Proposal: Maatta to the Sabres

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Would rather not trade Maatta.

Dumoulin+Sheary+1st for Reinhart and Kulikov?

We will not trade Reinhart for spare parts. Dumoulin has played well but he is not a center piece to get reinhart even with the adds. Sheary has good numbers but isn't that mostly due to playing with Sid? I mean who doesn't get good numbers with him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
McCabe for Maatta is the only trade I'd do.

I would do that trade but I don't believe either team has incentive to do so.

I would consider something around Maatta and Bogosian to be honest.

Bogo+Girgensons for Maatta+someone like S. Wilson

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
We will not trade Reinhart for spare parts. Dumoulin has played well but he is not a center piece to get reinhart even with the adds. Sheary has good numbers but isn't that mostly due to playing with Sid? I mean who doesn't get good numbers with him.

LOL ... Dumo would be your second or third best Dman ... Sheary would be in your top six ... spare parts. Kulikov is terrible. That is a TERRIBLE DEAL FOR PITTSBURGH. People with a hockey IQ know this.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Is girgensens expansion exempt? If so, would be interested in this trade if Bailey was the prospect

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
So do the Pens stand to lose Maata in the ED anyways? If not shouldn't you move at least one of your D? Any plan from your board to avoid losing someone of pretty good value for nothing?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
So do the Pens stand to lose Maata in the ED anyways? If not shouldn't you move at least one of your D? Any plan from your board to avoid losing someone of pretty good value for nothing?

A lot of us are hoping we go 4-4, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Rust then Letang, Dumo, Maatta, Schultz

7-3 allows us to keep all of our key wingers, but then one of Maatta, Dumo, or Schultz is the odd man out.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
A lot of us are hoping we go 4-4, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Rust then Letang, Dumo, Maatta, Schultz

7-3 allows us to keep all of our key wingers, but then one of Maatta, Dumo, or Schultz is the odd man out.

I see, so kinda a damned if you do... But you'd most likely prefer to go 4-4 and lose a winger than lose a D.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I see, so kinda a damned if you do... But you'd most likely prefer to go 4-4 and lose a winger than lose a D.

Yeah, internally it would be easier to replace Hornqvist or Hagelin than one of the 3 d men we could potentially lose. Most teams are going to lose someone good though. I'm curious to seeing if Vegas is willing to take "bribes". If they are then surely Pittsburgh will be interested in that if the price is right.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The problem with trading Määttä is that without him top 4 D instantly becomes the Penguins biggest need...and that's what Määttä is.

As such I can only see him being dealt in a 'change of scenery' type deal for another young top 4 defenseman...which probably takes Buffalo out of the conversation.

This. Not opposed to trading him, but the second we do, we absolutely need another top 4D - ideally one coming back in a trade. Which then questions why is either team doing this? About the only reason I could see that might make sense, is if it's someone with 3-4 years left on their deal and that they're older then Maatta, but also a better fit for Pittsburgh's style then Maatta is.

Team A gets a young cost controlled 22 yr old top 4 D with 5 years left on his deal and Pittsburgh gets an older (but still <30) top 4D with slightly less term (perhaps more/slightly more expensive cap hit) but who's also a better fit for the system.

Other than that, unless it's for a home run #3C (eg: Reinhart, Duchene, Rask, etc - which we all know is unlikely to happen) then it probably doesn't make a ton of sense.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Matta for Bogo+++ could work out. Bogo should fit the Pens much better.
Problem is the absolutely terrible Bogo-contract.

Sabres doesn't really have anything that matches the value of Maata.

Hopefully our players will increase in value after being freed from Bylsma. Hard to trade when everyone is looking bad.

The issue there is Bogo would be playing #3RD for us behind Letang and Schultz. And if either of Letang/Schultz are out, Bogo does little to nothing to address that loss other than being able to eat minutes. Which while fine in theory doesn't change much from what we're getting currently with someone like Hainsey. Is decent, but not the right fit for us.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Kulikov is a UFA. Pittsburgh can sign him for free and keep Maatta.
Letang will also be back next season.

I wish Pittsburgh could leave Letang unprotected for the Ed. He guys isn't a dependable person to play more than 50 games per. I know last year he did, which seems like a fluke. I can think of 7.3 million reasons why. That is a ton of cash to be playing an undependable player who has a lengthy health issue resume. He will be back, but for how many games until he gets injured again.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wish Pittsburgh could leave Letang unprotected for the Ed. He guys isn't a dependable person to play more than 50 games per. I know last year he did, which seems like a fluke. I can think of 7.3 million reasons why. That is a ton of cash to be playing an undependable player who has a lengthy health issue resume. He will be back, but for how many games until he gets injured again.

I'm sure Tampa is starting to feel the same way about Stamkos.
Trouble is as you say health, it's not a question of he isn't an awesome defenseman. 50 games from Letang is better than 82 games from some of the D my team has had come through.
You have to hope he can work it out, LTIR covers the salary. You just won't find a D replacement of that calibre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad