it's times to fire up the Subban contract extension talks. C'mon Kevyn, you can't let this one get away too!

• Haha
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
With Levi returning to school and Portillo believed to be leaning in that direction, it's times to fire up the Subban contract extension talks. C'mon Kevyn, you can't let this one get away too!
But why?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Subban would be a fine option for a vet in Rochester, he's been around and he seems like a good team guy. Hopefully that's the extent of it if they re-sign him though, vet mentor in Rochester is his ceiling at this point.
The problem is that any injury to a goaltender in Buffalo (it happens a lot with us) and then you have to call Subban, and I'm not sure if he is a good goaltender in the NHL. A vet is needed, but such that if he can play in the AHL and if he can replace someone in the NHL and look not bad.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
The problem is that any injury to a goaltender in Buffalo (it happens a lot with us) and then you have to call Subban, and I'm not sure if he is a good goaltender in the NHL. A vet is needed, but such that if he can play in the AHL and if he can replace someone in the NHL and look not bad.
Generally if you're relying on an AHL goalie in the event of an injury you aren't going to be getting NHL caliber play. Vets in the AHL are typically going to be guys who can't make it in the NHL full time. I'd imagine the emergency call-up would be Portillo anyway if they get him signed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Subban seems like a part of their vibes thing. If they don't have Portillo signed or Levi signed for the Amerks for next year, and the intention is to still try to shoehorn Luukkonen into starting some or most of the Sabres games (which is a different conversation), Subban could be an option for them. At some point though, they're going to have to worry about winning games over being friends with people. Remember keeping a broken down husk of Bogosian in the lineup just to keep Jack's card buddy and the team DJ happy? He murdered them nightly out there and no feels were worth the damage he was doing to the GF/GA total.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Generally if you're relying on an AHL goalie in the event of an injury you aren't going to be getting NHL caliber play. Vets in the AHL are typically going to be guys who can't make it in the NHL full time. I'd imagine the emergency call-up would be Portillo anyway if they get him signed.
I understand, but vets are different, I'm not fond of Tokarski, but even he seems to be a more reliable guy than Subban.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Why do you think this?
Erik Portillo (BUF) did everything in his power to give Michigan a chance. He was excellent in net for the Wolverines with 30 saves on 33 shots. He was under duress for much of the game and just didn’t get enough goal support. The big Swede had to fight for a lot of those saves through traffic and did a great job. It is believed he will return to school for next season, but nothing is set in stone.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
With Levi returning, that means Portillo's path to an NHL spot is wide open. The AHL net is his for next year, and there is nothing stopping him from going all the way to Sabres starter except his own development. What more could a prospect goalie ask for? He will sign soon. The opportunity is WAY to good. His agent should be fired if he passes. The chances are the Michigan team will not be as good next year after all the NHL talent departs. His stats could be worse next year.

I have convinced myself 98.77 repeating that he signs this week.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Season would be dead before it started
Idk if the season would be dead before it started. UPL posted some pretty good numbers in the NHL this year.

But…it seems pretty risky to bank on that considering his injuries and meh AHL numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad