MacKinnon vs. Jones

I Am Score*

Did you just pick a random highly-drafted player at the same position for these comparisons?

I don't see any of them, at all.

Do you actually watch these players?

And no I didn't, I don't even remember the pick Seabrook was drafted I had to look it up. Knew it was first round, just not 14th.

Halpysback*

MacKinnon >= Barkov > Jones > Drouin

Sure things at D at the top of the draft are fairly rare and Drouin isn't what we need if we're looking to build a cup team. If I'm getting him I'd try to pimp a calder season out of him and trade him as he's receiving that trophy.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
MacKinnon looks like the kind of guy who would have chemistry with Kuznetsov (if he is ever coming to the Caps).

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
MacKinnon seems to fit better for roster consideration.

But if I'm a GM I'd be hard pressed not to take the first black player drafted #1 and bring him to DC. It's a marketing gold mine plus he's got NBA pedigree. Could mark a paradigm shift for the league and I'd certainly want in on that.

Don't know the players well enough to split hairs on there respective talents, and the downside to Jones is we already have a lot of youth on the back end and these kids tend to take significantly longer to develop.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Is anyone expecting McKinnon to be the second coming of Crosby? If not, I'd say Jones. Not because young D is a glaring need. Big, strong shutdown D who can move the puck IS a glaring need (for every team).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Is anyone expecting McKinnon to be the second coming of Crosby? If not, I'd say Jones. Not because young D is a glaring need. Big, strong shutdown D who can move the puck IS a glaring need (for every team).

So there's no room between Jones and the next coming of Crosby? What if he's the next coming of Stamkos? Or a better version of Taylor Hall?

Take whoever the scouting staff identifies as the better prospect.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
So there's no room between Jones and the next coming of Crosby? What if he's the next coming of Stamkos? Or a better version of Taylor Hall?

Take whoever the scouting staff identifies as the better prospect.

That's a fair point. I know they used to compare him to Crosby but I think that was mainly just because he was a child phenom. I saw a little of him in the WJC's but he was playing 4th line. Is there an NHL player he's often compared to? I saw Eric Staal above but that makes no sense - Staal is big and size is a major component in his game. MacKinnon is 5'11".

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
That's a fair point. I know they used to compare him to Crosby but I think that was mainly just because he was a child phenom. I saw a little of him in the WJC's but he was playing 4th line. Is there an NHL player he's often compared to? I saw Eric Staal above but that makes no sense - Staal is big and size is a major component in his game. MacKinnon is 5'11".

A better version of Taylor Hall is probably the best comp. Explosive acceleration with a really good shot.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
If we were in a position to draft Nathan Mackinnon, I'd do everything within reason to get into position to draft Drouin as well. Those two are ridiculous together.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Tavares and Crosby are the two comps I've seen the most. The Crosby stuff mostly comes from the fact he's from the same town and had some of the same coaches.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Tavares and Crosby are the two comps I've seen the most. The Crosby stuff mostly comes from the fact he's from the same town and had some of the same coaches.

My impression is that Tavares and Crosby are pretty similar but Crosby is a better athlete and just does everything faster. Lots of people say Tavares is slow but he sure looks faster than all the Caps every time we play him.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
My impression is that Tavares and Crosby are pretty similar but Crosby is a better athlete and just does everything faster. Lots of people say Tavares is slow but he sure looks faster than all the Caps every time we play him.

Huh? I don't recall one time that I was impressed with Tavares against the Capitals.

Jones is the biggest risk within the top 5 IMO. He's not a shutdown D. His size is exaggerated. His contributions during the WJC are exaggerated, Trouba was the best USA dmen and McCabe was the second, and both were part of the All-Star team, not Jones.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm going to show my North American bias, but I'm highly suspicious of any European player who has not come over to this side and played on the smaller North American rinks for a bit. I just look at MAJO as an example, while at the game the other night I watched MAJO and yes he looked much better than he had against the Pens and the reason for that was that the Leafs gave him much more space/room to maneuver and were not as physical with him as the Pens had been. MAJO certainly has a nice skill set that probably shows well on the larger European rinks where you have more room to move but it doesn't translate well to the North American rinks.

All that being said, the team would have to address their most glaring weakness which is at center, thus MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad