Make your 2010 Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstu

May 6, 2004
WOW is all I can say.

Pierre Marc Bouchard = Most underrated player in the league.

Some of the peole that you guys have on the team over him WOW.

He is good, but can you name some of these guys he should be picked ahead of? And i'm not talking role players like Fisher.....name some skill guys you think he should be there ahead of.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
He is good, but can you name some of these guys he should be picked ahead of? And i'm not talking role players like Fisher.....name some skill guys you think he should be there ahead of.

but come 2010 i can guarentee you he will be one of the top playmakers in the league. Hes only 22 or 23 right now so he going to get alot better.

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
Obviously line combos are not final, and lines are not necessarily in order, but something like this...

Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron - Daniel Briere
Patrick Marleau - Joe Thornton - Eric Staal
Ryan Smyth - Jason Spezza - Dany Heatley
Vincent Lecavalier - Brad Richards - Jarome Iginla

Spare: Brendan Morrow

Scott Niedermayer - Dion Phaneuf
Jay Bouwmeester - Dan Hamhuis
Wade Redden - Brent Seabrook

Spare: Robyn Regehr

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury

Taxi Squad: Rick Nash, Simon Gagne, Brian Campbell

Depends on how many of the Cs on my roster are comfortable on the wings. Of course a guy like Sakic would be on the team if he is still playing decent hockey at the time.

Scharnhorst

Apr 10, 2006
Ok... let me take a crack at this

Heatley - Staal - Crosby
You could argue that we should put Spezza on this line, but then the defensive responsibility falls on Crosby, which is not what we want. With Staal at centre, we have a good, all-around centre who can pass and shoot to go along with Heaters tremendous shot and well... we all know about Crosby

Cheechoo - Thornton - Spezza
A little bit of a risk, but with the other two setting up Cheechoo, it could make for a very dangerous line.

Morrow - Marleau - Iginla
Defensive minded, with some offensive punch. A rough and tough line capable of grinding out a few goals.

Smyth - M. Richards - Fisher
Yes, I am including Fisher here, simply because he is incredibly good defensively, and is a terrific ball of energy. Richards and Smyth complete the energy line

Spare: Bergeron or Briere
Bergeron because he is simply well rounded and has chemistry with Crosby, or Briere if he continues to perform like he is now.

Defence
Neidermayer - Pronger
Hey, why not?

Phaneuf - Weber
I do like the idea of these two paired together...

Bouwmeester - Hamhuis
Finally recognized for his work on defence, Hamhuis gets paired with a defensemen who could use a solid defender beside him.

Spare
Redden or Phillips
Depending on how the young D-men continue to grow, we can either go for offense or defense.

Goalie
Brodeur
How could he not be number 1? Well, maybe if his play goes downhill really fast
Luongo
Hopefully he'll start playing better soon. He still is an excellent goaltender
MA Fleury
If he continues to improve, he may challenge for the starting position in 2010.

Taxi:
Briere, Redden, Gagne

Ok, so this is my idea of our 2010 team. Flame away... lol

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Ok... let me take a crack at this

Heatley - Staal - Crosby
You could argue that we should put Spezza on this line, but then the defensive responsibility falls on Crosby, which is not what we want. With Staal at centre, we have a good, all-around centre who can pass and shoot to go along with Heaters tremendous shot and well... we all know about Crosby

Cheechoo - Thornton - Spezza
A little bit of a risk, but with the other two setting up Cheechoo, it could make for a very dangerous line.

Morrow - Marleau - Iginla
Defensive minded, with some offensive punch. A rough and tough line capable of grinding out a few goals.

Smyth - M. Richards - Fisher
Yes, I am including Fisher here, simply because he is incredibly good defensively, and is a terrific ball of energy. Richards and Smyth complete the energy line

Spare: Bergeron or Briere
Bergeron because he is simply well rounded and has chemistry with Crosby, or Briere if he continues to perform like he is now.

Defence
Neidermayer - Pronger
Hey, why not?

Phaneuf - Weber
I do like the idea of these two paired together...

Bouwmeester - Hamhuis
Finally recognized for his work on defence, Hamhuis gets paired with a defensemen who could use a solid defender beside him.

Spare
Redden or Phillips
Depending on how the young D-men continue to grow, we can either go for offense or defense.

Goalie
Brodeur
How could he not be number 1? Well, maybe if his play goes downhill really fast
Luongo
Hopefully he'll start playing better soon. He still is an excellent goaltender
MA Fleury
If he continues to improve, he may challenge for the starting position in 2010.

Taxi:
Briere, Redden, Gagne

Ok, so this is my idea of our 2010 team. Flame away... lol

I do like this team, but I don't see what anyone sees in Marleau and Fisher, I think they're both good players, but have never really done anything to grant them a spot on the team. You leave out Lecavelier and Brad Richards for them, seems strange to me.

Scharnhorst

Apr 10, 2006
The main problem is that Richards and Lecavalier, while being excellent centres, are perceived as top 6 centres, and one wonders how they would perform in an energy or defennsive centre role. We all know that Fisher can take those roles, and are fairly confidant that Marleau can as well... Not to take anything away from the other two, but I think at least I have trouble putting them in those roles.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
The main problem is that Richards and Lecavalier, while being excellent centres, are perceived as top 6 centres, and one wonders how they would perform in an energy or defennsive centre role. We all know that Fisher can take those roles, and are fairly confidant that Marleau can as well... Not to take anything away from the other two, but I think at least I have trouble putting them in those roles.

Thats why I left Thornton and Marleau off my team, he's much like Datysuk and Turco, pulls the disapearing act in the playoffs, I'd rather have someone that has actually proved they can do what it takes.

Scharnhorst

Apr 10, 2006
Thats why I left Thornton and Marleau off my team, he's much like Datysuk and Turco, pulls the disapearing act in the playoffs, I'd rather have someone that has actually proved they can do what it takes.

Thats a fair enough point. We will have to see how this plays out, which is quite obvious. Perhaps Thornton will get it together by then. If he is still disappearing, then we will have a problem. It is just very hard to argue against one of the best offensive players in the league.

BruceOp

Dec 8, 2004
I'm glad that someone chose Nathan Horton. I was beginning to think that Keenan was off his rocker. In 2004, they were speculating about not only the 2006 games, but the 2010 games who would be on Canada. Keenan said that Horton would be a likely candidate by then. I wonder how many people actually think that he is a world class player for Canada. I remember when he was in Junior B, I had an argument that as good as he is, he is no Spezza, and someone told me off about it, saying that he's better. I don't get a chance to follow the Panthers much, but he seems to be doing alright. What about Burns for the Wild? Will he one day be a top D-Man?

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Crosby-Lecavalier-Iginla
Gagne-Spezza-Heatley
Smyth-Stall-B.Richards
Morrow-Marleau-Fisher
13th:Bergeron

Phaneuf-Neidermayer
Bouwmeester-Pronger
Redden-Regehr
7th:Hamhuis

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Forwards (almost 100% sure):

Sidney Crosby
Jarome Iginla
Eric Staal
Joe Thornton
Vincent Lecavalier
Brad Richards
Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza
Rick Nash

maybe;

John Tavares
Jordan Staal
Jeff Carter
Jonathan Toews
Joe Sakic
Logan Couture

Defense (w "maybe");

Jay Bouwmeester
Dion Phaneuf
Scott Niedermayer
Cam Barker
Brent Seabrook
Shea Weber
Wade Redden

Goalies;

Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Doesn't look good at all, Firstly Lecavalier over Thornton is an oversight, St. Louis is couldn't finish in the Olympics last time around and he'd probably weaken with age, Patrice Bergeron and Daniel Briere over Spezza? No bona-fide shut down player on defence or forward.

2/3 goalie names are spelt wrong, 2/7 defence names are spelt worng, and 2/13 forward names are spelt wrong.

Heatley - Spezza - Crosby
Crosby thrived at wing in the 2005WJC and he'll thrive at wing in the Olympics, Spezza is centering the line because of his very good speed (now), his excellent playmaking ability, and his face off ability, Heatley the trigger man.

Nash - Thornton - Iginla
Nash, Thornton, and Iginla are todays "phyiscal-forwards". Joe being a big strong playmaking center will compliment Iginla's ability to make space and score and Nash's to cause havoc in the crease/slot.

M. Richards - Staal - Fisher
2 suprise players that make the team Mike Richards who by this time should be the heart and soul of the Philadelphia Flyers would be counted on for his very effective two-way game as would Fisher who is a all-out player who can score in any situation and stop offence in the defensive zone. Eric Staal is strong, fast, and responsible defensivly. A true 2-way line.

Bernier - Marleau - Horton
Another physical forward line that is defensively responsible and can score big goals.

Lecavalier-
Physical center who can do almost everything and do it well.

Regehr - Bouwmeester
A hitter and a smooth skating defenseman, who can both change the flow of a game with one play.

Phaneuf - Phillips
Phaneuf by this time should have polished his defensive abilities coupled with his offensive ability and his hitting ability make him a force on the ice with the always steady and reliable Chris Phillips to back him when problems arise.

Redden - McLaren
Redden, a smart positional defenseman who prove this year he is willing to block shots and when healthy is a asset because of his first pass. Tough physical defenseman who is also reliable in his own zone.

Seabrook- a offensive defenseman who still mucks around.

M.A Fleury - A goalie with great technical skill and natural skill who has improved his rebound control coming into this season.

Ray Emery - Even though he gets burned on too many two-on-ones, Emery is a fighter and if the team need to go offensive because they're behind a goal Emery will man the net like the son of God.

J.S Giguere - Butterfly goalie can take up the whole net has yet to replicate his Conn Smythe winning playoff in 2003, is still a sound goalie who has shown this season that he can stay focussed when taking fewer shots.

someone is a sens fan (its ok, i am too)

a couple of things i would change

Heatley-Spezza-Crosby

-like this line alot, crosby should be just as effective from the wing, but the line must play with defensive defencemen

Nash-Thornton-Iginla

soo many things wrong with this its not funny. Nash is an inconsistant performer, and can only be included if he is hot around selection time. Thornton, also has been very inconsistent in clutch time (international play and the playoffs). Iginla hasn't come near his numbers from before the lockout, and is really playing a diminished game right now.

instead... try Lecavilier-Staal-StLouis
instant chemistry between the tampa boys (similar to spetz-heater) and a great power center. Lecalvier should adjust well to the wing (he does it all the time in tampa) and is solid defensively

note: from here on i think you are on crack

Morrow-Fisher-Smyth

now this is the shutdown line canada can throw out against the swedes and czechs. Fisher should easily win a selke trophy by 2010, and the other 2 are proven leaders and gritty players.

Marleau-Sakic-Perry

marleau is the soul of the sharks, sakic will be captain, and perry should be amazing by then. 'nuf said.

Alternate: Thornton or Nash, whoever is hot.

Defense

Phaneuf-Weber
Campbell-Regehr
Pronger-Redden
Bouwmeester-Seabrook
this is a punishing defense that can score and skate. Look for redden and pronger to run the powerplay, no matter who else gets selected. (Please stop whining about how redden sucks this season, everyone knows that)

Goalie
im really suprised that everyone keeps demanding cam ward. Until he can back up his cup with another great season (read gerbers 40 wins) you can write him off as a hot goalie at the right time.

Brodeur - vetran, gold medallist, if he is still playing (he will) he'll be backup
Luongo - should be starter, is still the best canadian goalie, even though the canucks suck.
Fleury - will be in the same role luongo was in in '06. He's the future.

i know there are probably a bunch of people i forgot, so feel free to change. I'll make one thing clear though, DONT TOUCH FISHER. he's the best senator every night, and the equivilent to a young mike peca who can score.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
And as far as Fischer goes,
Mike Fischer from Ottawa.
Fischer idea isn't crazy at all.

And i'm not talking role players like Fisher.....name some skill guys you think he should be there ahead of.

Finally... Someone spelt Fisher right!
You know he's flown under the radar when a solid amount of people on these boards can't even spell last years Selke nominee's name!

puck_08

Jul 21, 2005
Calgary
someone

Nash-Thornton-Iginla

soo many things wrong with this its not funny. Nash is an inconsistant performer, and can only be included if he is hot around selection time. Thornton, also has been very inconsistent in clutch time (international play and the playoffs). Iginla hasn't come near his numbers from before the lockout, and is really playing a diminished game right now.

instead... try Lecavilier-Staal-StLouis
instant chemistry between the tampa boys (similar to spetz-heater) and a great power center. Lecalvier should adjust well to the wing (he does it all the time in tampa) and is solid defensively

I disagree with the statements about Iginla,not sure what you mean by a diminished game considering he is on pace to score 100 points this season and normally starts out the season slowly.... and if you look at his numbers last season they aren't really much less than before the lockout...
YEAR - GP - PTS
99-00 - 77 - 63
00-01 - 77 - 71
01-02 - 82 - 96
02-03 - 75 - 67
03-04 - 81 - 73
lockout
05-06 - 82 - 67
06-07 - 27 - 33 (on pace for 82 - 100)

but I do agree with the Nash Thornton stuff, i would say try a line of:
Iginla - Staal - Lecavalier
This would be better since St.Louis will be 35, and might not be putting up the points as nicely as in the past..

just my thoughts..

espo*

Finally... Someone spelt Fisher right!
You know he's flown under the radar when a solid amount of people on these boards can't even spell last years Selke nominee's name!

Hey,there is a lot of names in the world!! can't get em all right.The main thing is i'd like to see him get some serious consideration for Team Canada right?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
someone is a sens fan (its ok, i am too)

Defense

Phaneuf-Weber
Campbell-Regehr
Pronger-Redden
Bouwmeester-Seabrook
this is a punishing defense that can score and skate. Look for redden and pronger to run the powerplay, no matter who else gets selected. (Please stop whining about how redden sucks this season, everyone knows that)

i know there are probably a bunch of people i forgot, so feel free to change. I'll make one thing clear though, DONT TOUCH FISHER. he's the best senator every night, and the equivilent to a young mike peca who can score.

Redden sucks every season, like he sucks everytime he plays for Canada because its against the best, and Redden can't handle pressure or other players playing at a higher level, which is why he always chokes, and will continue to do so.

Fisher hasn't proven anything yet, year after year we hear about how great he is, yet he's like Redden, never has done anything to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad