Making Sense of the Current Red Wings

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Aug 6, 2012
They didn't dominate. The shot total is so skewed in our favor because we take wrist shots from the blue line half the time we enter the zone.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Yea they really didn't dominate, it doesn't help that jimmy gave up a goal on the first shot in the game just like the nucks game. They made their very few chances count. It seems every team we play is really good at keeping us to the outside so we can't get in the middle and get those high quality chances while at the same time we give up those chances a lot to the opponent.

Aug 6, 2012
Yea they really didn't dominate, it doesn't help that jimmy gave up a goal on the first shot in the game just like the nucks game. They made their very few chances count. It seems every team we play is really good at keeping us to the outside so we can't get in the middle and get those high quality chances while at the same time we give up those chances a lot to the opponent.

Other than Brunner, nobody consistently tries to take advantage of the soft spots in the slot.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

But how many shots we had in the slot that went wide trying to hunt corners?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Domination?
Oy.

The Wings lost because their rookie D got eaten alive. Smith's defensive inexperience was on display on goal one.
Lashoff was amateur hour on two other goals.

My guestion is, why did Babcock pair two rookies?

The Wings lost due to terrible special teams, the star players not scoring and Jimmy not making enough saves.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
The Wings lost due to terrible special teams, the star players not scoring and Jimmy not making enough saves.

Smith and Lashoff looked bad... but Howard still needs to (and could/should have) make those saves. He gave up four goals on 19 shots. Yeah, there were some pretty good chances. The first Seto goal, it looks like he didn't even see it. The Brodziak goal was backdoor, but Howard looked slow to react and slow to move laterally even for Howard; had he been moving at normal speed he might have stopped it. The Koivu goal was an unscreened wrister from the slot that just plain beat him under the arm. And the second Seto goal was amateur hour on the PK; Howard gave up a bad rebound into the slot, and it bounced right into Lashoff's skates. Lashoff hit the trough before coming back to try and find the puck, and by that time Seto had banged it in the net.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Lashoff was pitiful last night. The main thing that hasn't made sense this year are the statements that our coach and GM continue to make. If you say the best players will play then you should play the best players...not the ones you like the most.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lashoff was pitiful last night. The main thing that hasn't made sense this year are the statements that our coach and GM continue to make. If you say the best players will play then you should play the best players...not the ones you like the most.

Is Huskins really so much better option than Lashoff? He is the only piece we have to bring some other guy to replace Lashoff.

I think we are going to miss Quincey pretty badly during the next month. PK has started cracking again, it was one of the rare parts that has been working in latest weeks.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
I was more so referring to some of our forwards, but yes, I believe that Huskins is a better option than Lashoff. Does Huskins make those same egregious errors as Lash did on both of this goals last night?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I was more so referring to some of our forwards, but yes, I believe that Huskins is a better option than Lashoff. Does Huskins make those same egregious errors as Lash did on both of this goals last night?
No, because the games I've seen Huskins he's just wanted to play defense and make smart, crisp breakout passes. Who wants that?

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I don't understand why we dump and chase ALL THE TIME now! We have too much depth and skill to not be able to transition into the offensive zone without dumping and chasing. And it's even worse when we let teams keep us on the perimeter and take low percentage shots from the blueline and on the outside along the boards. We need better transition, net front traffic (a Holmstrom- like player would be awesome) and an efficient cycle to create higher percentage shots from better areas. That is the solution to our lack of production offensively.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Truthfully min got two Sunday hops on rebounds and the Wing had a goal stolen

Actual Thought*

I don't understand why we dump and chase ALL THE TIME now! We have too much depth and skill to not be able to transition into the offensive zone without dumping and chasing. And it's even worse when we let teams keep us on the perimeter and take low percentage shots from the blueline and on the outside along the boards. We need better transition, net front traffic (a Holmstrom- like player would be awesome) and an efficient cycle to create higher percentage shots from better areas. That is the solution to our lack of production offensively.
The team simply lacks skill on the back end. They simply don't have the talent to play puck possession hockey. I have never seen so many passes in the skates. It is tough to transition with speed when the puck drifts behind you or in your feet. This rag tag blueline is sloppy and unskilled. As a result they are trying to play conservative low risk hockey and just hang around. Unfortunately most nights they aren't very good at it and it is incredibly boring to watch. Overall I find the NHL to be less entertaining every year. Parity has reduced quality across the board and the Wings are just another casualty. I only expect it to get worse next year. How bout those Tigers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad