Mac Recalled from Phantoms

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sigh...I guess no kid gets rewarded for good play.

There will be a kid rewarded: Taylor Leier

With Gagner replaced by McDonald, you can set up the lines like this..

Raffl - Giroux - Schenn
Leier - Couturier - Simmonds
Read - Laughton - Voracek
VandeVelde - Bellemare - McDonald

Now you can roll 4 lines then shorten to just the top 3 late in the game.

I would LOVE to see these lines next game. Leier might be able to actually take advantage of Couturier and Simmonds ability to possess the puck, unlike Read.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would have preferred Cousins, he's been lighting it up in the AHL, hasn't he?

Position was probably a factor, with McDonald being a RW and Cousins a C. I'd rather Cousins keep lighting it up as 1st line C in LHV then playing 7 minutes on RW. When a C goes down, he is first call-up.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would rather have seen Straka called up and put on the first line, but I see why they went with the veteran RW. I'm sure he'll be fired up against his old team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Raffl - Giroux - Schenn

I would LOVE to see these lines next game. Leier might be able to actually take advantage of Couturier and Simmonds ability to possess the puck, unlike Read.

You make an excellent point.

I really hope they put Jake with Laughton.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Raffl - Giroux - Schenn

Vinny would likely draw in at 4RW with McDonald as spare, non?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If someone who wasn't being used as a fringe player was injured, I'm sure Straka or Cousins would have gotten the call

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yawn, just replacing one guy who has no business playing in the NHL with another.

The end of the season can't come quicker.

Yeah considering Leier leap-frogged him, I think he intends on using McDonald on the 4th line. At least I hope so. Would like to see him roll 4 lines he can trust. Vinny will ruin whichever line he is on.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yawn, just replacing one guy who has no business playing in the NHL with another.

The end of the season can't come quicker.

McDonald is a solid 4th liner. No worse than VandeVelde. I like him for the 4th line until White is back.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought Legion would be kind of pleased Gagner was being replaced by someone who has a history of being a decent NHL depth player.

It's different teams and different seasons, but McDonald's 8 points in 18 games last year is better than most of the Flyers forwards have managed this season.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
This is why he was signed. Might as well keep the kids in the A and let them get playing time, or suffer the fate of Laughton and Leier: get called up and play 4th line minutes.

McDonald was signed TO GET called up and play 4th line minutes.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
If someone who wasn't being used as a fringe player was injured, I'm sure Straka or Cousins would have gotten the call

Hextall said he wants Straka to continue is good play in the AHL for now rather than coming up here

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Gotta link?

"That will have to play out. He's got a lot of ability, a lot of speed, and a pretty good knack for scoring. He's starting to figure out the little nuances of the game, and understanding where he has to go to score."
Hextall paused.

"Again, like with any kid, he's got a little bit of momentum now, and we want to see him continue to get better rather than: 'Oh, he's had a good month, so let's just move him up.' Sometimes you stop that momentum, and the player never grows into what you want him to grow into."

Straka was impressive in three games with the Flyers last season. Filling in for the injured Michael Raffl, he collected a pair of assists.

"To be honest, Petr probably played his best hockey in the last two years in that short stint up here," Hextall said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...high_Valley__for_now.html#40AQE0vbG3hq1lzQ.99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad