Maine Mariners Officially Affiliated with the Bruins

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
It would be lofical, The Celtics are alresady affiliated with a team from Portland in the NBA G-League
Maybe the P-Bruins brass is afraid of Manchester like Worcester.
I checked their schedule. There aren't any AHL Pirates throwback nights. He'll spend another season watching 2006 Portland Pirates highlights on YouTube.
What mark is saying is obviously fake news because spectra something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Reached out to the Mariners to find out more information because obviously there is a buzz going on here. If the Mariners were to get the Bruins affiliation they would have all three major Boston affiliates (Red Sox – Sea Dogs (AA), Celtics – Maine Celtics (G League) and now Bruins – Mariners (ECHL)). It would be great for marketing within the city because its diehard Boston sports. All sports talk radio is about Boston sports and the local paper (Press Herald) basically covers Boston sports and high school sports.

The Mariners response was rather cryptic, but it seems like it’s a done deal.

“We haven’t reached a final agreement about our future affiliation, but we expect to update our fans on the Mariners’ exciting future in the coming weeks.” ~ VP of Business Operations Adam Goldberg

That seems like a done deal for me.

So.... I have many questions?

1. What happen to Manchester? From everything I’ve understood, Manchester finally settled its lawsuit with Brian Cheek which allowed a new ownership group to move into Manchester. The rumor, conjecture – whatever you want to call it – was Manchester would get a deal with the Bruins and part of the deal was Delaware North getting pouring rights to SNHU Arena. COVID-19 struck and that set that deal back, but apparently its back on as the last I heard as the earliest a team would move to Manchester was 2022-23. Where do they stand as of today?

2. Is this a partial affiliation or a full-time affiliation? The Mariners full-time affiliate as of now is the New York Rangers, but they had a partial affiliate with Montreal. With Montreal leaving for T-R is Boston replacing Montreal or is Boston going to a new affiliate for the Mariners and the Rangers look elsewhere, namely do they move to Binghamton for the 22-23 season.

Boston’s deal with Atlanta ended after the 2019-20 season. They planned to renew last year, but didn’t because Atlanta decided to opt out of the season along with the Mariners and other teams so Boston is pretty free to go wherever.
Way too many unanswered questions....

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
2. Is this a partial affiliation or a full-time affiliation? The Mariners full-time affiliate as of now is the New York Rangers, but they had a partial affiliate with Montreal. With Montreal leaving for T-R is Boston replacing Montreal or is Boston going to a new affiliate for the Mariners and the Rangers look elsewhere, namely do they move to Binghamton for the 22-23 season.

I thought the ECHL changed the rules a few years ago. My understanding was that each ECHL team can only have one affiliation. They can have a "working agreement" with other teams, where a second (or third, etc) team would assign players there on a case by case basis, but not a second affiliation. The difference can seem meaningless from the outside, since the end result is players being assigned from two (or more) AHL teams, but internally it is a different arrangement. Could be a team would refer to a working agreement as a "secondary affiliation" when speaking to fans or reporters, just because it requires less explanation, or maybe the league changed the rule back, and does allow dual affiliations.

In either case the Bruins have never assigned very many players to the ECHL. If the Mariners get the affiliation for the marketing advantage, they would be wise to keep the Rangers also so they get more than just 1-2 players.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It would be lofical, The Celtics are alresady affiliated with a team from Portland in the NBA G-League
the difference there is THE Celtics don't own the building nor manage the building that is owned by the city since it's a local landmark, Martin....

the franchise leases the Expo from August 15th on, otherwise the city owns and operates the Expo.... they tried playing at Cross which does not meet that specification due to date availability.

all the Celtics do is own the franchise, just as you see the trend in the AHL where 2/3rd OF THE LEAGUE is under one banner or ownership.

same with Worcester as well.... the city leases both Polar Park and DCU Center, it doesn't preclude other events from happening there, like the Mass Pirates

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I thought the ECHL changed the rules a few years ago. My understanding was that each ECHL team can only have one affiliation. They can have a "working agreement" with other teams, where a second (or third, etc) team would assign players there on a case by case basis, but not a second affiliation. The difference can seem meaningless from the outside, since the end result is players being assigned from two (or more) AHL teams, but internally it is a different arrangement. Could be a team would refer to a working agreement as a "secondary affiliation" when speaking to fans or reporters, just because it requires less explanation, or maybe the league changed the rule back, and does allow dual affiliations.

In either case the Bruins have never assigned very many players to the ECHL. If the Mariners get the affiliation for the marketing advantage, they would be wise to keep the Rangers also so they get more than just 1-2 players.

Yes and No... As you said, it could be an arrangement but referred to as a secondary affiliation. At one point last season we had more players from Montreal than New York so it was hard at times to tell.

I was looking at how many ECHL players have come through the system over the last two years and you are correct, it wasn't many.

The first four players played for Jacksonville - Who had an agreement with Boston this season - while the other players split time between Atlanta and Providence. No one really stood out for me as a high-level prospect like the several we've seen with the Rangers or Canadiens.
Callum Booth - G
Kyle Keyser - G
Matt Filipe - F
Andrew Peski – D

Joona Koppanen – F
Eric Neiley – F
Samuel Asselin – F
Joel Messner – D
Scott Conway – F
Dante Hannoun – F

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Yes and No... As you said, it could be an arrangement but referred to as a secondary affiliation. At one point last season we had more players from Montreal than New York so it was hard at times to tell.

I was looking at how many ECHL players have come through the system over the last two years and you are correct, it wasn't many.

The first four players played for Jacksonville - Who had an agreement with Boston this season - while the other players split time between Atlanta and Providence. No one really stood out for me as a high-level prospect like the several we've seen with the Rangers or Canadiens.
Callum Booth - G
Kyle Keyser - G
Matt Filipe - F
Andrew Peski – D

Joona Koppanen – F
Eric Neiley – F
Samuel Asselin – F
Joel Messner – D
Scott Conway – F
Dante Hannoun – F
The Royals had Providence as a secondary affiliation several years back. Usually they would assign 1-2 skaters, and sometimes a goalie. They weren't guys who were going to play in the NHL, but that's pretty rare anyway, but they were at least AHL level players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad