Proposal: Maatta - Shattenkirk

jaystelestrator

Jun 21, 2012
PIT gives up a young, cost controlled Dman with hopes that the saved money can be put toward a new Shattenkirk deal. STL gets a Dman who will be back for the playoffs who can help them both this year, and going forward. Thoughts?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Blues don't need or want Maatta. No thank you.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Basically what the other poster said - it doesn't take into account the needs of the Blues. There's just no point in discussing this.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I don't get this fascination with Shattenkirk for Pittsburgh. Would he help just about every team in the coming playoffs? Certainly. But how is Pittsburgh affording a right-side D of Letang/Schultz/Shattenkirk beyond that? Or even just Letang and Shattenkirk tbh? This long-term benefit that makes trading Maatta for a rental worth it really escapes me.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Can't say i'm interested in Maatta in the slightest but Pens would also be foolish to trade him for Shattenkirk who they would likely view as a rental

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Letang and Schultz are 2 of the best offensive Dmen in the NHL and Daley is more than competent in the offensive zone. Maatta for a rental is not smart at all.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dont want Maata.

Unless there aren't any teams in on Shattenkirk, he's not going to Pittsburgh. Their 1st and whatever prospect they can offer can be beaten by other teams.

mwalluk

Jul 2, 2009
Dont want Maata.

Unless there aren't any teams in on Shattenkirk, he's not going to Pittsburgh. Their 1st and whatever prospect they can offer can be beaten by other teams.

I wouldn't go that far. Technically Murray can still be considered a prospect. A 1st and Murray wouldn't be matched nor beat by any other team. Now by no means am I advocating trading Murray, let alone for a rental, just proving how fallacious your statement is.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I wouldn't go that far. Technically Murray can still be considered a prospect. A 1st and Murray wouldn't be matched nor beat by any other team. Now by no means am I advocating trading Murray, let alone for a rental, just proving how fallacious your statement is.

If you think Murray still counts a prospect then please by all means, offer him + PIT 1st for Shattenkirk :laugh:

mwalluk

Jul 2, 2009
If you think Murray still counts a prospect then please by all means, offer him + PIT 1st for Shattenkirk :laugh:

"A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club."

Please re-read my post. I specifically said I'm no advocating trading Murray, nor would I, nor am I a GM, just simply pointing out how fallacious the previous poster's statement was.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pens decline immediately unless there is another significant asset coming back.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club."

Please re-read my post. I specifically said I'm no advocating trading Murray, nor would I, nor am I a GM, just simply pointing out how fallacious the previous poster's statement was.

Murray's played in more than 45 games so still doesn't make sense.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

Even by that measure, Murray has played 47 career regular season NHL games as well as the 21 playoff games. So, by your measure of 45 games for a goaltender before his 24th birthday, wouldn't Murray already not "officially" be a prospect?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
PIT gives up a young, cost controlled Dman with hopes that the saved money can be put toward a new Shattenkirk deal. STL gets a Dman who will be back for the playoffs who can help them both this year, and going forward. Thoughts?

Uhhh... Am I missing something here? Where's the incentive for Pittsburgh?

There's no way any GM would trade (in your words) "a young cost controlled Dman" for a pending FA. None. Especially when we already have two players who fit the mold of said Dman in Letang and Schultz.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Easy pass. Maatta will be had in a package for a big fish forward by the TD or the off season unless he's picked up off ED.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
All I can do is sigh.....

mwalluk

Jul 2, 2009
Even by that measure, Murray has played 47 career regular season NHL games as well as the 21 playoff games. So, by your measure of 45 games for a goaltender before his 24th birthday, wouldn't Murray already not "officially" be a prospect?

considering this very site, not the board, but the actual site still lists him as a prospect.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Are Blues fans counting on Shattenkirk leaving in free agency at this point?

Blues aren't going to open the checkbook for basically our 3rd best RHD. Petro and Parayko are better than Shattenkirk. If he was a LHD, then this wouldn't even be a discussion.

The Blues have larger holes to solve on their roster and some upcoming RFAs in the next 2 years that will eat up what would have to be spent on Shattenkirk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad