Value of: MAF to Carolina

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just a desperate Canes fan here, what would it take? Assuming for a moment that Fleury would actually waive the NTC for Carolina, what is Pittsburgh looking to get in return?

The hurricanes goaltending situation right now consists of an NHL backup goalie and an AHL goalie. We have the cap to afford Fleury and would have no problem protecting him from expansion, not many other teams can say the same. We could start with Ward + or Lack + if you wanted one of our guys coming back the other way. I'm just generally curious what Pitt fans perceive Fleury's value to be and wonder if Canes have anything reasonable to offer.

EDIT: If there are any other starters that are available for the right price, please make an offer. We need help, man.

Last edited:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I would move Fleury for a decent backup and a draft pick or two maybe a 2nd and a 4th.

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
Just a desperate Canes fan here, what would it take? Assuming for a moment that Fleury would actually waive the NTC for Carolina, what is Pittsburgh looking to get in return?

The hurricanes goaltending situation right now consists of an NHL backup goalie and an AHL goalie. We have the cap to afford Fleury and would have no problem protecting him from expansion, not many other teams can say the same. We could start with Ward + or Lack + if you wanted one of our guys coming back the other way. I'm just generally curious what Pitt fans perceive Fleury's value to be and wonder if Canes have anything reasonable to offer.

Both of those are more than adequate starts. Add on a late 2nd and give us the shorter of the contracts between Ward and Lack and call it a day.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
brett pesce fine with you canes fans or is that too much? he seems like a good #4/5 that we need.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A lot depends on what you are "willing" to give up.

Canes have 2 2nds and 2 3rds, two cheap goalies, and a plethora of young talent.

Part of me says a 2nd and a 3rd. But you'd likely need to send a goalie back which then makes me say Ward+2nd or Lack+3rd for MAF+4th.

Other part of my says let's get freaky: Ward+Aho for MAF+Sprong.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I don't see much of a chance he wavies that no trade clause for any reason. He can probably force a buyout and be making 8 million+ next year. You think there's a chance in hell he gives that for the Hurricanes?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Lack + NYR 2nd is doable. Anything including Aho or one of the Canes top young Defensmen is just not happening.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't see much of a chance he wavies that no trade clause for any reason. He can probably force a buyout and be making 8 million+ next year. You think there's a chance in hell he gives that for the Hurricanes?

The Hurricanes might be a borderline playoff team with MAF if he can put up the .920 that he has for the past 3 years.

Their goaltending is absolutely murdering them right now and last season. Ward is beyond washed up (good job at re-signing this guy to be your starter in the year 2016 LOL) and Lack totally lost his game when he was traded there.

They should give Lack a little bit longer of a rope than they did last year. He definitely sucked and was worse than Ward, but he was pretty solid in the 2 seasons before he came there. And Ward has been brutal since the most recent lockout ended. He hasn't been very good in 4 or 5 years now.

They're really not a bad team, despite maybe a pretty young and inexperienced cast and no real star power anymore. But goaltending was the main culprit for them finishing as poor they did last year, and it's contributed to a not very good start this year. And even last year, they didn't even really finish all that poorly. That managed to get 86 points with the arguably the worst goaltending in the league, second to only Dallas maybe.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We're not trading him for picks in the middle of the season. It'll take something upgrading our roster to justify moving him over having two starting goalies. That's how the Pens view it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh right, so what is that, 69 NHL games between Condon and Murray?

That will end well.

So? Murray can probably handle it, Condon is trash though.

Lack might be an upgrade to him, if he can bounce back from last season's awfulness.

If not, he's on par with Condon. Good for nothing.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
So? Murray can probably handle it, Condon is trash though.

Lack might be an upgrade to him, if he can bounce back from last season's awfulness.

If not, he's on par with Condon. Good for nothing.

How could you have any idea if Murray can handle it? He's played 13 regular season games.

Maybe you could risk it on another team, but the Pens are a contending team right now. Why would they risk that?

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
The Hurricanes might be a borderline playoff team with MAF if he can put up the .920 that he has for the past 3 years.

Their goaltending is absolutely murdering them right now and last season. Ward is beyond washed up (good job at re-signing this guy to be your starter in the year 2016 LOL) and Lack totally lost his game when he was traded there.

They should give Lack a little bit longer of a rope than they did last year. He definitely sucked and was worse than Ward, but he was pretty solid in the 2 seasons before he came there. And Ward has been brutal since the most recent lockout ended. He hasn't been very good in 4 or 5 years now.

They're really not a bad team, despite maybe a pretty young and inexperienced cast and no real star power anymore. But goaltending was the main culprit for them finishing as poor they did last year, and it's contributed to a not very good start this year. And even last year, they didn't even really finish all that poorly. That managed to get 86 points with the arguably the worst goaltending in the league, second to only Dallas maybe.
Sorry didn't really mean to put down the Hurricanes, I was more trying to point out how incredibly advantageous it is for Fleury to get a buyout. He will be one of the highest payed players in the league if you assume teams are willing to trade assets for him at 5.75 million. How much is he going to command on the open market? Then add 3.83 million to that number for several years. The only way I see him getting traded is if a top 12 (or whatever the number is) goalie has a career ending injury.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Why would the pens buy him out if he can be exposed in the expansion draft? I guess the buyout would be plan b if he isn't taken? Seems like it'd be preferable to get something for him, even if it's just draft picks, rather than lose him for nothing or have to pay him to go away.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Why would the pens buy him out if he can be exposed in the expansion draft? I guess the buyout would be plan b if he isn't taken? Seems like it'd be preferable to get something for him, even if it's just draft picks, rather than lose him for nothing or have to pay him to go away.

He has a NMC so he cant be exposed in the expansion draft. Thats the problem and why they need to trade him

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No need for Lack, we have Condon to backup Murray. A 2nd and 3rd would be ideal.

You have to take one of Lack/Ward back because we may have space but we're still not going to pay a small fortune for 3 goaltenders signed past the end of this season, especially since the two we'd leave exposed...Ward and Lack...have no possibility of being taken by Vegas and little possibility of being traded otherwise.

Whether that forces you to send Condon to the AHL or whether he's better than Ward/Lack is immaterial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad