Maatta out for year, surgery completed and successful, no long-term impact on career

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think it's more likely that he either came back too soon before it was fully healed, or that he just re-injured it rather than "omg, the Dr. botched the surgery". Shoulder injuries are horrible to get fixed back to normal.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Off-season shoulder surgery, cancer, surgery to remove that cancer and now another shoulder injury. Has to be overwhelming. I don't think the kid was ever going to be right this year anyway after all of that. It's good that he's going to get a really long time to heal and clear his mind a bit after going through so much.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Hopefully won't be a recovery period as long as last time.

Will probably be longer if anything. He came back faster than expected last time and it didn't work out too well. He's a quick healer though, or he's an android that doesn't feel pain.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Will probably be longer if anything. He came back faster than expected last time and it didn't work out too well. He's a quick healer though, or he's an android that doesn't feel pain.

this is what I was thinking. Take the entire 6-8 months this time

Last edited:

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Great news, tough kid.

Eh, we'll have to wait and see if it's really great news. I have never seen a team press release after a surgery that said "Oh my God we completely ****ed it up, he'll never be able to move his arm again. Amputation appointment is set for Tuesday."

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Eh, we'll have to wait and see if it's really great news. I have never seen a team press release after a surgery that said "Oh my God we completely ****ed it up, he'll never be able to move his arm again. Amputation appointment is set for Tuesday."

Even the Pgh media would have a difficult time hiding the fact that Maatta has one arm....

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
more for my own personal edification, but does the pens being based in a medical hotbed like pittsburgh mean a higher incidence of these procedures being done locally? do most teams send these guys to be operated on by 'superstar' surgeons all over the world?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
There are some very good orthos in Pgh, for sure.
I've been seeing Bradley for my knee on and off for years, he repaired my left knee back in 2002.
I kinda wish he'd done the surgery this time! He's very good and has been w Steelers for ages.
Though I thought Chip Burke was the local shoulder expert....?
Or was he part of the "old" Pens med team?.....

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Though to proclaim "no long-term impact" on Maatta's career seems plain stupid.
Shoulders are always hard to get right and hard to rehab, and as a defenseman it takes a beating.
And how many games did Olli last before re-injuring it? Like 10-12?
The questions re coming back too soon are going to remain I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00