Making the most of the defense

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree that this is the best top 6 we can come up with right now.

Grossmann-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
MDZ-Schenn

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Good article but I don't love the idea of Grossmann being on the ice for 20 minutes a game though. He limits the transition to offense like no other defensemen I have seen.

I would still prefer

Coburn-MDZ
MacDonald-Schenn
Grossmann-Streit

Coburn and MDZ is an unknown but from what I have seen, MDZ is a high-risk player when it comes to pinching and that can lead to 2 on 1s or 2 on 2s with a forward back on defense. Who do you want back on that rush defending it..Coburn or Schenn? Theirs a reason Schenn is -6. A lot of the goals have come after MDZ (right or wrong) pinched in to keep in a puck or led the rush up the once resulting in a transition back the other way with Schenn either by himself or with a forward.

Lecavalier was back on defense covering for MDZ when 2 of the Devils goals were scored.

Voracek was back on defense covering for MDZ when Zubrus scored the GWG for Jersey. Schenn was too slow getting over to negate the shot. Coburn wouldn't have been.

Furthermore, those 2nd and 3rd pairs have played together well in the past..so as long as the Coburn-MDZ experiment works out, we are set.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Grossmann kills every group I see. We need to get him replaced ASAP.

I don't want him in a top/second pairing with Streit. I don't want him on a top/second pairing with Coburn. I sure as hell don't want him paired with whoever is left over, either. I just don't want him out there.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse

I don't want him in a top/second pairing with Streit. I don't want him on a top/second pairing with Coburn. I sure as hell don't want him paired with whoever is left over, either. I just don't want him out there.

There must be a way to trade Grossmann or can he just be put on waivers and hope someone grabs him to free up the 3.5mil in capspace? Not really sure how it works with a modified NTC. This guy is killing me everytime he's out there it makes me cringe, wonder if Mason feels the same way...lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Absolutely.

Can the quicker, more agile Mark Alt really not be a better fit than Gross?

Is this Berubes stupidity, Murrays negative influence holding the young defensemen back or Hextall mandating that no young defensemen be called up?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think if Grossmann keeps doing what he's doing, eventually the org will be forced to do something. They can't be that blind, right?

Then again, Berube completely failed to notice how much better the team and Luke Schenn were with Gus instead of Mez, so it's entirely possible he sticks stubbornly with Grossmann until the bitter end, or until Hextall just removes him as an option.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think the organization is often caught trying to justify some of these higher paid guys & it usually never works.

Yup. Grossmann is only in the top four because of his salary at this point. I don't really hold the signing against Homer though. Grossmann hasn't been the same since the Malkin chicken wing in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Before that, he looked at least adequate in the role of second pair stay home guy.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Absolutely.

Can the quicker, more agile Mark Alt really not be a better fit than Gross?

Is this Berubes stupidity, Murrays negative influence holding the young defensemen back or Hextall mandating that no young defensemen be called up?

Hextall has said that he doesn't want to rush the young defensemen, and that he'll only bring them up if they prove to be too good for the AHL. The other problem is that Grossmann and Schenn aren't just going to disappear because someone is called up. You have to try and get a trade done to open up the spot, but I can't imagine that too many teams are chomping at the bit to bring Grossmann to their roster.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
Get ready to flame away folks.....

I would move Luke Schenn before I move Grossmann, if it came down to the pair. I think Grossmann tried to do too much. The problem when he does get pulled out of position, is that he is obviously slower to get back.

Grossmann does spend a lot of time on the right side of the puck, and I think that's why it's harder for this organization to let him go. I'm sure they could find a bunch of teams willing to take Grossmann for a 7th. but to this defense he's worth more then that, and he lightens the load a lot for our goalies.

K, start yelling and telling me that I' m stupid and you're glad I'm not a GM. :laugh:

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I think the organization is often caught trying to justify some of these higher paid guys & it usually never works.

You hit the nail right on the head...why would they sit a guy(Grossmann) earning 3.5mil a year and bring up someone more talented and speedier making way less money, that would make no sense...:sarcasm:
At this point anyone Dman in AHL is probably better than Pylon Grossmann.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Get ready to flame away folks.....

I would move Luke Schenn before I move Grossmann, if it came down to the pair. I think Grossmann tried to do too much. The problem when he does get pulled out of position, is that he is obviously slower to get back.

Grossmann does spend a lot of time on the right side of the puck, and I think that's why it's harder for this organization to let him go. I'm sure they could find a bunch of teams willing to take Grossmann for a 7th. but to this defense he's worth more then that, and he lightens the load a lot for our goalies.

K, start yelling and telling me that I' m stupid and you're glad I'm not a GM. :laugh:

sorry but disagree..

L.Schenn is still young enuf to hopefully get it together... Grossmann is old as dirt and he aint getting better, he is what he is...

RJ8812*

L. Schenn isnt going to get anything together. He just isnt good enough and lacks hockey IQ

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Luke Schenn is what he is......he's a finished product who struggles with consistency....consistently!
The whole argument that he needs to be paired properly and is serviceable has some merit but to me there is no unfair "scrutiny" of him. The flaws are plain as day....he lacks NHL caliber footwork and is too damn slow for this league. He is still young so he able to compensate but it won't be long before he is another Grossmann...get rid of him while he still has some freakin value which isn't much. Holmgren effed up.....plain and simple. For this team to move on..it has to rid itself of his garbage.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Sounds like a Dr. Seuss rhyme.
Would you like Grossman here or there?
I do not like Nick Grossman.
Would on your top pairing?
I do not like Nick here or there. I do not like Nick anywhere.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
sorry but disagree..

L.Schenn is still young enuf to hopefully get it together... Grossmann is old as dirt and he aint getting better, he is what he is...

Luke plays a physical brand of hockey. Wait another couple of years and his body will start to respond to the wear and tear, injuries will catch up with him and mobility will be decreased further.
He will be just like Grossmann besides making even more money...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well in two years I think he will be making considerably less money than he and Grossmann are now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad