Votes: 110 67.5%
  • Hughes

Votes: 53 32.5%

• Total voters

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hughes is having a stellar season, but Makar has already proven more in a shorter time

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Makar having the worst season of his career and still neck and neck with Hughes who is having the best of his career.

That was also probably the absolute pinnacle of Hughes' career. Flash in the pan season for him and his team.

It's only neck and neck in points because Makar has the second best player in the world on his team.

In terms of defensive stats and possession metrics it's not even close. Hughes is having a season more statistically dominant than Makar did in 21-22 while Makar's stats are as bad as Hughes' worst year in the league.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Hughes has coughed up the puck more though. As far as who has held on to the the puck longer, I don't know, I'd need stats for that which I can't seem to find.

A bit dated now, but here's one from January. Of course Hughes will cough the puck up more, he's holding the puck way more, giveaways, takeaways, hits, blocked shots, etc. aren't as helplful as they'd seem. Guys with lots of blocked shots are usually getting caved in when it comes to possession.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
why does no one consider that Makar is a whole year older and has played with better players his whole career, if given a solid d partner im not betting against Hughes.

Reactions: thefutures

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Pretty much even at this point. Their rookie seasons were close, then Makar pulled way ahead, but they've crossed paths again with Hughes far ahead this season. However it could swing back the other way so I'm going even.

Makar's Conne Smyth is an awesome achievement but keep in mind Hughes hadn't even played on a decent team other than the bubble run (17p in 16 games I might add).

Hopefully next year we see them both at the top of their form and health and see what happens.

why is there like 3 makar vs hughes thread every year.
The 2 best defensemen in the league who came in at the same time.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Near even, agree with most takes here. Probably lean Makar but since he's had serious regression and injury problems every year since his peak in 2022 while Quinn has only improved every year... trajectories suggest Hughes is the safer pick. If we assume perfect health for both (which only helps Makar) then Makar is the likely answer. We will know next year probably.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Makar having the worst season of his career and still neck and neck with Hughes who is having the best of his career.

That was also probably the absolute pinnacle of Hughes' career. Flash in the pan season for him and his team.
Nobody that watches thinks Makar is neck and neck this year. He wouldn’t be in my top 3 for Norris this year.

That said, I voted Makar for track record and higher peak.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think Makar rest of career is the better choice. Hughes has been better this season and had the better injury track record but it’s not enough to sway it for me. To me Makar is the best defenceman in the world while Hughes has had the best 23/24 season of any defenceman.
This is how I see it as well but as a Canucks fan I'm extremely pleased to see what kind of franchise Dman Hughes has become and IMO he is the best of the 3 Hughes brothers.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Because they are the 2 most comparable Defense men in the league. The only Dman you can compare to Makar is Hughes. And the only Dman you can compare to Hughes is Makar. They will battle this out for the rest of their careers.
Pretty much even at this point. Their rookie seasons were close, then Makar pulled way ahead, but they've crossed paths again with Hughes far ahead this season. However it could swing back the other way so I'm going even.

Makar's Conne Smyth is an awesome achievement but keep in mind Hughes hadn't even played on a decent team other than the bubble run (17p in 16 games I might add).

Hopefully next year we see them both at the top of their form and health and see what happens.

The 2 best defensemen in the league who came in at the same time.

makar - hobey baker, calder, conn smythe, norris (1 win, 3 nominations)
hughes - no awards, calder nomination.

they aren't comparable yet. at the very least wait until the season unfolds. probably have to give it another 2 or 3 seasons.

the best comparable to makar to date is adam fox.

fox - norris (1 win, 2 nominations)

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyWooot

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

they aren't comparable yet. at the very least wait until the season unfolds. probably have to give it another 2 or 3 seasons.

Agreed. The gap will narrow after this year when Hughes gets his Norris but there’s still a gap in terms of awards and nominations.
I don’t put a ton of weight on the Calder or Hobey Baker but the Norris nominations and the Conn Smythe are impressive imo.

Last edited:

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

Ah yes. Forgot what fanbase I was talking to. Only comparable player to Makar is Bobby Orr.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Aside from injury concerns I don´t see how this is clearly not Makar.

3 straight Norris nominations in 4 NHL seasons, probably 4th after the season is done
Norris
Smythe
Cup
Calder

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I think hudges. Do soneone know how many of makars ES points over the past two yeare is tied to mackinnon?
Who cares!Do you discredit Paul Coffeys accomplishments because he played with Gretzky? Watch a hockey game, Makar helps Mackinnon as much as Mackinnon helps Makar.

Last edited:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Who cares!Do you discredit Paul Coffeys accomplishments because he played with Gretzky? Watch a hockey game, Makar helps Mackinnon as much as Mackinnon helps Makar.

Then why do Makars stats suck when MacKinnon isn't on the ice, and why does MacKinnons' possession stats get worse when Makar is on the ice

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think he does. You can change mackinnon to whatever centre sharks is rolling with these days i do not predict his point totals will look as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad