Mail/EMS & Customs Question

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Basically I'm looking at purchasing a DVD I want to collect and it's sold in the UK. The seller can send it by regular mail or EMS.

I guess my question is (assuming EMS is just Canada Post when inside Canada): Is there any way to pay Canada Post in advance through their website for duty? Example: I buy it, they ship, it arrives in Canada and clears customs and is in the hands of Canada Post. They have a duty $ amount. I pay it once Canada Post has it but before they deliver it.

I won't be home during the day to intercept and pay on the spot. I have never really had to do something like this before, always found what I needed in Canada or sold by Amazon.com, co.uk, etc... so if they need they pre-charge an estimate on tax/duty, it comes by courier and I adjust online to "leave at door" and never had a problem.

My other option would be going after work to the post office where it's being held but that's pretty inconvenient. Anyone with experience know of a work around to pay in advance and get them to drop it in the mailbox?

Edit: I know this is more of a RFD type of question but I can't seem to register on there to ask and when I searched their forums it seems to be more about people avoiding paying duty or complaining about duty which doesn't really concern me. I'll pay it if it's assessed. I just want ability to have the package when I get home from work ideally. Online pay would make it super easy but I don't see an obvious way to do so on Canada Post website.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad