Making Oilers Podcast: Advice!

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Hey guys,

So I've decided I want to make an oilers podcast weekly that discuss the main events around the team. I am doing this podcast with 2 close friends who have followed the oilers for many many years. I want this show to have a sort of fan vibe feel to it, maybe have some rants, some dialogue, and some serious debates. Orginally I just wanted it to be for my friends, but since I'm on HFboards so much, I was going to ask what you guys would want to talk about in a oilers fanmade podcast. What would it take to get you to listen to these types of podcasts?

I am definitely going to be taking topics on here and talking about them in my podcast. As well, I am going to bring up certain articles written about the oilers and discuss them too.

Feedback would be cool, I am pretty passionate about hockey and oil country so I'm going to do my best to make this entertaining.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
-Game day previews/reviews
-your take on who played well/poor
-special teams thoughts
-who's playing well/poor in OKC
-which prospects are doing good/bad in junior

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Makes sure one friend is an optimist, one is a pessimist and the other totally neutral. If you have all back slappers or malcontents it will get stale.

:Mod Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think a good presentation and people who can talk clearly and keep things rolling along is of most importance.

I listen to many Fantasy Football podcasts and some are shockingly bad. ESPN is terrible (too much dumb sound effects and too many guests) while others are very good like CBS Sportsline (Good chemistry with on-air personalities/ Provides good info)

I grew tired of sports talk radio because they are mostly recycling the same guests formats and talking about the same topics over and over. I like OilersNow because its the most informative about the Oilers without being overkill on the guests.

I think an Oilers show/podcast where you would call it like it is without being contrarian for the sake of being different or over the top would be a good listen.

IMO, OilersNow is good but because its part of the Oilers machine you can tell that some things are simply left unsaid. TSN 1260 is more of a joke everyday except for Struds. Avoid cheesy stuff like that Linus Omark thing TSN did for way too long, dumb sound effects or reading obvious dumb trade proposals from fans. (Acton for Weber!).

If I were you, i'd aim to be in the middle of TSN and CHED.

I also thought an HFOil podcast with a bunch of users on here would be quite good. We could have board meltdowns in audio form :laugh:

It would probably sound like this...

Oct 15, 2008
Check out Luc Bordon on the Canucks board. He and his buddies did a few Podcasts a while back.

I'd rather be Rosie O'Donnell's bike seat.

As per the op's question. Dont take yourselves too seriously, and have fun!

Last edited:

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I am definitely going to listen to some "successful" podcasts. Another big reason why I'm doing this is because sometimes actual hockey talk radio does get bland, and they do cycle through the same guests and such. I want to add a little controversy and some fan passion, cus that's what gets people fired up.

edit: I also find there isn't enough oilers talk on the radio some days. People like Gregor never seem to discuss hockey as much as they should let alone the oilers.

But I'll keep y'all up to date.

Last edited:

Payne

Aug 27, 2005
I wonder how many cars Dave set on fire in the parking lot after storming out of the studio?

Nothing settles an argument quite like storming out of the room... particularily on live radio. Pretty hard to argue with that.

Oct 30, 2011
I would keep it to pre-game discussion and maybe have a general talk podcast once a week.

I think it gives you some flexibility. You can always record pre-game stuff a day in advance if you need to. And you also have some time to prepare a really good discussion for the weekly general talk podcast.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i would make it exactly like hfboards. pick a player regardless of what he does, make some preconceived notions about him and slag him for every little mistake he makes. even if every other player does the same things. Be a hypocrite and hyperbole everything.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
add a lady friend too. it helps. Not going to lie, I like the girl on Gregor's show, she's money. Meg Storms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad