Proposal: Maatta to the Sabres

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Looking at the Pens, they need a 3C and a 2nd round draft pick.
They also need cap space to sign/pay Murray, Dumoulin, Sheary & Schultz.

IF Botterill is the Sabres new GM, he certainly knows what the Pens have and
what they need.

Sabres need D.

Maatta $4,083,333

for

Girgensons RFA (was $1,150,000)
2nd RD 2017 (Wild pick)
+ prospect

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Looking at the Pens, they need a 3C and a 2nd round draft pick.
They also need cap space to sign/pay Murray, Dumoulin, Sheary & Schultz.

IF Botterill is the Sabres new GM, he certainly knows what the Pens have and
what they need.

Sabres need D.

Maatta $4,083,333

for

Girgensons RFA (was $1,150,000)
2nd RD 2017 (Wild pick)
+ prospect

This is a pass for me. Pittsburgh has a depth problem on D. The free agent pool is terrible as far as reconstructing the D. You need a decent Dman back.

Girgensons was once intriguing. Now, while young, back to back bad seasons ....

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
This is a pass for me. Pittsburgh has a depth problem on D. The free agent pool is terrible as far as reconstructing the D. You need a decent Dman back.

Girgensons was once intriguing. Now, while young, back to back bad seasons ....

I hear what your saying about Girgs but you have to remember who his coach was the past 2 season. Remember Disco ?? Lol

Maatta has had his struggles as well. Both should excel on a new team.

Maybe the defensive prospect we throw in is Will Borgen?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Pens don't want that garbage. They have cap problems and depth on D, but the health of Crosby possibly another Forward.

Reinhart for Maatta.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I hear what your saying about Girgs but you have to remember who his coach was the past 2 season. Remember Disco ?? Lol

Maatta has had his struggles as well. Both should excel on a new team.

Maybe the defensive prospect we throw in is Will Borgen?

Pittsburgh doesn't need a D prospect. We drafted four of six picks last year on D.

Trade Maatta, you have remaining Letang (injury waiting to happen), Dumo, Cole and Schultz. Every other Dman on the roster is a UFA ... Daley, Hainsey, Streit, even Ruhlwedel could be come and the free agent pool sucks. We don't have anyone ready to step in and that includes Derrick Pouliot.

I know all about Disco. He ruined Simon Despres.

By the way, I like Girgensons. He is from the same country my adopted son is from.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Pens don't want that garbage. They have cap problems and depth on D, but the health of Crosby possibly another Forward.

Reinhart for Maatta.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maatta before his multiple injuries might have been worth Reinhart with a small add. But he hasn't been the same player since. If either of Dumoulin or Maatta aren't traded, one will be taken in the ED. So Pitt will either trade one for slightly less than they're worth, or take the L and lose one to LGK.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Reinhardt for Maatta.

Yeeeeeah no.

Maatta has seen a reduced role for the Pens over the last 3 seasons, including several nagging injuries. He still has 5 years and 20M+ on his contract.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Yeeeeeah no.

Maatta has seen a reduced role for the Pens over the last 3 seasons, including several nagging injuries. He still has 5 years and 20M+ on his contract.

Nagging injuries ... sure.

Reduced role? :laugh:

He is still a top four Dman. Please know what you are talking about before posting.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Nagging injuries ... sure.

Reduced role? :laugh:

He is still a top four Dman. Please know what you are talking about before posting.

His TOI has decreased every year since 14-15. (20:43 in 2015, 19:58 in 2016, and 18:04 this year)

He's playing less than he used to.

Thus....he's played a reduced role.

Top 4 still? Sure. But, he is playing less.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Umm Pittsburgh doesn't need ****.

Their a legitimate cup contender every season.

They just need effective cap management and that comes from within..

Last edited by a moderator:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The problem with trading Määttä is that without him top 4 D instantly becomes the Penguins biggest need...and that's what Määttä is.

As such I can only see him being dealt in a 'change of scenery' type deal for another young top 4 defenseman...which probably takes Buffalo out of the conversation.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Aside from the value not being there, imo, I would decline.

The Pens need D so if Maatta is going out, a D should be coming back.

Also, the Pens will have some decent cap space this summer. MAF will be gone, Kunitz off the books. Right there that's almost $11mil.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Aside from the value not being there, imo, I would decline.

The Pens need D so if Maatta is going out, a D should be coming back.

Also, the Pens will have some decent cap space this summer. MAF will be gone, Kunitz off the books. Right there that's almost $11mil.

Problem is expansion.

Pens are protecting Letang, Schultz and probably Dumo. So any #4 defender will be exposed and more than likely picked by Vegas.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maatta before his multiple injuries might have been worth Reinhart with a small add. But he hasn't been the same player since. If either of Dumoulin or Maatta aren't traded, one will be taken in the ED. So Pitt will either trade one for slightly less than they're worth, or take the L and lose one to LGK.

Maatta's great he just doesn't fit our fast style unfortunately.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I actually think Girgensons would thrive in Sullivans system, more so than being 'just a 4th liner'. Theres still more to come from him.

I think theres more to come from Maatta too, so I understand Pens fans not wanting to move him for a 'maybe'

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I know all about Disco. He ruined Simon Despres.

Nah, he was fantastic when we first got him- not even a little bit ruined. What happened was the Avs... The Barrie headshot followed up on his return by the crosscheck to the head from Landy is what ruined Despres. Well, that and the Pens somehow thinking it was Scuderi propping up Desi and not vice versa.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No thanks. I'd take a flier on Girgs but not at the expense of Maatta.

We like him just fine. 22 year olds who can contribute in a contender's top 4 are rare, even if - gasp - they're playing fewer minutes than they had previous years.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think Matta for Bogo+++ could work out. Bogo should fit the Pens much better.
Problem is the absolutely terrible Bogo-contract.

Sabres doesn't really have anything that matches the value of Maata.

Hopefully our players will increase in value after being freed from Bylsma. Hard to trade when everyone is looking bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad