Value of: MacKenzie Blackwood to Sabres

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Curious to pick the minds of Devils fans on this one. Schneider isn't likely to go anywhere and Kinkaid really gives the devils something to consider one way or another.

Sabres seem set to not qualify lehner, Johnson is a free agent...leading the way for ullmark to be promoted to at least a tandem scenario with I'd assume a veteran stop gap. That leaves either a chance at a non veteran to split time or a wide open starters spot in rochester.

Curious to ask the price tag given the two teams are exact opposites...one has 3 goalies the other has ullmark....

I didnt use the proposal theme because I'm unsure of the actual cost and didn' want to insult devils fans so I'm asking now the cost...?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
2nd round pick will probably get the deal done even though, the teams goalie depth is not great.

He also could be a throw in as part of a larger deal for Ryan O'Reilly, who the Devils should be interested in. Something like Severson, Zacha, Blackwood for O'Reilly.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Tough one to gauge since he seemingly took a step back this season. Kinkaid is UFA after next season, so we'll see if he ends up getting offers elsewhere to compete for a starting gig. I think the thought was to let Blackwood/Appleby duel for the starting job in the AHL and the 'winner' would get the inside track at the potential backup opening in 2019-20.

We don't have 2nd or 3rd round picks this year, so perhaps there's a guy we like that slips and we could dangle Blackwood. Similar to Tampa trading Anthony DeAngelo for a pick to take Libor Hajek.

But from Buffalo, Blackwood doesn't seem like he'd be worth your 2nd (32nd overall). Your third went to Minnesota and we'd probably hang onto Blackwood over your 4th (94th overall).

Like Pete said above me, maybe Blackwood as a throw in piece as part of a larger deal. But on his own, he's probably not worth much but the Devils probably aren't in a spot where they need to make a decision on him.

Reactions: DJN21

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
2nd round pick will probably get the deal done even though, the teams goalie depth is not great.

He also could be a throw in as part of a larger deal for Ryan O'Reilly, who the Devils should be interested in. Something like Severson, Zacha, Blackwood for O'Reilly.

Why would Buffalo make that O’Reilly trade?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Honestly as a Sabres fan, I’d rather go after Schneider. He’s expensive and a bit older, but he’s proven. We haven’t had that in net since Miller left. Watching Vegas, Washington, Winnipeg and Nashville with who all had solid goaltending all season long, is like a proven veteran starter.
I’d assume most other Sabres fans are against this idea, but I’m just looking at every option for them going forward.

Blackwood is a good option though for Rochester. Maybe a 2019 2nd?

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
If you want Schneider gotta give to get. Not confident that Kinkaid can be a number one either. Think he had a hot streak and don’t think the devils will trade him...he also has a no trade clause i believe.

Make a legit proposal for Cory tho...I’m curious.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Honestly as a Sabres fan, I’d rather go after Schneider. He’s expensive and a bit older, but he’s proven. We haven’t had that in net since Miller left. Watching Vegas, Washington, Winnipeg and Nashville with who all had solid goaltending all season long, is like a proven veteran starter.
I’d assume most other Sabres fans are against this idea, but I’m just looking at every option for them going forward.

Blackwood is a good option though for Rochester. Maybe a 2019 2nd?

A 2nd is an awful lot for a guy who wasn't even good enough to hang in the AHL last year.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
7.5M/year for a 60 point Selke-caliber center who can win 60% of his draws isn't brutal.

Take a closer look at that contract.. And yes it is bad for a 2 center.. Thats 1 center money..

I think u need to look at how that contract breaksdown tho.

Buffalo drives ROR to the airport.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Take a closer look at that contract.. And yes it is bad for a 2 center.. Thats 1 center money..

Buffalo isn't a franchise that is strapped for cash - far from it. Contract is frontloaded so although the salary hit is 8.5 million next year it drops to 6M for the final four years - pretty managable.

Until Buffalo acquires another center who can win 40%+ of their draws and play the shutdown minutes ROR does while still being good for 55-60 points, they aren't driving him to any airport.

Reactions: ZZamboni and DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The Devils are interesting to me because they don't appear to have "glaring" needs anywhere other than maybe 1c which doesn't belong in a convo for Blackwood. Can any fans inform me on other needs? 2019 and beyond picks are obviously available due to lack of our own 3rd this year etc.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Not a fan of Zacha and his development curve though I see where you offer is at. McCleod or a 1st would easily be more interesting but I appreciate your comment.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The Devils are interesting to me because they don't appear to have "glaring" needs anywhere other than maybe 1c which doesn't belong in a convo for Blackwood. Can any fans inform me on other needs? 2019 and beyond picks are obviously available due to lack of our own 3rd this year etc.

LHD and RW are needs as well.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Not a fan of Zacha and his development curve though I see where you offer is at. McCleod or a 1st would easily be more interesting but I appreciate your comment.
I rate McLeod higher than Zacha but I can totally see why you would request him.

He actually projects to be a Ryan O'Reilly type player.

His D and faceoff ability (McLeod) are elite amongst the junior ranks and I have no doubt this will translate to the NHL. His speed is that good.

Only question mark is offensive ceiling. We wont know whether it will translate until after 2-3 seasons. If the offense is there, it will be a playmaking center rather than a goalscoring center.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Take a closer look at ROR.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Devils needs are (in order):

top 4 LHD
2C
top 6 RW

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Cuz Buff sucks and are gonna rebuild again and because RORs contract is brutal and they'd get rid of it if they could? The current GM is not the guy who signed him.
ROR's contract isn't brutal at all...he earns every penny. Dude gives it all every shift and has positives that perfectly mesh with Eichel especially when they are together on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad