Proposal: MacKinnon+ for McDavid

Status
Not open for further replies.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
If the Oilers don’t improve quickly and McDavid grows so frustrated to the point of requesting a trade, I think MacKinnon+ for McDavid would be a good baseline. The Avs would send an elite, young, franchise superstar locked on a steal of a contract, my question would be how big of a + would the Avs have to add to get it done.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I don’t think the difference between the two is worthwhile. Mackinnon has taken a huge step in the last two seasons and doesn’t have the same inflated value due to marketing potential. From a pure hockey perspective it wouldn’t make sense to pay the difference between the two as McDavids value is greater than his level of play and Mackinnon is close to the same player as McDavid while giving every identication he’s just getting better and costing approximately half McDavids salary.

Edit: after rereading my post, I’ve almost convinced myself a 6.3 million dollar 97point player is worth more than McDavid and I don’t think I’d even make the trade straight up.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If i'm Colorado im not even sure i consider it straight up. Mack has one of the best value contracts in the league.

Sure McDavid is the bigger talent, but the drop off in on-ice talent isnt big enough to justify the cap space that will be needed for Colorados future.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
The + would have to be huge.

Think Mackinnon + Makar + Ottawa's 1st for Mcdavid + Bouchard + Lucic
Obviously McDavid is awesome, but you’re super delusional if you think he’s anywhere close to that valuable. You’re basically asking for three franchise players, while also having the Avs absorb Lucic’s albatross contract for what right now is probably about an annual 20 point improvement from MacKinnon at about twice the price. The Avs max offer would probably be MacKinnon + Barrie + Avs 1st, and that would definitely be more than fair.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are not likely to trade Mackinnon based on his contract + prospect + picks for McDavid. I understand McDavid is the best player in the league, but consider some of the proposals:

Mackinnon @ $6.6M
Makar @ $900K
OTT Pick @ $900K

for

McDavid @ $12.5M

Oilers get this haul of high end talent and still save $4M per. No chance the AVs make this deal unless it's a simple 1 for 1.

Reactions: MacBradley

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Obviously McDavid is awesome, but you’re super delusional if you think he’s anywhere close to that valuable. You’re basically asking for three franchise players, while also having the Avs absorb Lucic’s albatross contract for what right now is probably about an annual 20 point improvement from MacKinnon at about twice the price. The Avs max offer would probably be MacKinnon + Barrie + Avs 1st, and that would definitely be more than fair.

Alright cool, we'll just keep McDavid then.

Lock the thread, lads.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Given contracts the Avs hang up, even straight up one for one. That is not the deal the Oilers need anyhow. They need to trade McDavid for a package of very young high end assets. They won't though and even though it is apparent to anyone that McDavid is too much of a nice guy to tell the Oilers that he wants the hell out of there they won't deal him.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think the 'franchise player' title should be saved until Makar + whoever is drafted plays a professional game of hockey. He looks very promising but ya, need to hold the horses a little lol

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Alright cool, we'll just keep McDavid then.

Lock the thread, lads.
Haha that’s going to be pretty hard to do when he, inevitably, requests a trade. This Oilers dumpster fire isn’t improving anytime soon, and it’s hard to see McDavid wanting to stay after another season or two like the Oilers have been having.

Reactions: Groo

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Haha that’s going to be pretty hard to do when he, inevitably, requests a trade. This Oilers dumpster fire isn’t improving anytime soon, and it’s hard to see McDavid wanting to stay after another season or two like the Oilers have been having.
The issue there is I think McDavid is too nice of a guy to do it plus he has guys like Gretzky pressuring him to stay and be the next "great one" It is obvious by his body language and little quips sometimes the media catches he absolutely would love to get out there though. Maybe he can get his agent to ask for the deal and then media spin it that it is his agents idea or something like that.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
McDavid is not available for anyone in the NHL, MacKinnon (who actually has wingers to work with) included.
Yeah I forgot that McDavid has John Scott and David Clarkson in a back brace as his linemates while having to play with one hand tied behind his back and Edmonton’s Jamba Juice constantly messing up his order before the games. He has to overcome so much!! :sarcasm:

Reactions: MacBradley

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I don’t think the difference between the two is worthwhile. Mackinnon has taken a huge step in the last two seasons and doesn’t have the same inflated value due to marketing potential. From a pure hockey perspective it wouldn’t make sense to pay the difference between the two as McDavids value is greater than his level of play and Mackinnon is close to the same player as McDavid while giving every identication he’s just getting better and costing approximately half McDavids salary.

Edit: after rereading my post, I’ve almost convinced myself a 6.3 million dollar 97point player is worth more than McDavid and I don’t think I’d even make the trade straight up.

So 3 or 4 Matthews ?

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Mcdavid puts asses in seats. And he gets the most media coverage of anyone in the league (besides the center of the universe obv). The only reason the Oilers are relevant in the media is because we have the best player in the world here.

Adding Mcdavid instantly sells more seats, more merch, and gets you a lot more media attention.

Connor Mcdavid's impact extends further than just on the ice.

We'd need a massive overpay to trade him. Mackinnon 1 for 1 is a sizable underpay.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Stay current my lad . TSN talked about this a few weeks ago . They said McDavid is committed to seeing it thru in Edmonton . Now that doesn't mean he won't change his mind if this goes on for another 3 or 4 years but it won't happen anytime soon

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

And McDavid keeps getting better as well . McDavid is the better player by about 2 steps and keeps getting better so who knows how big a gap that becomes .

Pointless anyways as neither team does it and if Edmonton did Katz better move his family out of Edmonton 12 years of shit only to have 2 good players fans in the city will riot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00