Confirmed with Link: Major Sporting Announcement Tomorrow - NY Riptide relocating to Ottawa NLL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So...Ottawa Black Bears. Not a bad name. Decent logo, too.

So, what level is NLL? Is that about the top lacrosse league around, or a feeder league, or what?

From my understanding it's the top pro indoor league, but that there's also an outdoor league. Not a sport I pay attention too, but I wonder if it's the sort of thing where the seasons don't overlap and can be played year round sort of like when CFL players played in the XFL back when McMahon had it for that one season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I worry about this tbh,

The arrangement isn't a sale, rather they are partnering with the current owners, apparently it's a five year deal. They were saying on the radio they are aiming for 8-9K a game at the CTC, but the season overlaps with the Sens, the Ottawa PWHL team, the 67s, and the gatineau Olympic, not to mention Carlton U and Ottawa U. That's a lot of competition for peoples disposable income.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I worry about this tbh,

The arrangement isn't a sale, rather they are partnering with the current owners, apparently it's a five year deal. They were saying on the radio they are aiming for 8-9K a game at the CTC, but the season overlaps with the Sens, the Ottawa PWHL team, the 67s, and the gatineau Olympic, not to mention Carlton U and Ottawa U. That's a lot of competition for peoples disposable income.

They're a major league team in a fringe (national) sport. That's a level of competition above everyone in the market other than the Sens.

The Olympiques I doubt draw much from this side of the river now that they've moved into old Gatineau.

University basketball doesn't draw much unless it's a big game off of campus.

They appear to be closing off the 300 level for the games and prices are pretty affordable. The CTC is also rather easy to get in and out of if there's only 6k there.

I suspect the Sens are giving them a sweetheart deal, like getting paid by the concessions and parking, to increase the number of events in the building.

I agree its a hard sell but they could catch lightning in a bottle and become the next Lynx in the market.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
was low key hoping Andluer was moving the Bsens to Gatineau. Would have been hilarious if he moved two hockey clubs out of there.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They don't own the team, so they fill building dates without having to bear the losses.

Those empty dates are a sunk cost. They already pay all the fixed costs related to the building regardless of where those dates are filled. It's not as if the variable costs per event are that grizzly.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I can't see how it makes financial sense to use CTC for their games.
My guess is they're hedging their bet on getting in at the ground floor wherever the new arena goes up. Suffer through a few years in Kanata, then hopefully follow the Sens to Lebreton.

Might even help the Sens negotiating position if they can cast the new arena as a multi-sport, multi-team venue. More booked dates means more people means more business for the area.
It's not as if the variable costs per event are that grizzly.
Not Grizzly, no. The team is called the Black Bears :)

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
My guess is they're hedging their bet on getting in at the ground floor wherever the new arena goes up. Suffer through a few years in Kanata, then hopefully follow the Sens to Lebreton.

Might even help the Sens negotiating position if they can cast the new arena as a multi-sport, multi-team venue. More booked dates means more people means more business for the area.

Not Grizzly, no. The team is called the Black Bears :)

Maybe it is the opposite. With the Senators leaving Kanata, there might be a market for a substitute product that can offer a family oriented major league product at a fraction of the cost of going downtown to see the Senators?

If for whatever reason the Senators do not want to demolish the CTC right away and would rather hold on to the property, they will need tenants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad