Major announcement tomorrow in Utica

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I bet it is about the 2015 AHL All-Star Game. Hopefully they got a better European team to play against them. It was really one-sided last year. Farjestad is horrible, they are 2nd last in SHL right now. If they got Skellefteå, that would be so awesome. If they can get a team just as good as the All-Stars it could make it more interesting than East vs. West.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
New affiliation with the Rangers.

Rangers might be Albany bound after this season. A little early to discuss this given this season is not underway yet but keep an eye out as discussion start to heat up for both clubs. Keep an eye out on the political side of things as well, that will come into play. Might be the only thing that keeps Albany in the AHL, lots of Ranger fans in that area. The last pre season game in Albany few years back on a Wed night with tickets in the $50 to $75 dollar range brought in over 9000 fans for what amounted to be a glorified AHL game. The game ironically was a home game for the Rangers despite being played in the Devils farm team arena. This would atleast lock in Utica, Albany, Syracuse, Bingo, Providence, and Rochester in the northeast and New England. Glens Falls right now is a mess and they have to straighten out the arena sale deal. Rangers could possibly hit Glens Falls to but not sure if they want the headache of buying the arena, taxes on that building are going to be cost prohibitive.

Last edited:

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
The AHL is probably doing this so when they announce after the season that the AHL is leaving Utica.

Now with the ECHL taking in all of the CHL teams, the shift should start and we will see the new AHL Western Division come into play within the next two seasons.

Manchester will get a new NHL affiliate one the Kings move to Ontario.
Vancouver, Calgary & Winnipeg probably will join the west movement and be looking for cities out West. Contracts? They are made to be broken.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The AHL is probably doing this so when they announce after the season that the AHL is leaving Utica.

Now with the ECHL taking in all of the CHL teams, the shift should start and we will see the new AHL Western Division come into play within the next two seasons.

Vancouver, Calgary & Winnipeg probably will join the west movement and be looking for cities out West. Contracts? They are made to be broken.
It had nothing to do with the western movement. A city ran into a scheduling conflict and had to back out. Canucks are committed for two more seasons. The devils have inquired about returning to Utica when the canucks leave. I'll be surprised of the western movement ever happens. Only two teams are in a position to move. The ducks, avalanche,coyotes all do not own a ahl team. No ahl teams are for sale or have been sold. And the ahl has stated that they must have enough teams to form their own division.

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
Can we have one thread in the AHL or minor league section that doesn't turn into a "the AHL is moving west thread". We already have several of them if you have any legitimately new info that's backed up by facts feel free to post on that subject feel free to post it there thank you.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
It had nothing to do with the western movement. A city ran into a scheduling conflict and had to back out. Canucks are committed for two more seasons. The devils have inquired about returning to Utica when the canucks leave. I'll be surprised of the western movement ever happens. Only two teams are in a position to move. The ducks, avalanche,coyotes all do not own a ahl team. No ahl teams are for sale or have been sold. And the ahl has stated that they must have enough teams to form their own division.

If the Rangers somehow land in Albany after this season I still would not rule out the return of the Devils in Trenton. I know the Trenton thing did not go well before but with its proximity to Lehigh Valley, and Hershey, there would be enough fan support to maybe give it a good run.

Utica and the Devils hmmm thats a tough one. Utica didnt have all that great support of the Devils back in the day. I know the Utica-Rome area is a good little hockey market, classic hockey town but the Devils. Utica right now is buying into the fact the AHL has returned but truly the novelty is relatively new and with the news the business community is throwing its support in getting the All-Star game is bolstering the excitement. The Devils have really cursed Lowell, and not to mention beat down the fans in Albany. The Devils had failed to produce a playoff qualifying team in Albany in over a decade, think of that! Last year was the first time Albany was in the playoffs with the Devils in over a decade. The Devils organization has clearly stated winning at the AHL level is not their priority. I guess the Devils AHL team is better then no AHL team though, but then again I would rather have a strong ECHL power team then a bottom feeding AHL club IMO.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

Brilliant.

Yep, the sickly run ECHL will gladly move into Utica, Manchester, Worcester, Norfolk, Glens falls or whatever eastern city when the Great Western Movement starts. Perhaps they are looking to return to Johnstown as well.

If the Rangers somehow land in Albany after this season I still would not rule out the return of the Devils in Trenton. I know the Trenton thing did not go well before but with its proximity to Lehigh Valley, and Hershey, there would be enough fan support to maybe give it a good run.

Utica and the Devils hmmm thats a tough one. Utica didnt have all that great support of the Devils back in the day. I know the Utica-Rome area is a good little hockey market, classic hockey town but the Devils. Utica right now is buying into the fact the AHL has returned but truly the novelty is relatively new and with the news the business community is throwing its support in getting the All-Star game is bolstering the excitement. The Devils have really cursed Lowell, and not to mention beat down the fans in Albany. The Devils had failed to produce a playoff qualifying team in Albany in over a decade, think of that! Last year was the first time Albany was in the playoffs with the Devils in over a decade. The Devils organization has clearly stated winning at the AHL level is not their priority. I guess the Devils AHL team is better then no AHL team though, but then again I would rather have a strong ECHL power team then a bottom feeding AHL club IMO.

I would rather have a FHL team rather than any ECHL team.

Last edited by a moderator:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Can we have one thread in the AHL or minor league section that doesn't turn into a "the AHL is moving west thread". We already have several of them if you have any legitimately new info that's backed up by facts feel free to post on that subject feel free to post it there thank you.

Amen, brother!

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It is a good choice. At last, something that Admirals and Wolves fans can agree on!

No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no.....not true we agree on other things. For example I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Wolves and Ads fan who didn't agree that Rockford really freakin' sucks.:yo:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Brilliant.

Yep, the sickly run ECHL will gladly move into Utica, Manchester, Worcester, Norfolk, Glens falls or whatever eastern city when the Great Western Movement starts. Perhaps they are looking to return to Johnstown as well.

I would rather have a FHL team rather than any ECHL team.

Ummmm did we miss something, the ECHL moved from Jamestown because the product was bad or maybe the economy in Jamestown just totally tanked and couldnt support the cost of running an ECHL team?? Lack of fan support, tiny old arena (like Utica), lack of business support, worn down fanbase possibly? Actually the ECHL outgrew Jamestown, look at the cities and arenas of the ECHL.

Wait a minute lol, if the FHL is more attractive then why didnt the Rome team last longer or secure a lease with Utica's Memorial Auditorium? An FHL team over an ECHL team, really???? The ECHL is ran and managed light years ahead of the former Colonial Hockey League and subsequent United Hockey League which called that area home. Look at the big markets in the ECHL. Cincinnati Cyclones, Suburban Atlanta, Orlando Florida, Indianapolis Fuel, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, etc. I mean come on, the ECHL is having this season's All Star game in Orlando Florida, and in a major league building. Utica right now is very fortunate that the business community is really stepping up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad