MacKinnon vs McDavid (w/Contracts) - Which teams take who?

Out of every team in the league - how many pick McDavid vs MacKinnon (with contracts)

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is just for fun. Each team in the league has the ability to add either player (don't worry too much about what they have to trade to get the player - just imagine it works great and they 100% do it - they do have to then find a way to fit the current cap though).

MacKinnon has a cap hit of 6.3M$ until 2022-2023
McDavid has a cap hit of 12.5M$ until 2025-2026

Out of 29 teams in the league (31 if you ignore having the actual player) - how many teams pick McDavid vs MacKinnon? Choose the answer closest to yours:

1. 100% of teams pick McDavid

2. Most teams pick McDavid, some pick Mackinnon

3. Close to 50/50

4. Most teams pick Mackinnon, some pick McDavid

5. 100% of teams pick Mackinnon

Feel free to discuss specific teams and who does what/why.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Great poll OP!

I vote option 1. I think 100% of teams take McDavid - and most don't even think twice about it.

I'd love to see someone argue for a different option - be it for a specific team, or just in general.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Feeling sorry for MacKinnon, that contract is brutal. I would go for MacKinnon, he is almost as good for half the price.

He is making approximately 6.75 in real money. At least it wasnt as bad as Kucherov making 4.5 while scoring 85, 100 points and another 100 + points this year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah no question they all take McDavid imo. You make room for a player like that no matter who you have to trade away.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
McD is the best player in the league but he is not worth two Macks. I'd take Mack over McD with their current contracts easily. Mack is a much better cap friendly contract then McD. Looking at this poll thank god none of you are my team's GM. McD being the best player in the league has not help the Oilers much so far.
Yeah because that's exactly how it works, MacKinnon signed his contract his while he was looking like a massive disappointment for a 1st overall, that extra 6mil you save on McDavid is more likely to get you someone like Bozak nowadays.

Reactions: libertarian

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yeah because that's exactly how it works, MacKinnon signed his contract his while he was looking like a massive disappointment for a 1st overall, that extra 6mil you save on McDavid is more likely to get you someone like Bozak nowadays.
Are you serious LMAO?

That $6 million doesn't have to go to a UFA, it can go towards resigning future RFA's and contracts. I guess if you're the Oilers you can blow $6 million on Lucic but just because you have $6 million left over doesn't mean it has to go towards a bad UFA. If the difference between having one on the Leafs meant with McDavid we'd lose one of Tavares, Marner, Nylander and Mackinnon being we could keep them all (Matthews, Mackinnon, Marner, Tavares, Nylander)...it's not close.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
McD is the best player in the league but he is not worth two Macks. I'd take Mack over McD with their current contracts easily. Mack is a much better cap friendly contract then McD. Looking at this poll thank god none of you are my team's GM. McD being the best player in the league has not help the Oilers much so far.

Too bad you can't have two Macks.

Reactions: libertarian

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
McDavid's contract is not even an issue as long as you manage the rest of your teams cap correctly. So I would definitely take McDavid.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Looks like I'm in the minority, but I think the number is closer to 50/50. So many teams are up against the cap, and it has gotten really difficult to unload salary. Adding $12m+ to a cap team would put a huge strain on the organization, and they'd probably have to give up significant assets to clear that much space.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
100% take McDavid without any hesitation. You always take the best player in the game and to make it even easier McDavid is younger.
Cap won’t even play into it as you can always jettison other contracts to get a player like McDavid. You make it work.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
You 100% take the best player in the league there I don't think any GM would hesitate on that. But man if you could had Nate Mack and Seth Jones at 11,9M$ versus McDavid at 12,5M$ I think it would be another story though :laugh:

Reactions: bobholly39

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I went Option 2. Both are great players though and should dominate the league for the next decade.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
As fans we probably all say McDavid but it wouldn't surprise me if some actual GMs take a more fiscal approach and chose MacKinnon. Went with the 2nd option.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Are you serious LMAO?

That $6 million doesn't have to go to a UFA, it can go towards resigning future RFA's and contracts. I guess if you're the Oilers you can blow $6 million on Lucic but just because you have $6 million left over doesn't mean it has to go towards a bad UFA. If the difference between having one on the Leafs meant with McDavid we'd lose one of Tavares, Marner, Nylander and Mackinnon being we could keep them all (Matthews, Mackinnon, Marner, Tavares, Nylander)...it's not close.

Sure for this year. It's pretty close when Matthew signs for 11 million because your be losing nylander or marner to get mack.

Your math falls apart as soon as everyone else signs.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Sure for this year. It's pretty close when Matthew signs for 11 million because your be losing nylander or marner to get mack.

Your math falls apart as soon as everyone else signs.
Except there's other ways to shed salary other than moving core pieces. If the Leafs needed to move a first to shed the last year of Marleau's deal or Zaitsev, it can be done based on past deals of that nature. Only teams like the Oilers move skill players to shed cap to sign useless UFA's like Lucic, Russell, etc.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Except there's other ways to shed salary other than moving core pieces. If the Leafs needed to move a first to shed the last year of Marleau's deal or Zaitsev, it can be done based on past deals of that nature. Only teams like the Oilers move skill players to shed cap to sign useless UFA's like Lucic, Russell, etc.

Why would Marleau waive? I'm not going to defend Chiarelli so I guess you can keep taking random shots at the Oilers, not that it accomplishes anything, nor is it pertinent to the conversation.

11 + 11 + marner + 6.9 + MacKinnon (6.3) would be well over 35 million assuming marner makes more than Nylander, which he should. Rielly needs an extension. Kap would be gone. Who replaces Zaitsev? When does freddy need an extension?

Marleau still needs to be replaced and the defense needs to be serviceable outside of Rielly.

Russell isnt useless, and hes much better than Lucic and makes 2m less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad