Speculation: Mac Bennett's future

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
I am not sure about his status but do the Canadiens have to sign Mac Bennett this year? He just wrapped up his junior year at Michigan but he's a 2009 pick. Do we sign him or not? Great skater and passer.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's playing his final season. One more year to sign him. He will be signed. No loophole for him, now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am not sure about his status but do the Canadiens have to sign Mac Bennett this year? He just wrapped up his junior year at Michigan but he's a 2009 pick. Do we sign him or not? Great skater and passer.

The deadline to sign him is August 15th, 2014 but he can opt out and become a UFA on July 1st, in order to do so he would have to do it before June 1st. Sounds like he's intent on going back to Michigan for his Senior year and the teams captain. I don't see how he doesn't get signed next off-season.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The deadline to sign him is August 15th, 2014 but he can opt out and become a UFA on July 1st, in order to do so he would have to do it before June 1st. Sounds like he's intent on going back to Michigan for his Senior year and the teams captain. I don't see how he doesn't get signed next off-season.

Does he have a shot at the bigs? He seemed like he'd have size and physicality issues when he was drafted

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
he is not physical and we have enough puck movers like PK an Nathan

considering we need big D , not sure where he fits in a few years

In order to win a cup you need more than 2 puck movers. We have a lot of them though. Based on trades the last 4-5 years they are a valuable commodity.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Well as long as we're making up pretend trade values....

Don't the Habs get a 2nd if Mac doesn't sign with them as compnesation? That's what I understood about college players who don't end up signing with the team that drafts them.

Analyzer*

Don't the Habs get a 2nd if Mac doesn't sign with them as compnesation? That's what I understood about college players who don't end up signing with the team that drafts them.

That's for first round picks only.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
would be sick though, not signing our 5th-7th round picks and then be rewarded with second rounders:)

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

*1st round picks

Bennett is a 3rd round choice

It wouldnt make sense to get a 2nd for him ;)

Every team would draft college player if we cant get a 2nd for them no matter where theyre drafted

http://www.montrealgazette.com/spor...s+prospect+Bennett+growing/8092185/story.html

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
For sure, it's hard to say how his lack of size/strength will effect him at the pro level but he's got elite mobility, solid two way, and a good puck mover.

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders too, wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed as a solid NHLer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I wouldn't run the team that way, since Bennett is at least a few years away and we don't know what the team is going to look like 3 years or so down the road as a lot can happen between now and then. really a silly way to look at it, puck moving defensemen is something we need more of going forward.

He should make a decent part of a trade package. We don't need another small, mobile defenseman.

Makes little sense to trade him now, he's still likely several years away from reaching the NHL so better to build up your depth imo then give him away before we know what he can do.

Seems to have a good head on his shoulders too, wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed as a solid NHLer.

He does, he can do a lot of things well, should be interesting to see how he does when he moves up to the AHL either at the end of next season when Michigan's season is over or the following if they somehow upgrade their goaltending.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I can see a prospect swap with a team that has too many forward prospects. What about to Anaheim for Kevin Roy ? We would have to add probably but I could see it work.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
How many guys named 'Mac' have ever made the NHL and made an impact? It doesn't look good.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I'm so sick of this attitude. Same type of thing that people are saying about the Nygren signing.

Let's just let all our prospects walk if they aren't physical! Woot!

Seriously, who cares? If he turns into a good player and doesn't fit.. trade him. It's better than just letting him walk.

Either way, he's YEARS away from the NHL. He fits in Hamilton for a year or two after his final year in Michigan, then we re-evaluate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad