Maine for the AHL??

ognilacc

Apr 30, 2022
New York
maine should get a AHL team thats with the habs or the bruins why?

1.Maine has 2 Minor league teams in Basketball and baseball
(Seadogs AA For the red sox)
(Maine Celtics G league for the celtics)
2.bigger than rhode island
3 has meduim sized arena
4 has the Maine Mariners (ECHL)
5 had the Portland pirates (AHL)

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
maine should get a AHL team thats with the habs or the bruins why?

3 has meduim sized arena

Oh god, so much ridiculous, outrageous, and irrational thoughts here. Let's start digging through it...

Maine isn't going to get a AHL team, especially with the Bruins or Habs. Why?

Boston Bruins are never going to leave Providence.
  1. Jeremy Jacobs gets a gigantic cut of the concessions at Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence.
  2. Providence is closer to Boston than Portland
  3. Providence is a larger metro area than Portland. You don't look at the whole state. Orono isn't in the catchment area. It is all about metro market, people who live within 30-45 minutes of the arena are the market.
  4. Dunkin Donuts Center is a much larger arena than Cross Insurance Arena
  5. Providence Bruins average attendance is several thousand larger than Cross Insurance Arena's capacity
  6. Portland was towards the bottom of the AHL in attendance for most of their history
  7. Owner Larue Renfroe doesn't want to relocate the team from Providence since he has a close relationship with Dunkin Donuts Center operator ASM Globa
Montréal Canadiens own the AHL Laval Rocket and aren't going to move it 20 minutes from home to like 6 or 7 hours away. Same things as Providence in that it is a larger arena, larger metro area, is closer to the parent team, etc.

They're shouldn't get a AHL team because they aren't close to any other NHL teams for easy callups, their travel time wouldn't be very good, their attendance in the AHL was always around 3,000 and was always close to bottom of the league, etc.

As for your completely random and irrational points:

1. Has absolutely no bearing on their ability to support minor league hockey
  1. Market feasibility is all based on metro population and not state population. Half of that population doesn't live in metro Portland. Most of metro Providence is in Rhode Island. You wouldn't judge the feasibility of a team in Omaha based on the population for the whole of Nebraska. Even a child knows that.
3 has meduim sized arena
  1. That they have never filled
  1. Not a qualifier for being able to support a AHL team
  1. And they left for a reason

I am going to guess you're a well meaning and new poster, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Portland isn't a desirable AHL market.

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
Oh god, so much ridiculous, outrageous, and irrational thoughts here. Let's start digging through it...

1. Jeremy Jacobs gets a gigantic cut of the concessions at Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence.
  3. Providence is a larger metro area than Portland. You don't look at the whole state. Orono isn't in the catchment area. It is all about metro market, people who live within 30-45 minutes of the arena are the market.
  5. Providence Bruins average attendance is several thousand larger than Cross Insurance Arena's capacity
  6. Portland was towards the bottom of the AHL in attendance for most of their history
  7. Owner Larue Renfroe doesn't want to relocate the team from Providence since he has a close relationship with Dunkin Donuts Center operator ASM Globa
Montréal Canadiens own the AHL Laval Rocket and aren't going to move it 20 minutes from home to like 6 or 7 hours away. Same things as Providence in that it is a larger arena, larger metro area, is closer to the parent team, etc.

They're shouldn't get a AHL team because they aren't close to any other NHL teams for easy callups, their travel time wouldn't be very good, their attendance in the AHL was always around 3,000 and was always close to bottom of the league, etc.

1. Market feasibility is all based on metro population and not state population. Half of that population doesn't live in metro Portland. Most of metro Providence is in Rhode Island. You wouldn't judge the feasibility of a team in Omaha based on the population for the whole of Nebraska. Even a child knows that.
3 has meduim sized arena

I am going to guess you're a well meaning and new poster, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Portland isn't a desirable AHL market.
Once again, negative and such a dick about it

Reactions: Cynicaps

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I remember when I first found hockey message boards.

Hypotheticals like this are fun but if you're anything like me, you'd love actually digging a little deeper to learn why something might or might not work. It's easy to say "this should work" but you need to be saying "would this work?"

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

3 has meduim sized arena

You're right.... And, why do we still get thread like this?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Could we end this thread?

I think it is very clear that Portland, Maine is a market that couldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the American Hockey League with any degree of seriousness.

Add in to the fact that the OP's response to people addressing and correcting his inaccurate statements and issuing corrections is to laugh. Either it is trolling or not thread worthy, either way it should be taken down.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
had the Portland pirates (AHL)
They left because the owner Ron Cain and the team president Brian Petrovek got into a dispute with local politicians which saw the team play an entire season in Lewiston Maine after they had already spent half the previous season there while the Portland arena was being renovated. Needless to say this spoiled the market and soured the team with the fans and the team was sold moved to Springfield after two seasons.

Prior to that they had the original AHL version of the Maine Mariners who were affiliated with Boston and moved to Providence to become the P-Bruins after Buddy Cianci used some backroom deals to give the then Maine owners a sweetheart arena lease deal.

Now then do I think Portland could be successful in the AHL with the Bruins affiliate? That's a no brainer. Just having the affiliation alone anywhere in New England is basically a guaranteed 3,000-4,000 boost in attendance.

Do I think they will move there? No due to many of the reasons you and others have already cited.

What I do take exception to is your statement that the Portland Maine market has no business being mentioned as a serious AHL destination. In all honesty a Providence market without a Bruins affiliate isn't that great of a market either. They'd be lucky to draw even 2,500 without Boston affiliate on the ice and the people who own and work for the team damn well know it.

When all is said and done Portland was a decidedly "average" market, and had it not been for the western NHL teams buying and moving their AHL teams out west to draw similar attendances in the 3,000-4,000 range with higher travel costs Portland likely would still have an AHL team.

ognilacc

Apr 30, 2022
New York
Could we end this thread?

I think it is very clear that Portland, Maine is a market that couldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the American Hockey League with any degree of seriousness.

Add in to the fact that the OP's response to people addressing and correcting his inaccurate statements and issuing corrections is to laugh. Either it is trolling or not thread worthy, either way it should be taken down.
bro i was laughing about someone quoting me saying maine is bigger than rhode island chill out

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They had the Portland Pirates. But I think it wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe if Quebec returns, but the one team that might make it work well would be Florida. Things in the AHL are complicated, but think they should move their HQ to Harrisburg because the Bears are a staple to the AHL and Springfield... isn't always.

But on the side, I think if Quebec returns to the NHL AHL returns to St. John's, maybe the Sens would be a better idea considering they have lots of one-way flights from St. John's to Ottawa.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
They had the Portland Pirates. But I think it wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe if Quebec returns, but the one team that might make it work well would be Florida. Things in the AHL are complicated, but think they should move their HQ to Harrisburg because the Bears are a staple to the AHL and Springfield... isn't always.

But on the side, I think if Quebec returns to the NHL AHL returns to St. John's, maybe the Sens would be a better idea considering they have lots of one-way flights from St. John's to Ottawa.
In the extremally unlikely event Quebec ever gets a NHL team again their AHL club whould most likely move into the Colisée Vidéotron in Trois-Rivières.

Reactions: Roadhog

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
%ED%98%BC%ED%8C%8C%EB%A7%9D-%ED%94%BC%EC%9E%90.gif

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Comcast Spectra owns the franchise, folks....... it became too expensive to operate the AHL level toward the end of the state/city tenure which is why you don't see Worcester either in the league.....

the Flyers sold the franchise once before in 1982 (today's Stockton Heat) they tried resurrecting it in the latter stages of the Spectrum, the team known as Lehigh Valley today.

Providence, from 1988-91, was where..... PORTLAND. as a Bruins affiliate under private ownership just as Providence is today.... in fact, the AHL blocked the Reds in 1977 from coming here since CS had the territory, and why Binghamton got admitted to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad