Player Discussion MacArthur Concussion | Jan 20 UPDATE: Shut down for the year

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Although this is terrible news for both Clarke and the team, the silver lining is that maybe this way he will avoid having further damage and worst symptoms down the road in his life.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
As someone suffering from post concussion syndrome it was absolute insanity to consider that he would play again this season. He shouldn't play another minute of contact hockey given his history. Hopefully he retires.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Also, if he is living a decent life right now, bit can't play hockey, there is no reason to feel sorry for him. There's a lot more to life than hockey.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
As someone suffering from post concussion syndrome it was absolute insanity to consider that he would play again this season. He shouldn't play another minute of contact hockey given his history. Hopefully he retires.

Also, if he is living a decent life right now, bit can't play hockey, there is no reason to feel sorry for him. There's a lot more to life than hockey.

Clarke is devastated by the news. According to Dorion, Clarke is feeling good and believed he was coming back.

That's why you feel bad for him.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Clarke is devastated by the news. According to Dorion, Clarke is feeling good and believed he was coming back.

That's why you feel bad for him.

it makes me feel happy for him. He feels good, that's the most important part. The doctor obviously believes he's susceptible to another concussion.

I'm happy for CM. And he'll still be paid a **** ton.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Also, i hope sieloff does not get too down on himself over this. I'd hate to be that guy

The outcome was inevitable.

To think of it Seiloff hitting Mac could have been a blessing in disguise. Had he been hit with a regular season hit the long lasting effects could have been significantly worse.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
He will be missed... :( It really is in his best interest to save his noggin!

Now they can free up some money for a player before the trade deadline. :help:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I really liked his unique blend of speed and competitiveness with a little bit of fire and grit.

Hopefully it's more about the odds of getting into competitive shape at this stage of the season given his health concerns but I'm not overly optimistic.

This. I have been missing watching this guy play for a while now. Best souvenir is obviously :

One of the best plays I have seen. His chemistry with Turris was fun to watch. Could have help Ryan to post better numbers too.

The Sens really miss a player like him right now. Damn that sucks. Melnyk better allow Dorion to spend that unused money now that it's clear that he is not coming back.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I think this is good for him. He can continue to rehab, stay with the team to get his fix of being a professional hockey player, all without risking his health - assuming he really is well enough to skate and participate in non-contact drills. The league looks good by showing accountability for enforcing concussion protocols.

Then if he comes back in a year or two, and doesn't get injured, win-win for everyone. If they deem him never fit again, win for him still because he's collecting a pay cheque without having to put himself on the line. Ottawa wins because we get that cap hit boost to hit the floor without having to pay him out of pocket.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
His career is over. Seen this one coming for a while. Tough situation for all parties involved and especially Clarke but he's gotta face the facts of his situation.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tough news for Mac, hopefully the organization will find something in the hockey ops for him to work with & carry on with his life in a healthy way. Good luck to him. :handclap:

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
He had a style that blended well with Turris. Loved seeing those two create magic. Wishing Mac the best in life, he's been a trooper but can only go as far as your body allows. Definitely one of the best free agents we have signed, just ended too damn early.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
sorry to hear but probably right decision.
shame on nhl for not doing anything significant to prevent concussions (don't ask me what they can do, not my job)

Its a dangerous game, people are going to get concussions. It sucks, and I feel bad for Mac. But that's hockey sometimes. If you want to remove concussions, you're going to have to take all physical contact out of the game. Then you might as well just watch soccer.

They're big boys, they get paid big bucks. It's a risk plenty of us would take.

member 248215

I miss Mac so much. I miss Mac with Turris. I miss the MTR line and how magic it was that season. I'd be shocked if he played professional hockey again, to be honest. I couldn't believe they were considering bringing him back this season, but hey players want to play. Hopefully he finds something hockey related to do still while he recovers.

kaws

Apr 10, 2010
No doubt that he was a really good player and teammate.

But I am actually happy about the news. I know he wants to come back and play, but his health is what matters most.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hopefully he finds work within the organization, maybe helping with pro scouting and following Alfie around as a slave.

Oh, hellllllllls YES!

That's one area where Ottawa is incredibly weak. Mac would be a perfect candidate to be a pro scout.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Its a dangerous game, people are going to get concussions. It sucks, and I feel bad for Mac. But that's hockey sometimes. If you want to remove concussions, you're going to have to take all physical contact out of the game. Then you might as well just watch soccer.

They're big boys, they get paid big bucks. It's a risk plenty of us would take.

No contact hockey would still be far more exciting that soccer. It would still be faster and have more skill plays.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How would he be a perfect candidate? Not every ex Senator has to work with the organization.

He has played either with or against nearly everyone in the league right now. He also knows the Sens room quite well, and what type of player would gel with the team (and the kind of player we're missing).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad