Confirmed with Link: MacWilliam & Knodel Not Qualified

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not qualifying a player typically means a team is done with them, however that's not always the case. In order to qualify MacWilliam for instance, they would have to give him a 5% raise. So, he'd be making over 900K in the NHL next season. What sometimes happens is that a player isn't qualified, and then resigned as a UFA for a more cap-friendly number in the 600-700k range with their current team. So, not to say this is what will happen, but if the leafs wanted to keep MacWilliam around, they'd much rather do it at 700K instead of 900K I'd imagine.

That's a good call. I didn't know what the number would be on both guys.

I'm sure that the case is still the same. They are in a battle of numbers and it's doubtful that either guy will be on the roster next season.

Knodel was back and forth from the ECHL to AHL. The question is, would you rather have him or a guy like Finn try and develop with the club?

MacWilliam still would have a possibility though if he wanted to come back. 650k-700k is decent.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Never understood the love for MacWilliam even as a 7/8 guy

can file Knodel under no one cares.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
MacWilliam wasn't very good. Still kind of wish they could have gotten a Holzer like return with a late pick or something though.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
With regards to MacWilliam, he seemed like an old school defender. The Leafs are being decisive about getting away from this type of defenseman.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Haven't heard much about Knodel in years. MacWilliam may re-sign for a smaller number. At least, if the CBA rules are still similar regarding this matter to what they were before.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Never like to see a kid's NHL dream end, but onward and upward to better prospect quality in this organization. I look forward to the days when we're so deep we have no choice but to waive a player like Panik just as Tampa did last year.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
For awhile MacWilliam looked like an up-and-coming Mark Fraser. Then, like Mark, he stopped fighting.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I support this move. It's pretty clear that we are taking a development first approach to the Marlies. If a player hasn't made it by his mid 20's, cut him loose and make room for the younger prospects.

No sense in keeping guys around whom are fringe NHLers at best. These guys are a dime a dozen, you don't need to waste spots on them.

Gotta hand it to Dubas. He's really starting to impress me.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Rielly, Gardiner, Polak, Percy, Marincin, (Phaneuf), Granberg, Erixon, Brennan and even Loov all have better shots than these guys to make the team. Really feel Percy should be up the whole year.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Frees up contract slots.

This is it. I liked MacWilliam, but the Leafs only have 8 free spots (with Valiev returning to the juniors) after releasing all their FAs. Keep in mind that they'll likely be taking back 3-4 guys in a Kessel deal and 2-3 in a Phaneuf deal.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
MacWilliam wasn't very good. Still kind of wish they could have gotten a Holzer like return with a late pick or something though.

There was mention that he was in play in the days before the draft. Guess no one bit.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I support this move. It's pretty clear that we are taking a development first approach to the Marlies. If a player hasn't made it by his mid 20's, cut him loose and make room for the younger prospects.

No sense in keeping guys around whom are fringe NHLers at best. These guys are a dime a dozen, you don't need to waste spots on them.

Gotta hand it to Dubas. He's really starting to impress me.

Ya he's done some great things in the last few days, him and Hunter both.

Love the direction we are going in. Hard to forget the years spent praying for this type of strategy that would never come.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
They were never going to be anything more than part time NHL'ers anyways. Remember when Nonis qualified Fraser and put himself in cap trouble? Not the same situation here but you don't have to qualify someone just because they're RFA, you can still sign them after as UFA and maybe even cheaper. No need to guarantee a raise/arbitration case with dime a dozen players.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well, if they can skate they could still play pro hockey somewhere and continue to make a living at it, but drafted in 2009 Knoedel chances are not much upside left.

What is that 6 years post-draft?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
This is it. I liked MacWilliam, but the Leafs only have 8 free spots (with Valiev returning to the juniors) after releasing all their FAs. Keep in mind that they'll likely be taking back 3-4 guys in a Kessel deal and 2-3 in a Phaneuf deal.

Valiev will not be returning to junior, he'll be turning pro and will almost certainly be on the Marlies. And even if he did go back to Kootenay, he would be an overager ('95 birth year) and his contract would count towards the limit of 50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad