Value of: MacKenzie Weegar's Next Contract

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Analytics darling that has carved out a big role on Florida's blue line. Currently on a 1 yr/ 1.6 million dollar deal. Arbitration eligible this offseason. Doesn't have much negotiating power in the way of flashy point totals, however.

What do you see him getting on his next contract?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hoping for somewhere in the 3-4yr range, right around $3.5 million would be a dream.

Tallon should not play hardball with him, he's progressed every year since junior.

He had some injuries this year though, concussion from Byron hit and taking a puck to the head.
Played really well for most part on top pair with Ekblad when healthy. Both those guys were pacing career years before stoppage.

Weegs.PNG

Last edited:

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Hoping for somewhere in the 3-4yr range, right around $3.5 million would be a dream.

Tallon should not play hardball with him, he's progressed every year since junior.

He had some injuries this year though, concussion from Byron hit and taking a puck to the head.
Played really well for most part on top pair with Ekblad when healthy. Both those guys were pacing career years before stoppage.

View attachment 345226

That would be a really good deal for you guys, IMO. Good for Weegar, too. Nice payday for a 7th rounder that has spent the last couple seasons on one year deals.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That would be a really good deal for you guys, IMO. Good for Weegar, too. Nice payday for a 7th rounder that has spent the last couple seasons on one year deals.

Ya he's earned it, as Pixie said above, if they go long term (5-6 years), he can chase $4-4.5 million per.
Just wonder if he banks on himself with a shorter term deal to hit free agency around 28-29 and cash in at $5 million or more.
He has untapped offensive ability (junior and AHL stats) but will never see any PP time with Yandle and Ekblad here.
The 7th round pick has paid off big time, he brings a good physical element and has shown the ability to play top pairing minutes. Even if he settles in as a #4, it's been a great story for the long shot.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Probably a package around jost and zadorov, which is, you know, the avalanche special
A Jost/Zadorov return gets sneered at quite a bit because of the regularity that it gets suggested in trade discussions, but the truth is that neither player is necessarily available due to them being bad players, but rather, simply because Colorado has such strong depth and they are the logical players to be moved - particularly in Zadorov's case due to the upcoming Expansion Draft. Jost was also rumoured to be available by credible sources and saw his ice time go up (getting showcased) at the deadline which lends credence to his availability.

Including Jost and Zadorov in trade proposals is actually not too indifferent from last year when Avs fans regularly included Barrie and Kerfoot in trade proposals. Like with the Barrie/Kerfoot trade Avs fans are often quite accurate with trade suggestions, which isn't surprising given how that we have a GM who is logical and rather predictable in the roster moves that he makes.

In any case, regarding Weegar I could definitely see a Zadorov and Jost package working for Florida. They likely need to replace Haula as 2C/3C, and Jost would be a cost-effective and younger replacement for him. On D they have Ekblad/Stralman/Priskie on the right, and so it would make sense to balance things out a bit by acquiring a player more naturally suited to playing on the left. That's particularly relevant if they manage to find a way to move Yandle who is declining considerably.

For what it's worth Zadorov also already has a house in Miami, and Florida has numerous Russians on the team so it would even be a good fit outside of hockey. Those factors, combined with the low state income tax, would make it likely that Zadorov would be willing to sign a reasonable long-term deal in Florida if they acquired him as an RFA in a trade.

Zadorov and Jost each carry a trade value of around a 2nd+3rd, so I'd guess that Florida would send a pick and/or prospect back to Colorado if they wanted both players, with Colorado's own 2020 3rd being an obvious candidate.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Ya he's earned it, as Pixie said above, if they go long term (5-6 years), he can chase $4-4.5 million per.
Just wonder if he banks on himself with a shorter term deal to hit free agency around 28-29 and cash in at $5 million or more.
He has untapped offensive ability (junior and AHL stats) but will never see any PP time with Yandle and Ekblad here.
The 7th round pick has paid off big time, he brings a good physical element and has shown the ability to play top pairing minutes. Even if he settles in as a #4, it's been a great story for the long shot.
Honest question cause I don’t watch him much but do people really think he could get upwards of 4.5 million per for a guy that has 18 points as a career high? I realize there’s more to the game than points but that seems like a lot of money.

sorry that was 18 points in 45 games. He would have been on pace for 32. Seems a little more reasonable I guess.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
A Jost/Zadorov return gets sneered at quite a bit because of the regularity that it gets suggested in trade discussions, but the truth is that neither player is necessarily available due to them being bad players, but rather, simply because Colorado has such strong depth and they are the logical players to be moved - particularly in Zadorov's case due to the upcoming Expansion Draft. Jost was also rumoured to be available by credible sources and saw his ice time go up (getting showcased) at the deadline which lends credence to his availability.

Including Jost and Zadorov in trade proposals is actually not too indifferent from last year when Avs fans regularly included Barrie and Kerfoot in trade proposals. Like with the Barrie/Kerfoot trade Avs fans are often quite accurate with trade suggestions, which isn't surprising given how that we have a GM who is logical and rather predictable in the roster moves that he makes.

In any case, regarding Weegar I could definitely see a Zadorov and Jost package working for Florida. They likely need to replace Haula as 2C/3C, and Jost would be a cost-effective and younger replacement for him. On D they have Ekblad/Stralman/Priskie on the right, and so it would make sense to balance things out a bit by acquiring a player more naturally suited to playing on the left. That's particularly relevant if they manage to find a way to move Yandle who is declining considerably.

For what it's worth Zadorov also already has a house in Miami, and Florida has numerous Russians on the team so it would even be a good fit outside of hockey. Those factors, combined with the low state income tax, would make it likely that Zadorov would be willing to sign a reasonable long-term deal in Florida if they acquired him as an RFA in a trade.

Zadorov and Jost each carry a trade value of around a 2nd+3rd, so I'd guess that Florida would send a pick and/or prospect back to Colorado if they wanted both players, with Colorado's own 2020 3rd being an obvious candidate.

that’s a lot of info, tbh I mostly skimmed through...while I’d love to have Zadarov, I have no interest in losing Weegar to get him, even with Jost included in the deal.

Weegar has quickly become a fan favorite and he plays solid defense. He’s mostly paired with Ek and looks like he belongs there.

Honest question cause I don’t watch him much but do people really think he could get upwards of 4.5 million per for a guy that has 18 points as a career high? I realize there’s more to the game than points but that seems like a lot of money.

sorry that was 18 points in 45 games. He would have been on pace for 32. Seems a little more reasonable I guess.

I would be comfortable giving him 4-4.5, but I’d be more comfortable doing that if it meant that Matheson was out of the lineup and his money was freed up.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Yeah I’d be completely fine with 4.0-4.5 per on a 5-6yr deal, or 2.75-3.50per on a 3yr deal. I’d prefer the shorter/cheaper deal, cap space is always a commodity, and then pay him his dues if he’s earned it over that time. But I love him as a player

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: