Make a TDL trade and reactivate Stone soon

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Well to be fair to them, Nosek & Janmark both tested the market, & Janmark was the one that came back.

Any big pay increase for Howden is a negative, considering how close to the cap they'll be next year.

I don't think Smith's injury would have hurt his value much.

I'm very happy with how the last few drafts have turned out and wouldn't change a thing about scouting.

Maybe Holden switched a letter and he never left? :sarcasm:
But yeah Howden for Reav-O

What were they supposed to do, give a good prospect like Thompson a shot at backup?
Howden has been good but not good enough for a big raise. He's on pace for 12 goals, 27 points which would be career highs. I can't see him getting more than 1.4 on a two year bridge deal. Maybe closer to Patrick's 1.2. They can swing that.

Kolesar will push for more because he has 21 points as it stands right now but they should stick to below 1 million or get a cheap, physical fourth line veteran and let him walk. Hague hasn't shown enough to warrant even 2mil so that's 1-something and Roy would be less than Stephenson on his current pace, which I don't see improving with a banged up lineup the rest of the season.

All four should be able to get signed around 6.7 million total.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
How many were they supposed to find? Most draft picks don't even get a contract for 2-3 years so being an every day NHLer is basically achievable for the first two, maybe three drafts unless you are a top 10 pick. Out of those drafts they got four guys who are regulars now (Suzuki, Hague, Brannstrom,Krebs). Three other guys are getting games now because of injuries, probably 1 or 2 will stick around as a depth regular next year. And they signed Whitecloud too as UDFA. That's pretty solid for a team that had zero pipeline. Basically Glass is the only miss but Brisson looks promising and might make up for him.

Brannstrom has had a longer road and still is nothing special so far and remains to be seen even after five years, Hague still has many issues and we still don't know what we have with him five years in and Glass has been a bust. Suzuki is a star.

Krebs looks good but Krebs has a total of 15 points so far, his play is promising but he's still very much an unknown of just how good the pick will end up. You expect high picks to hit to some degree of NHLer half the time.

They have done pretty well as a scouting staff but saying they have greatly overachieved is more credit than warranted at this moment. They've done maybe a little above what you expect or what's expected with four top 34 picks (6, 12, 15, 34) and a 17th pick from those first three drafts. Haven't hit beyond the 34th pick to this point.

None of the guys we've used this season look like they should be in the NHL from what they've shown. We've made mid-season signings and waiver pickups who we put in the lineup before them.

Brisson looks very promising, but Dugan and Elvenes did also. Dorofeyev may be another one in the future if given more time. Maybe Dugan can turn it around, I'm still holding out. Cormier could be their first later pick hit.

I hope they prove to be amazing but at this point I don't think we can say that yet.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Howden has been good but not good enough for a big raise. He's on pace for 12 goals, 27 points which would be career highs. I can't see him getting more than 1.4 on a two year bridge deal. Maybe closer to Patrick's 1.2. They can swing that.

Kolesar will push for more because he has 21 points as it stands right now but they should stick to below 1 million or get a cheap, physical fourth line veteran and let him walk. Hague hasn't shown enough to warrant even 2mil so that's 1-something and Roy would be less than Stephenson on his current pace, which I don't see improving with a banged up lineup the rest of the season.

If the floor doesn't go up by 1M, their cap will so that tight that 1.4M might make a huge difference. Unless they clear enough cap, they'll need to take advantage of the fact that Miromanov & Dorofeyev don't have to pass through waivers and hope guys like Cotter, Rondberg & Leschyshyn don't get claimed off waivers.

Offensive dmen like Bean that barely put up points make more than 2M on their 2nd contract, so unfortunately Hague will be asking for more than that. Dermott, in his contract year, coming off a bad leg injury and playing 5 minutes a night less than Hague - still got 1.5M.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If the floor doesn't go up by 1M, their cap will so that tight that 1.4M might make a huge difference. Unless they clear enough cap, they'll need to take advantage of the fact that Miromanov & Dorofeyev don't have to pass through waivers and hope guys like Cotter, Rondberg & Leschyshyn don't get claimed off waivers.

Offensive dmen like Bean that barely put up points make more than 2M on their 2nd contract, so unfortunately Hague will be asking for more than that. Dermott, in his contract year, coming off a bad leg injury and playing 5 minutes a night less than Hague - still got 1.5M.
All three if those are gone if waivered.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

The cap is still projected to go up by 1M as of today

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I think the cap will go up by a million. I don't know if many teams will care about Rondbjerg, Leschyshyn and Cotter. Just about every team has their versions of those guys.

Even if we say bigger numbers it's still reasonable.

Howden at 1.4 (unsure after his injury but we'll see and hope he comes back fully healthy)
Kolesar at 900k
Hague at 2
Roy at 2.55

That's comes to 6.85. Brossoit and Dadonov trades should do it. A Dadonov buyout complicates it but it should still barely be enough with 21 on the roster.

I don't mean this to say this strategy should be their end goal but I am more concerned that they shouldn't feel forced into giving up a 2nd to get rid of Dadonov's full cap hit if they have options in the summer. Especially not while taking on a 2.75 million cap hit also.

Dadonov is proving he's got value, a team could retain half and get a 2nd for him, if they get a 3rd or 3rd and B-prospect from us that's good value for holding 2.5 for one season. Didn't the Islanders recently pay two 2nds to get rid of like 5 million for two years?

Pacioretty also has value and they should get something if they decide to trade him. I just don't like the narrative we'll have to give up anything big to get under the cap. Teams are over or right at the cap every summer and make trades to get some space when needed.

We should be able to trade Brossoit and Dadonov and get some value in any other trades.

Last edited:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I think the cap will go up by a million. I don't know if many teams will care about Rondbjerg, Leschyshyn and Cotter. Just about every team has their versions of those guys.

Even if we say bigger numbers it's still reasonable.

Howden at 1.4 (unsure after his injury but we'll see and hope he comes back fully healthy)
Kolesar at 900k
Hague at 2
Roy at 2.55

That's comes to 6.85. Brossoit and Dadonov trades should do it. A Dadonov buyout complicates it but it should still barely be enough with 21 on the roster.

I don't mean this to say this strategy should be their end goal but I am more concerned that they shouldn't feel forced into giving up a 2nd to get rid of Dadonov's full cap hit if they have options in the summer. Especially not while taking on a 2.75 million cap hit also.

Dadonov is proving he's got value, a team could retain half and get a 2nd for him, if they get a 3rd or 3rd and B-prospect from us that's good value for holding 2.5 for one season. Didn't the Islanders recently pay two 2nds to get rid of like 5 million for two years?

Pacioretty also has value and they should get something if they decide to trade him. I just don't like the narrative we'll have to give up anything big to get under the cap. Teams are over or right at the cap every summer and make trades to get some space when needed.

We should be able to trade Brossoit and Dadonov and get some value in any other trades.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Only redeeming feature for Koleslaw is he's cheap. If we can't resign Smith I'd rather trade Pacioretty and keep Dadanov, who currently is playing to his contract.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think Patches definitely should get dealt and his contract isn't that bad since it's a year left. So identical to MAF contract wise, just a question of who bites when they haven't seem him healthy in a long time. Feels like you don't have to attach much, more just can't expect anything back.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Only redeeming feature for Koleslaw is he's cheap. If we can't resign Smith I'd rather trade Pacioretty and keep Dadanov, who currently is playing to his contract.
I'm open to a multitude of roster ideas next season, I'm just saying they aren't in such a desperate situation they should be giving up 2nd round picks for nothing.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Anyone here know when/if Martinez will be back? He's a FA in my fantasy league and I'm not sure if he's worth the add.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Anyone here know when/if Martinez will be back? He's a FA in my fantasy league and I'm not sure if he's worth the add.
I'd have to think the entire purpose of Smith going on LTIR was to bring Martinez back. I wouldn't risk it for fantasy though. No telling what he'll look like or how many games he may even be able to get through.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'd have to think the entire purpose of Smith going on LTIR was to bring Martinez back. I wouldn't risk it for fantasy though. No telling what he'll look like or how many games he may even be able to get through.

They must be getting close to getting LTIR from Lehner's injury. That would temporarily give them enough reserve to allow both Martinez & Stone to 'stop faking', right?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
They must be getting close to getting LTIR from Lehner's injury. That would temporarily give them enough reserve to allow both Martinez & Stone to 'stop faking', right?

If they're to believed Lehner is coming back soon so that wouldn't do any good.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
So did Patches take one for the team & jump out a 5th story window to keep his good buddy Evgenii from being dealt again?

Patches re-injured himself during the morning skate Thursday, but he's not on LTIR anyways, Smith is. Nothing else needs to happen unless Stone is able to come back. At that point they would need about 8m in space.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Patches re-injured himself during the morning skate Thursday, but he's not on LTIR anyways, Smith is. Nothing else needs to happen unless Stone is able to come back. At that point they would need about 8m in space.

I know Patches isn't on LTIR (yet) but what was the cap space from the Dadonov trade for?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad