Value of: Mackenzie Weegar

Desmit

Apr 7, 2019
I understand he’s probably “not available” or too valuable. If he were to be moved, what would Florida expect as a return? Obviously, would love him in Vancouver but I don’t think the canucks could come up with a package

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I'd imagine he's probably too important to Florida and they wouldn't consider unless there's a gross overpayment.

Desmit

Apr 7, 2019
Yeah I mean I figured he would only move In the off-season but even then would be very unlikely

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
RHD that is great in his own end, and has more even strength points than any defender not named John Carlson since the beginning of last season. If he got powerplay time he would be a Norris candidate. I doubt Florida would trade him, but he should get the minimum of the Jones return if he comes with an extension if he is traded this offseason or next season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Vancouver honestly would have nothing Florida would want IMO.

I mean what hole on the Panthers roster would warrant moving Weegar? They don't need a 1C or 2C, or any Goaltending help. Panthers only weakish area is Defense and moving Weegar just makes it a glaring weakness instead of a minor one.

The result would just be opening up a significant hole for the Panthers they didn't have before the trade.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Vancouver honestly would have nothing Florida would want IMO.

I mean what hole on the Panthers roster would warrant moving Weegar? They don't need a 1C or 2C, or any Goaltending help. Panthers only weakish area is Defense and moving Weegar just makes it a glaring weakness instead of a minor one.

The result would just be opening up a significant hole for the Panthers they didn't have before the trade.

this. I was a fan of his early and he’s just continued to grow. He loves being here and is able to play alongside his best friend (their words) on the top pair.

There’s zero reason to move him, I’m not sure why the thread was made. It would cost a lot, but as said here, the Panthers can use a physical guy on the backend if anything. Problem is, there’s several guys awaiting their turn.

all that said, it’s nice to him recognized for his play. Very proud of him.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Except he was. He wasn't being actively shopped, but his name was involved in trade discussions.

Weegar “disappointed” with contract negotiations — The Fourth Period

except he wasn’t. Local guy George Richards said he was never actually available, it was baseless rumors based on them going to arbitration.

This is after a quick search, he says more in another article. It’s behind a paywall :

“Florida will pay Weegar $2 million this coming season, $3 million in 2021-22 and $4.75 million in the final year of the contract. With the signing of Weegar, who had been the subject of unfounded trade rumors the past few months, Florida sits about $6.5 million under the NHL’s flat salary cap of $81.5 million.

MacKenzie Weegar, Florida Panthers avoid arbitration with three-year contract

Last edited:

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Apparently the Panthers offered Weegar for Dermott and Johnsson a few years ago, which Dubas turned down for some reason. Would’ve been nice to have him the last couple seasons. One of the most underrated players in the league.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Apparently the Panthers offered Weegar for Dermott and Johnsson a few years ago, which Dubas turned down for some reason. Would’ve been nice to have him the last couple seasons. One of the most underrated players in the league.

they didn’t. It was all baseless speculation stemming from arbitration.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: