Proposal: Make Girgensons the Captain this Season

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I want Myers as Captain - He's seen the highs and lows of a career very early on. He can be a mentor to all the young guys that will be in the locker room for the next 5 seasons or so. I think his game is going to continue to rise, but in general I think he's a great fit for captain (for what we have).

Girgensons - Assistant captain - I wouldn't mind him as captain tbh, but I'd rather him focus a lot more on developing his game.

I think with all the young players in and coming into the system, you have to let a leader emerge organically. I think Girgensons is way too immature at this point to be the team's captain, but if he rises to the top, so be it, and I think the team will end up better off for it happening that way.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
After the TDL give him an "A" if he's earned it and someone already wearing one of the letters get traded.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
No need to force it this coming season.

IMO it will find it's way to his jersey in due time. And when that comes, I will be thrilled.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think this is a few years too soon.

But, I wouldn't get too upset if it happens. He should be a big piece of the leadership core moving forward.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Why not? I don't think the Avs are regretting not saving the C for MacKinnon.

Landeskog went 82-22-32-52 in his rookie year, and was named the captain the following offseason. While Girgensons doesn't have those totals, he also happened to play on the most inept offensive team since the 1930s. And he did get the A for the last game, so we know that he at least has Nolan's stamp of approval in terms of leadership.

Also, I'm not going to be surprised one bit if Girgensons doesn't smash the ceilings some think he has. He's done nothing but exceed expectations these past two years. And even if he tops out around 60 points, Dustin Brown was a Cup winning captain with a career high of...60 points.

Sorry I like him as a player...he gives his all...but he is not going to put up 60 pts. Not saying that is a bad thing...but don't expect that from him...That isn't what is going to make him a star here.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Definitely not this year. I think it would be forced. I'm all for waiting until we crawl out of the basement before awarding the C to someone, it would show that whoever our leader is actually led us somewhere.

And whether Girgensons puts up points will be one thing we consider when the decision. Not the only thing, but certainly relevant.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
IMO, not having the "C" on his chest won't stop him from becoming a leader. I'll give it 3-4 years before he takes the reins of the room. He has shown to have that "leader" factor in his game.

I don't think his full leadership potential is there just yet. Whether or not the letter is put on his chest should not matter. Let his off ice and on ice actions determine what kind of leader he is.

To answer the question from OP, I think 2-3 years he will be given the "C".

IMO, when we become consistent contenders, I think you will see letters on any of the 5 guys:
Girgensens
Myers
Pysyk
Bennett/Reinhart
McDavid/Eichel

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No need to name him now... let the leadership among this new and growing young core develop organically.

If you name Girgensons now, you can't change it in a few years... what if Sam Reinhart is drafted and emerges as the leader in the lockerroom in time? What if Foligno finds his heart, and becomes that guy? Maybe Jake McCabe or gasp Tyler Myers? dare I suggest Cody Hodgson?

The point is, there is no rush... I've NEVER been a fan of a rotating Captaincy, so I would prefer (as I did last year), a 2-3 year stop gap captaincy that can lead by example through the tough years, while the youngsters develop without the pressure of a letter.

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
Too young to put that kind of responsibility on him. Give it to Stafford and let's get the rebuild's draftees into the system before we give Girgs a letter.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why not? I don't think the Avs are regretting not saving the C for MacKinnon.

Landeskog went 82-22-32-52 in his rookie year, and was named the captain the following offseason. While Girgensons doesn't have those totals, he also happened to play on the most inept offensive team since the 1930s. And he did get the A for the last game, so we know that he at least has Nolan's stamp of approval in terms of leadership.

Also, I'm not going to be surprised one bit if Girgensons doesn't smash the ceilings some think he has. He's done nothing but exceed expectations these past two years. And even if he tops out around 60 points, Dustin Brown was a Cup winning captain with a career high of...60 points.

Stop with the Girgs/Landeskog comparisons. I love Girgs, and though I think he's going to have a good career, he's not an elite forward in this league like Landeskog is and has been since the day he walked into the NHL. They're on different levels.

The question proposed is whether we should make Z captain this season. My response was simply to wait and see who we get in the next two drafts. Let these guys grow a bit and have the captain emerge. If we got McDavid, my feeling is that it should be him.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
No need to rush it. Use alternate caps until we see who grows into the role of captain. Obviously theres a trend of superstars beings captains nowadays, but I would much rather put it on someone who busts ass every single shift and boosts the locker room than someone who just puts up points. I think Girgs has as good of a shot as anyone at the C, but let him take it, don't just give it away.

Stop with the Girgs/Landeskog comparisons. I love Girgs, and though I think he's going to have a good career, he's not an elite forward in this league like Landeskog is and has been since the day he walked into the NHL. They're on different levels.

I think he has a pretty decent chance to be as good as Landy. Landy had much better talent around him in O'Rielly, Staz, and Duchene when he joined the league than Girgs did this year. Girgs played with Hodgson for what, 2 or 3 games? He's definitely got offensive talent, he just needs other talent around him to help bring it out.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think he has a pretty decent chance to be as good as Landy. Landy had much better talent around him in O'Rielly, Staz, and Duchene when he joined the league than Girgs did this year. Girgs played with Hodgson for what, 2 or 3 games? He's definitely got offensive talent, he just needs other talent around him to help bring it out.

:laugh:

no.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Girgensons can obviously improve his offensive totals, but you're talking about a player in Landeskog who's only 1 year older and puts up three times as many points.

It's really rose colored glasses to be seeing them in the same ballpark. I think seeing him become Michael Peca would be all we could ask for - a 45 point, two way, hard working leader.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY

Thanks for your contribution. For someone that speaks so much about the effects of talent on talent, you can't see Girgensons being that effective? They're different players in completely different situations, so theres no way to really know right now, but its not the ridiculous statement that you make it out to be.

nate1988

Apr 4, 2013
Denver, CO
Thanks for your contribution. For someone that speaks so much about the effects of talent on talent, you can't see Girgensons being that effective? They're different players in completely different situations, so theres no way to really know right now, but its not the ridiculous statement that you make it out to be.

As a sabres fan living in Denver and catching all the avs games, no, Girgs isn't going to become Landy.. and that's not a bad thing.. but Landy is a stud and was drafted 2 overall for a reason. Girgs will become a very effective player in the nhl, and I'm rooting for that.. but expecting him to become Landeskog is just ludicrous

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Girgensons get's madly overrated around here.
He's going to be a 20-20 guy that you can plug and play on every line.
A heart and soul guy, but won't be elite.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
As a sabres fan living in Denver and catching all the avs games, no, Girgs isn't going to become Landy.. and that's not a bad thing.. but Landy is a stud and was drafted 2 overall for a reason. Girgs will become a very effective player in the nhl, and I'm rooting for that.. but expecting him to become Landeskog is just ludicrous

I'm certainly not expecting him to become Gabe, but I think saying he doesn't have a chance to get close to that level is selling him short. He has surpassed expectations since we drafted him, and I just think its too soon to put a ceiling on how effective we think he can be.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
:biglaugh: that's rich

Grigorenko has a better chance of being like "gabe" or "landy" than Girgensons. And Grigorenko has about 1% chance of being like Landeskog. Or should I say "close to that level". Thanks for the comic relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad